SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-09, 06:08 PM   #16
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

A 6th rate or something. (HMS Surprise )

I might have already bought Surprise, except that all the guns were brass, and I didn't deel like having to figure out how to black them
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-09, 05:50 PM   #17
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default HMS Suprise

I checked out the HMS Suprise on the net. Holy Christ!!! I tip my hat to you sir. 1:48 scale. At $700.00. Over 4'-0" in length. Get it!

Regarding brass.
I think brass will tarnish with time. I have a couple of brass server trays my mom had cleaned some years ago and they are showing a pretty good coat of tarnishing. If not find a piece brass somewhere and test different solutions. Then with a fine brush you could weather the brass on your own. If not asked someone who deals with brass. Such as a musician, plumber, etc. They may give you a tip on what works with brass. I'll check with a couple of architects, engineers and/or contractors and see what they say.
Schani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 01:58 PM   #18
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

True, or I could stop at Rio Grande jewelry supply, and get some patina that will oxidize it black in 1 pass.

I was looking at 5-700 bucks as a range for the "man cave." Problem is that the good place to put it in in reach of my 2 year old, hence another reason to wait.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 02:33 PM   #19
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default A different place

Tater,

What you need is a plan B good place, until the 2-year old turns 21. I could loan you our missile launch control center (Juilet 0) the D.O.D. sold us a couple of years ago. A truly righteous man cave. That should keep the 2-year old pirate at bay for awhile.
Old 02-03-09, 04:43 PM   #20
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Might want to check these people out

http://www.motionmodels.com/

probably pricey though
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 12:28 PM   #21
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default Those are some models!

WOW!!!

Them be some fine models. And they are just a wee bit pricey. The best I could devine was for the USS Arizona 1/350 scale. $1,500.00. Almost everthing else, you have to call for a price. The old if you have to ask; you can't afford it. But the detail is exquisite. I believe made of wood. Boy I could really go to town. I'm guessing that the USS Lexington and other carriers would go for about $2,500.00 or so. I looked at the Gato/Balao's. At 36" (possibly 1/144 scale) maybe at or under $1,000.00. Still a tempting site to peruse through. I bookmarked the site just in case. I think in the future I'll find a damn good reason to justify a purhcase.
Old 02-06-09, 02:35 PM   #22
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default Another fine mess

Well thanks a lot Steam Wake!

I checked out that Motion Models web site. To cool! I then went to the motor pool web site.I found the USS Yorktown (CV-10) 1/350 model from the Franklin Mint. I then out of curiosity I looked at the Franklin Mint site. And here are the results. Looking at the Yorktown on all three sites, looks to be exactly the same model. Motion models; no price unless you call them. The Franklin Mint $1,000.00. The Motor Pool (http://www.themotorpool.net) with shipping and handling and my 15% membership discount this month. $507.45. As I am seeing it,the Motor Pool carries the Franklin Model with in turn gets from Motion Models that in the end is costing me less than half the original price. Thus within a month this thread has cost me nearly $1,000.00. The Yorktown is shipping. The USS Flasher and the Type VIIC is still in limbo.

And again a Bohemian (Czech) and his money are soon parted.
Old 02-06-09, 03:16 PM   #23
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Now, that cut up sub looks like something i'd like.

No patience or skill to build one so that's the ticket for me.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 12:22 PM   #24
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default It's Here!!!

...Well one is here. The USS Yorktown (CV-10) arrived yesterday. I knew it would get here when I had to be down in the Fargo office. Just to drive me crazy, one of the engineers here called down there to let me know it had arrived. The bastard! But I couldn't be happier. She is beautiful. Constructed with Mahogany and die-cast metal with 40 die-cast aircraft (One slightly damaged. No big whoop.) The detail is exquisite. From the mesh netting along No. 2 port side elevator to the radar and radio arrays. The 1944-45 MS 33/10a camoflage paint scheme. We messured her at 29 3/4". She is worth every 50,745 pennies. Then the secondary bonus. When I returned to Grand Forks and opened her up. We had it awe factor going. I then went to the Motorpool website to download a pic of the flightdeck aircraft set-up. That is when I noticed something odd. The price had jumped to $999.95. I was tell Mike on the way back; that I couldn't figure out how a subsidiary company could sell a model at half the price the Franklin Mint was issuing. Which in turn came from Motion Models. Hell, had I known that I would have bought two and put the second one on E-Bay as mentioned earlier in this thread by Tater. Oh, Well. Still this is great. She is now on the mantel. And I can't wait for lunch so I can get home and admire my new aquisition.
Now the only thing left is when will the USS Flasher and the Type VIIC begin shipping? Life is great!
Old 02-13-09, 02:04 PM   #25
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schani
...Well one is here. The USS Yorktown (CV-10) arrived yesterday. I knew it would get here when I had to be down in the Fargo office. Just to drive me crazy, one of the engineers here called down there to let me know it had arrived. The bastard! But I couldn't be happier. She is beautiful. Constructed with Mahogany and die-cast metal with 40 die-cast aircraft (One slightly damaged. No big whoop.) The detail is exquisite. From the mesh netting along No. 2 port side elevator to the radar and radio arrays. The 1944-45 MS 33/10a camoflage paint scheme. We messured her at 29 3/4". She is worth every 50,745 pennies. Then the secondary bonus. When I returned to Grand Forks and opened her up. We had it awe factor going. I then went to the Motorpool website to download a pic of the flightdeck aircraft set-up. That is when I noticed something odd. The price had jumped to $999.95. I was tell Mike on the way back; that I couldn't figure out how a subsidiary company could sell a model at half the price the Franklin Mint was issuing. Which in turn came from Motion Models. Hell, had I known that I would have bought two and put the second one on E-Bay as mentioned earlier in this thread by Tater. Oh, Well. Still this is great. She is now on the mantel. And I can't wait for lunch so I can get home and admire my new aquisition.
Now the only thing left is when will the USS Flasher and the Type VIIC begin shipping? Life is great!

Show us pictures! I'd love to see it where your going to put it
Old 02-13-09, 02:12 PM   #26
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default Poor Skills

My picture postiing skill are severely lacking. I tried on the proving grounds site to post some pics of our missile launch control center to no avail. I am going take a few pics over the weekend. I'll give it another try here and see if I have better luck.
Old 02-19-09, 03:20 PM   #27
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default The USS Barb is here!!!

This morning the UPS guy came to the office bearing gifts! The USS Barb! Though the on-line catalog said it would be the USS Flasher. I like Fluckey's boat all the same. Also the Type VII cut away was included. The Type VII is only ONE model not two. It has removable side plates. I kinda thought that was what it would be after looking closer to the websites.

Military Issue also threw in the 2009 winter catalog. They now have a Type VII 1/125 scale for $395.00 and a 1/350? scale Liberty Ship for $995.00. Both made of Philippine Mahogany. Same as the Yorktown and Barb.
WILL POWER! I'm done for now. Just sit back and admire my new additions to the house.

Also (with assembly required) are 1/350 scale plastic Akagi and Kongo, $349.00 and $199.00 respectively.

Back to the original RSColonel querry. There is a 1/72 scale (52" long) plastic Gato-class for $99.95. It says simulated hull panels. Not sure if that means removable for cut-a-way view.

Still kinda eyeing that 1/125 scale Type VII. NO!!! Will power.