SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-15, 09:31 PM   #1471
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Was pretty sick this weekend...nothing like modding to make you feel better!

The 12 pounder guns have been installed. I skinned the ship, and added lots of details, including ports for the anchors and recesses for the 6" guns and 12 pdrs in the hull.

I am also experimenting with more complex rigging on the ships - this model has circular wire spreaders for the top cables in the rigging - you can see these on the masts of similar ships of the era.

I've been experimenting with simpler skins, with decals and 3d objects to give a greater sense of detail.

Like the "Lusitania" model, the railings are made using an alpha channel, which saves a huge number of polygons and looks better (IMHO) than actual, 3d rails.

Not 100% happy with the portholes, which may need to be redone...
you r very good at modeling, do u think u could help out with Day of Infamy?
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 04:13 PM   #1472
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by avers View Post
you r very good at modeling, do u think u could help out with Day of Infamy?
That would be up to that mod's creator, and for the moment, I honestly can't work on more than "Wolves of the Kaiser".

Work on the "Monmouth" class is going well - it was successfully imported into SHIII and will be imported into SH4 soon.

Someone earlier had asked about if the mod will have sailing vessels? The first of hopefully many...Note the 3d cargo hold.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 10:17 AM   #1473
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Someone earlier had asked about if the mod will have sailing vessels? The first of hopefully many...Note the 3d cargo hold.
Me

Great to see them coming

BTW sent you some time ago a PM with a PDF of a book that included some pics of sub interior and even a persicope screenshot, did you get it?
Old 08-10-15, 12:08 PM   #1474
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

What is the situation on this ship?
Quote:

Resized the "Lusitania" to create another ship variant...representative of a medium-large liner, passenger cargo, armed merchant cruiser, troopship, or hospital ship.
The small sailing ship is very nice.
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 02:27 PM   #1475
中国水兵

One question the ships will be illuminated ?
Old 08-12-15, 03:10 PM   #1476
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

The following ships will be illuminated:

-Hospital Ships
-Diplomatic Transport Ships
-Some Neutral Ships
-Belgian Relief Commission Ships

These ships will be protected by International Law. Attacking them will result in serious renown penalties (especially hospital ships).

The liner with two funnels is on my hard drive, still not skinned yet.
Old 08-12-15, 04:13 PM   #1477
中国水兵

Ok; but some nations like Italy/Portugal/United states/Greece etc. that entered "late" in the war how do you do?
Old 08-12-15, 07:14 PM   #1478
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Ok; but some nations like Italy/Portugal/United states/Greece etc. that entered "late" in the war how do you do?
Ship lights can be added as equipment, just like guns, that is installed and deactivated on a certain date. Alternatively you can make lighted units separate units that disappear after a certain date.
Old 08-12-15, 08:25 PM   #1479
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

This looks really cool! Would it be possible to add a career option to command a German cruiser and raid shipping like the ones that they had out in the Pacific? I wish I could remember the names I just know I saw a part about them in the Great War documentary.

Edit: I found out the name of the ship! It was the SMS Emden which had captured or snk over 70,000 tons of enemy shipping.

Last edited by Ludwig van Hursh; 08-13-15 at 01:12 AM.
Ludwig van Hursh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-15, 05:22 PM   #1480
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
This looks really cool! Would it be possible to add a career option to command a German cruiser and raid shipping like the ones that they had out in the Pacific? I wish I could remember the names I just know I saw a part about them in the Great War documentary.

Edit: I found out the name of the ship! It was the SMS Emden which had captured or snk over 70,000 tons of enemy shipping.
Thank you for your comments.

All I can say is, due to the amount of work required, WOTK will be first and foremost centered on providing a realistic Total Conversion experience for World War I German undersea warfare. Rather than just throwing a few WWI subs into SH4's Pacific ambience, I intend to re-create an Early 20th Century European maritime field of battle...with new buildings, new characters, new friendly/enemy units, new marine environment, etc.

Depending on how work progresses, anything is possible. But I don't want to guarantee surface warfare at this point, given how much has to be done.

I read of the Emden when I was a boy, and I, too agree it would make for a thrilling inclusion. The ship and her captain fought brilliantly against long odds, earning the respect of both sides. Moreover, it represents single ship action and fits in well with Silent Hunter's mechanics (unlike naval operations with task forces).

In other words, wait and see!
Old 08-14-15, 08:09 PM   #1481
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Thank you for your comments.

All I can say is, due to the amount of work required, WOTK will be first and foremost centered on providing a realistic Total Conversion experience for World War I German undersea warfare. Rather than just throwing a few WWI subs into SH4's Pacific ambience, I intend to re-create an Early 20th Century European maritime field of battle...with new buildings, new characters, new friendly/enemy units, new marine environment, etc.

Depending on how work progresses, anything is possible. But I don't want to guarantee surface warfare at this point, given how much has to be done.

I read of the Emden when I was a boy, and I, too agree it would make for a thrilling inclusion. The ship and her captain fought brilliantly against long odds, earning the respect of both sides. Moreover, it represents single ship action and fits in well with Silent Hunter's mechanics (unlike naval operations with task forces).

In other words, wait and see!
Either way I'm super excited for this mod. It's hard to find good WWI stuff.

Wish I could help, but I'm not good with modelling and I don't know how SH's files work or how to do code.

Also I was wondering how much of the mod is complete?
Old 08-17-15, 01:29 PM   #1482
中国水兵

An other question, the "houses" in the harbours will be illuminated ?
Old 08-17-15, 04:11 PM   #1483
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
Either way I'm super excited for this mod. It's hard to find good WWI stuff.

Wish I could help, but I'm not good with modelling and I don't know how SH's files work or how to do code.

Also I was wondering how much of the mod is complete?

That's the $64 zillion dollar question. It will be done when it's done! Not quite ready to give estimates yet...suffice it to say that a lot still needs to be completed; for academic and work reasons I was not working on the mod for much of 2011-2013 (I needed to pass my state Bar Exam). Now that I'm barred and working more reasonable hours, I have more time to mod. If people help me then obviously it will take less time.

And I have recovered much better than I expected from the hacking attack several months ago.

Re: illuminated houses - Illuminating houses is not a very high priority because most regions in coastal Europe would probably have had to observe blackout regulations from 1914 - 1918. The US coast did not have blackouts before it joined the Allies, but IIRC the buildings in American harbors are already illuminated in stock SHIV Gold.
Old 08-24-15, 02:11 PM   #1484
中国水兵

IABL I have a book with all the blue prints of the ww1 german submarines classes and of all the german torpedos; would you want them?
Old 08-24-15, 04:28 PM   #1485
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
IABL I have a book with all the blue prints of the ww1 german submarines classes and of all the german torpedos; would you want them?

Yes, please! That would be very helpful. What is the title?