SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-09, 08:15 AM   #1
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0
What keeps modders clear of UBM?

Hi!

I'm just curious what keeps our great modders well clear of U-boat missions? I think lurker is making real progress with his OM705 - I was quite impressed about what he has done sofar - but where are the rest? Is it a "rewriten history" as a start point or just fleet boat operations why the u-boats seems to lack attention? As I said, I think lurker has already done a man's job with OM, but there is still something to do. A small list after couple fast trials:

1. Orange circle showing the position of the sub is back in the water
2. Torpedo Data Panel is again auto identifying the targets, not releated with realism settings
3. Ship sighted messages displayed also when only periscope is used
4. Can't go back from periscopes to conning tower/control room
5. Red/Yellow crosshair is back in the binoculars
6. Missing complete german language package
7. If there is no radar on the boat, using the F9 gives strange results; if you are on the bridge the view will open, or if you are at attack scope, you'll find yourself "sitting on top of the scope" (at surface just behind the forward lookouts). A camera issue releated with radar?!?

I'm sure all these things would be just basics to our modders, as they have solved them many times before, so that's why I'm thinking why nobody seems to be too much interested? These problems solved + lurkers OM would already give a new life to the U-boats in Silent Hunter, I think.

Greetings,
-RC-
Rosencrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 08:54 AM   #2
rubenandthejets
中国水兵

Downloads: 20

I'd love to see the S Boot playable in SH4 v1.5....
Old 06-05-09, 09:14 AM   #3
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I think that so far there are still way many more people playing SH3 rather than UBM. Yes, Lurker has done a fantastic job with OM, but still UBM is a long way from reaching the level of a modded SH3, and modding it in some aspects is not as easy as with SH3.

For example, if I would have been able to port over my optics mod and the slide-out compass from SH3 to UBM, I would have already forgotten SH3.

But I can't, and I don't like playing UBM without that mod, so I'm more or less stuck with SH3. However, I like the US interface in SH4, so I play US submarines gladly with it.

I bet that many more people share similar views, plus there is always the hardware matter: People with older computers can't shift to SH4 easily.

All that reduced number of players means of course, statistically, also a reduced number of modders.

My 2 cents
Old 06-05-09, 11:51 AM   #4
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Well, RC, at least some of your complaints have been addressed, or you can do it yourself.

1. Orange circle showing the position of the sub is back in the water
- You can get rid of it by creating an empty or completely transparent umark.dds

2. Torpedo Data Panel is again auto identifying the targets, not releated with realism settings
- Get rid of it by replacing ships' names with - (minuses) in the file Names.cfg, of the Roster folder

4. Can't go back from periscopes to conning tower/control room
- Yes you can, by making a few changes in Commands.cfg.
This is a hint about what I mean. To learn more, analyze the similar file of SH3. They work in the same way.

[Cmd16]
Name=Periscope_camera
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F020003
;Key0=0x73,,"F4"
Key0=0x72,,"F3"
Page=0x26000000,3702
GoBack=Conning_tower_camera

6. Missing complete german language package
What do you mean by complete? Everything that is used by the game has been changed to German by Spax and other modders. Yes, there are a few audio effects missing, if compared to SH3, but this is hardcoded and no modder could bring them back AFAIK.

Coming to your other issues, I never experienced no. 3, I don't have the crosshair in the binoculars (no. 5) - but I don't know what in the wide mix of mods I use did remove it, and I cannot check no. 7, because I completely adapted the keyboard to the style of SH3.

Coming to Hitman's problems, I must once again praise the modders of SH4, as FLBSale brought the sliding dials in the game and they are fully functional. Yes, the menu1024 thing is a real PITA compared to SH3 (for instance, I know how to change it myself in SH3, but was unable to do the same in SH4), but what FLB accomplished is living proof that it can be understood and changed to one's liking.

What I feel still needs much attention is the submarines' hydro behavior (mostly in foul weather) and damage model. Campaign too might benefit from more work and the interactivity brought by the game (far superior to SH3) with the use of radio messages still is far from reaching its full potential.

dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 12:15 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

In all reality, if you search the Uboat forum and us OM as you base mod, add the other mods created(like German voice mods) using JSGME. The player can have a great mod package! I did it. I used OM, dropped in Real Enviro 5.0 found in the Fleetboat mod forum. I dropped in the voice mod for German voices and ta-da nice German Uboat campaign with some trimmings

Only problem, I went to shoot a torpedo and completely forgot how the Germans did it.
Old 06-05-09, 02:26 PM   #6
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
submarines' damage model. Campaign too might benefit from more work

What wrong with the Sub Damage model in OM ?

Also the same question about the Campaign ?
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 03:22 PM   #7
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
Default Op Monsun

I might not agree on the ship damage model ala RFB, but comparing the "op monsun" to stock 1.5 UBM bears no tought

and Spaxs German language pack has been installed in my HD since operation drumbeat (sorry, too lazy to look hows its spelled in German)

try Op for a couple weeks and see for yourself... the campaign is great and as I had said earlier in the Op thread, watch out for the RAF...

have you gotten orders yet to sail from France to the lesser antilles and crossing your fingers for a milchcow.... even if you top your fuel at the neutral Spain

that´s sea life!!!

AVG: will try your enviroment 5.0 on my install, thnx for the suggestion!!!

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 03:44 PM   #8
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:

Worked great for me!
Old 06-05-09, 03:51 PM   #9
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Come to think of it, why is this thread posted anyway? I see three ready made mod packs. I see a handful of smaller sound, music and graphics mods.
Old 06-05-09, 04:35 PM   #10
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

----------

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 06-05-09 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 05:11 PM   #11
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjimeneza View Post
I might not agree on the ship damage model ala RFB, but comparing the "op monsun" to stock 1.5 UBM bears no tought

and Spaxs German language pack has been installed in my HD since operation drumbeat (sorry, too lazy to look hows its spelled in German)

try Op for a couple weeks and see for yourself... the campaign is great and as I had said earlier in the Op thread, watch out for the RAF...

have you gotten orders yet to sail from France to the lesser antilles and crossing your fingers for a milchcow.... even if you top your fuel at the neutral Spain

that´s sea life!!!

I agree totally. OpMonsun gives a very good U-Boat experience in SH4, as well as the long list of other mods. There are certainly more US/Pacific based ones, but it is a US/Pacific based game, that is too be expected.

I share your opinion of the damage model, and it is keeping me from spending much time with OM until I can sit down for the hours needed to tweak it to what I feel is more realistic.. but that is an issue of difference of preference and has nothing to do with modders avoiding the U-Boat side of things.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 05:17 PM   #12
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
Default how to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
I agree totally. OpMonsun gives a very good U-Boat experience in SH4, as well as the long list of other mods. There are certainly more US/Pacific based ones, but it is a US/Pacific based game, that is too be expected.

I share your opinion of the damage model, and it is keeping me from spending much time with OM until I can sit down for the hours needed to tweak it to what I feel is more realistic.. but that is an issue of difference of preference and has nothing to do with modders avoiding the U-Boat side of things.
Lurker, its your mod, but can you point us on how to revert the new damage model to a "faster" sinking one....

thanks!

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 06:31 PM   #13
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjimeneza View Post
Lurker, its your mod, but can you point us on how to revert the new damage model to a "faster" sinking one....

thanks!
I would not be a "simple" task to undo the damage model as it is integrated into all the units in OM.

A lot of work / testing went into it by Observer and I'm more than satisfied with it.

One things for sure, "everybody" as there own opinion on how the ships / subs should "realistic act" within SH4 and no matter what I do, it will never make everone "happy".
Old 06-05-09, 06:48 PM   #14
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

I don't think anyone expects it would be quick or easy, nor does anyone expect you to change it an any sort of a patch. He was just wondering what values would have to be changed in a 1 ship example. Figuring out the rest of the ships should be intuitive after that.

Surely people editing it to their own tastes on their own PCs is acceptable.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 07:55 PM   #15
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
He was just wondering what values would have to be changed in a 1 ship example.
Go to it

http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1378

Quote:
Surely people editing it to their own tastes on their own PCs is acceptable
I don't have any problem with that