SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-15, 05:49 PM   #586
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
That's the problem with not being a modder .What do you mean by "Mark this object to be static inside scene" ?
As far as I can see, it replaces the collisionable object controller for use on "static objects", i.e. objects which are not surface, submarine, air or land units. Moreover, according to this account by urfisch, it makes objects so heavy that if an object with a static object controller attached on it falls on a boat, it will drag her to the sea bottom.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-15, 06:41 PM   #587
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
As far as I can see, it replaces the collisionable object controller for use on "static objects", i.e. objects which are not surface, submarine, air or land units. Moreover, according to this account by urfisch, it makes objects so heavy that if an object with a static object controller attached on it falls on a boat, it will drag her to the sea bottom.
The only thing I am interested in making collisionable atm is

Silent hunter 5\data\Library\undersea.GR2
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-15, 07:28 PM   #588
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:

The rocks? Try attaching the static.object controller to them through sim file.
Old 07-21-15, 03:39 PM   #589
gap
Navy Seal

Düne front leading light ready:

Modelling this one took longer than expected. Since I din't have any drawing/measures of it, I had to do it basically from scratch, with the help of the few pictures available on the web. The post is ca. 14.5 m-high, measured from the top of the concrete basement to the top of the triangular dayboard. Measures and proportions had to be inferred from pictures, and by matching railing's height and ladder's rung distance with their real standard measurements.

Last edited by gap; 01-30-20 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-21-15, 04:31 PM   #590
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Looks amazing . Its a GR2 file ?
Old 07-21-15, 04:52 PM   #591
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Looks amazing . Its a GR2 file ?
Not yet. I have a small problem with GR2 Editor. It doesn't show diffuse textures rendered on top of model. I think it is because I made it to point to an old installation of the game, on an external hard drive. Installing the game now, and then I will try running GR2E again.
Old 07-22-15, 07:58 PM   #592
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:

Quote:
The rocks? Try attaching the static.object controller to them through sim file.
Just discovered why rocks can't be collisionable in game, even with the static.object controller attached to them. If you open any terrain object you will see that this class of SH5 objects got, depending on their size and shape, one or more collision meshes. Basically some simple boxes. Missing them, rocks can't be collisionable.
Unfortunately, adding new meshes with GR2 Editor is not possible at its current state. The one chance would be "rebuilding" undersea.GR2 with the same meshes, textures, bones, etc. as the original file, but using as templete a GR2 file with 1 model and at least 9 meshes; i.e. 3 meshes for the 3 "grass" types, which are not supposed to be collisionable, and 6 meshes for the 3 rock types, 2 for each rock, one for the visible rock, and one for use as its collision mesh. Anyway SH5 rocks are placed randomly, and they change position everytime you turn the camera. They are designed more for eye candy than else, and I am not even sure that my idea would work. Maybe it would be better leaving undersea.GR2 alone, and creating some brand-new rock objects, for use as collisionable terrain objects to be placed ad hoc the same way blockships are placed around scapa.

On a side note: I have noticed that ports completely miss reflect meshes. Can someone confirm that ports' buildings, docks, etc. have reflections on the sea surface?

EDIT: okay, nevermind, just checked and they do have reflections.

Last edited by gap; 07-22-15 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 09:07 PM   #593
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Quote:
Just discovered why rocks can't be collisionable in game, even with the static.object controller attached to them. If you open any terrain object you will see that this class of SH5 objects got, depending on their size and shape, one or more collision meshes. Basically some simple boxes. Missing them, rocks can't be collisionable.
Unfortunately, adding new meshes with GR2 Editor is not possible at its current state. The one chance would be "rebuilding" undersea.GR2 with the same meshes, textures, bones, etc. as the original file, but using as templete a GR2 file with 1 model and at least 9 meshes; i.e. 3 meshes for the 3 "grass" types, which are not supposed to be collisionable, and 6 meshes for the 3 rock types, 2 for each rock, one for the visible rock, and one for use as its collision mesh. Anyway SH5 rocks are placed randomly, and they change position everytime you turn the camera. They are designed more for eye candy than else, and I am not even sure that my idea would work. Maybe it would be better leaving undersea.GR2 alone, and creating some brand-new rock objects, for use as collisionable terrain objects to be placed ad hoc the same way blockships are placed around scapa.

On a side note: I have noticed that ports completely miss reflect meshes. Can someone confirm that ports' buildings, docks, etc. have reflections on the sea surface?

EDIT: okay, nevermind, just checked and they do have reflections.
The portainer crane (containers were not used until the 60s lol) that sits over the water in Memel that I placed there has a shadow over the water . All cranes have a shadow on the water . All buildings and docks but they don't extend far enough out if the sun is low on the horizon . Re rocks , I could just modify an iceberg .
This is Memel .

Last edited by THE_MASK; 07-22-15 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-23-15, 08:55 AM   #594
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
The portainer crane that sits over the water in Memel that I placed there has a shadow over the water . All cranes have a shadow on the water .
ehm sober... I was talking about water reflections actually

Quote:
All buildings and docks but they don't extend far enough out if the sun is low on the horizon .
Do you mean that shadows casted in game don't follow sun levation angle?

Quote:
Re rocks , I could just modify an iceberg .
An iceberg will do
But remember that icebergs are sea units, whereas undersea rocks should be set as terrain objects. It makes a big difference, as far as sim and zon files are concerned.

Quote:
(containers were not used until the 60s lol)
That's true... never thought about that
But how do you know that the cranes portrayed in game are precisely portainers? Cranes in general have been used in harbors since the Middle Age
Old 07-29-15, 09:52 PM   #595
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345
Uploads: 0

id like to make a suggestion and an inquiry. ive noticed from various angles and just hours of watching and analyzing that the light shafts poking through the clouds tend to be a bit much. as this makes the game look amazing while parading about your bridge and rumbling about with your external camera making screen shots i find that myself wanting that real feel. i while back i cant remember what i did whether it was through this mod or what but i toned them down a little and it made a world of a difference. i think i just used stock in that area. my question now, is there a way to adjust these manually or is it like a package deal. you adjust this and it effects this or need a special program to get into it? or is it possible for you to make an add on for less or toned down light shafts ?
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-15, 05:05 AM   #596
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
id like to make a suggestion and an inquiry. ive noticed from various angles and just hours of watching and analyzing that the light shafts poking through the clouds tend to be a bit much. as this makes the game look amazing while parading about your bridge and rumbling about with your external camera making screen shots i find that myself wanting that real feel. i while back i cant remember what i did whether it was through this mod or what but i toned them down a little and it made a world of a difference. i think i just used stock in that area. my question now, is there a way to adjust these manually or is it like a package deal. you adjust this and it effects this or need a special program to get into it? or is it possible for you to make an add on for less or toned down light shafts ?
Hi drakkhen20, for a start try replacing the lights.cfg file coming with DynEnv (path: data/cfg), with the stock file. IIRC one or more of the LightShafts parameters under the [HDR Exterior] section should apply to your query. Let me know if it works
Old 07-30-15, 03:25 PM   #597
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

ok so messing around with the lights config isnt going to effect other things? as in cause problems ?
Old 07-30-15, 05:24 PM   #598
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
ok so messing around with the lights config isnt going to effect other things? as in cause problems ?
Just use notepad and edit the lightshafts for HDR Exterior . It couldn't be easier .
Edit the file and then go to a single mission and check out the new settings . Exit to the games main screen and edit the file again and then go to the single mission again to look at it . You don't have to close the game to look at every new edit in game .
Old 08-03-15, 07:16 PM   #599
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

alright! cool, thanks guys!
Old 08-04-15, 01:16 AM   #600
gap
Navy Seal