SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-29-24, 12:10 PM   #556
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Geez, we're this far into the thread and we haven't really talked about what to avoid.

Modern military MRE's- They are expensive. That flameless heater you add water to probably doesn't work. They are designed to do more than keep you fed, they will also keep you awake for more than a day. For all of that money you spent, the modern MRE's have short shelf lives.
Military MRE's are more of a head trip. You feel good because they're supposed to be ideal. IF you're a grunt in the Infantry and the Sgt. hands them out every couple of days, that is.

Survival Zippos (lighters)- I learned this the hard way. Yeah, its neat to get a steam punk looking insert for your Zippo. There are several problems, however. The neat-o gaskets that are supposed to keep the fuel from leaking don't do ####. In fact, I stuck a normal, stock Zippo next to a Zippo with an insert kit on a shelf after I fueled both of them to the top. I came back one month later and the regular Zippo was fine. The "survival Zippo" was dry as a bone. Aside from throwing this lighter at the head of your enemies, save your money and don't bother. Want to know what works GREAT for storing lighter fuel? That plastic "squeeze bottle" it came in. For the most part, they don't leak and the fluid will stay stable for YEARS.

Modern SUV's and "go anywhere" vehicles- Most of them feature limited four wheel drive and an automatic transmission. THAT is enough of a handicap in a long term survival situation. Ask yourself, WHY the are you going off road in the first place?? Civilization made a big deal about building roads and highways, but all of sudden you know better.
I promise, there are a LOT more sink holes and mud bogs in open fields and the forest than there are on the interstate.
In second place is diesel vs. pump gas. Diesels are great, until they aren't. Drive into your local "gas-an'-go". The odds are that they don't have a diesel pump. Modern diesel engines just make things worse. You'll want either a deep stock of fuel injectors, filters, and motor oil or you'll want to have a buddy who is a diesel mechanic. The last problem with diesel fuel is that the local authorities will WANT as much of it as they can get. It will become "off limits" as long as there are earth moving/construction equipment and emergency vehicles out there that NEED it.

Hunting and gathering- So, you got that fancy sniper scope for your AR-15 and more ammo than the Colombian Army. NOW what? Being able to drop a deer at 100 yards don't mean #### if you don't know how to butcher it. What, you're going to carve out a T-Bone steak and then walk away?
Carrion calls in the predators. You may NEED all that ammo sooner than you thought. Besides, instead of dropping that deer- maybe its better if you just FOLLOW its tracks. Trust me, the deer knows a LOT more about surviving in the wild than you do.
Next up is "I have all the food I could ever want, its growing all around me!". That salad you made is great, as long as it doesn't contain Sumac or Poison Ivy leaves or quills. Know what you are eating. A botanical guide book is just as important as a First Aid book. Speaking of..

First Aid- First Aid isn't charts and graphs or a 50 pound kit. Its about as hands-on as things can get. In order to KNOW what you're doing, it takes practice, patience, and a cast iron stomach. You aren't doing much good for the patient if you're barfing in the grass. If YOU'RE the patient, you really are facing a tall hill. Doing First Aid on yourself is a losing proposition. More than likely, you're already in a lot of pain or you're going into shock. Not the best time to be breaking out a book and finding the right chapter.

Now, discuss amongst yourselves.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-24, 03:40 PM   #557
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Modern SUV's and "go anywhere" vehicles- Most of them feature limited four wheel drive and an automatic transmission. THAT is enough of a handicap in a long term survival situation. Ask yourself, WHY are you going off road in the first place?? Civilization made a big deal about building roads and highways, but all of sudden you know better.
I promise, there are a LOT more sink holes and mud bogs in open fields and the forest than there are on the interstate.
I agree with most of your post except this.

I can easily imagine several scenarios where traversing an open field would be less dangerous than the traveling on the interstate. It could be a parking lot of abandoned vehicles for one thing. For another bandits could be lurking at every choke point and highway cut, and I don't think many open fields will have military roadblocks set up in them.

Then there is the issue of snow. Not sure if you get that stuff where you live but 4WD comes in real handy on both icy snow covered highways and icy snow covered open fields alike.

In any SHTF scenario travel of all kinds will become much more dangerous and will be severely restricted. Best to do any necessary moving around/getting the heck out of Dodge before it gets to that point.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-24, 05:00 PM   #558
ET2SN
ET2/SS

I survived just fine in northern Maine with a two wheel drive pick-up. That includes some heavy winters, nasty mud seasons, and some semi-serious back-roads stuff.

My point being, if you don't know what's in the mud bog- don't find out the hard way.
Old 03-01-24, 12:18 AM   #559
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

I think most people have an incredible will to survive. Some don't. Which of these two you happen to be will likely become apparent only when you are faced with a real life or death decision.

Do not watch the following video if you have a weak stomach.

Old 03-01-24, 03:05 AM   #560
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Wouldn't mind that Diesel Hilux from Top Gear, that thing is incredibly tough.

Old 03-01-24, 05:08 AM   #561
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Maybe I should learn how to shortcut a modern car, I have no real idea, just think it does not work as simple as in the movies. When brown stuff hits the fan and the zombies are flogging into town for lunch, sooner or later probably enough of these since latest owner-free cars will stand around, accepting a new driver who just wants to get out of Dodge... I mean an ebike with small trailer will not get me that far, eh?
Old 04-06-24, 03:19 AM   #562
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Maybe I should learn how to shortcut a modern car
There's always this way.

In other news it turns out it wasn't a bad idea at all to use zero interest credit card periods to buy pre 1933 gold.
Old 04-06-24, 07:33 AM   #563
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Icon12

You can't eat gold.

Reason this out, in a true survival situation NO ONE will be willing to sell you their potatoes, first aid kit, ammo, or gun. What, exactly, are you planning to buy?
Old 04-06-24, 08:19 AM   #564
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
You can't eat gold.

Reason this out, in a true survival situation NO ONE will be willing to sell you their potatoes, first aid kit, ammo, or gun. What, exactly, are you planning to buy?
Gold is more about survival in Asia, not this messed up place. If Asians get a surplus they buy gold. If they need money they sell gold. At the moment my real problem is that me and my gold aren't in Asia.
Old 04-06-24, 09:57 AM   #565
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I agree with most of your post except this.

I can easily imagine several scenarios where traversing an open field would be less dangerous than the traveling on the interstate. It could be a parking lot of abandoned vehicles for one thing. For another bandits could be lurking at every choke point and highway cut, and I don't think many open fields will have military roadblocks set up in them.

In any SHTF scenario travel of all kinds will become much more dangerous and will be severely restricted. Best to do any necessary moving around/getting the heck out of Dodge before it gets to that point.
Yeah, buddy, that's for sure.

The problem most of us have with traveling during a meltdown, one that gets reinforced by movies, is that we think we can make our way across fields, shelter in "abandoned" barns and houses, collect resources as we find them: most fields and land is owned by someone. Down here, anything over 10 acres it is always farmers and ranchers. And believe me, if the SHTF, you do NOT want to be walking through a fellow's pasture. You sure don't want to be caught breaking into his farmhouse or shed, looking for cans of beans (even if it's "to feed your child").

In the movies, some city dweller/group makes his way out of his natural habitat (urban center) and leisurely makes his way into the country. Big mistake.
Old 04-06-24, 10:25 AM   #566
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Gold is more about survival in Asia, not this messed up place. If Asians get a surplus they buy gold. If they need money they sell gold. At the moment my real problem is that me and my gold aren't in Asia.
What you'll need are "Rubes".

Even in Asia, it would go down something like this:

Let's say I have a lean-to and some canned beans.
If you offer me one or two gold bars in trade, I'll counter with an offer for you to pack sand..

..so you can safely store your heavy treasure.

See? You're asking me to trade away the stuff that will keep me alive for some metal bars or coins.

BTW, if its bad enough, Asia will have their own problems and they may not have any room for a rich Gringo with deep pockets.
Old 04-06-24, 11:01 AM   #567
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
My point being, if you don't know what's in the mud bog- don't find out the hard way.
....you've obviously never made whiskey with peat!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-24, 11:30 AM   #568
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
… BTW, if its bad enough, Asia will have their own problems and they may not have any room for a rich Gringo Gwailou with deep pockets.
Fixed it for ya, no charge.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-24, 01:02 AM   #569
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Gringo is pretty universal, I is one.

I'm also a proud member of the Baka Gaijin.

Remember when the US was bestest buddies with the Philippines, then we weren't, then we were again?

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival