SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-09, 05:00 AM   #1
RSColonel_131st
Medic

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Little Off-Topic: Pre-Built Submarine Models for Display?

Hi Guys

I hope I'm not getting hurt for posting this here but I'm sure some of you can be helpful.

I'm looking for a pre-built (rather: finished) model kit, ideally of a IXD2 as in the addon, but I'll also take a VIIC. This one here is great: http://www.modelshipbuilding.com/144uboot.htm but I can't get any answers from that website by mail.

I had once upon a time my own (badly built) VIIC on display, but my cleaning maid broke it, and as I neither have time nor energy nor skills anymore, I'd really like to replace it with a finished kit. If anyone knows where to order such a thing, please let me know.

Thanks

Helmut
RSColonel_131st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 09:33 AM   #2
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

1:144 scale VIIC. You have to buy 2 from this wholesale site, but 2 subs for $80 ain't bad:

http://www.bcmini.com/id35.html

Order page for it:
http://www.bcmini.com/catalog/c19_p1.html

Go in with someone here, and get one for $40

Last edited by tater; 01-20-09 at 11:50 AM.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 11:36 AM   #3
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default 1:72?

I'd certainly like to get a Type VIIC. But isn't that still a 1:144 scale model? I don't think buying two doubles the size.:rotfl: Checked that website you posted. Seems to be a great model.
A catalog I get every so often in the mail has several die-cast models; from Gato's, Type VII's to Boomer's. Can't remember the scales right off hand. But they can be spendy, around $250.00. I have just rescently moved and things are still in disarray, but I'll check and see if I can find one of those catalogs. I thought maybe I might have one here at the office. But I do not. It's a great catalog. Covering all eras. Land, air and sea. Models, posters, jackets, clocks, etc. Now I have some boxes to dig through. I'll get back to you on that. Hopefully after lunch.
Schani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 11:49 AM   #4
tater
Navy Seal

Sorry, you are correct, 1/144. There was a different 1/72 model someplace I was thinking of, never mind! I never really looked at the u-boat since I'd not ever buy one.
Old 01-20-09, 12:39 PM   #5
RSColonel_131st
Medic

Thanks Guys

It seems this "Targa" (so the name of the company) "modular" VIIC can be had from a number of retailers, all the same product - now I'm looking for the cheapest one and possible one inside the EU to save taxes and shipping costs.
Old 01-20-09, 02:23 PM   #6
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default Aha!

Found it!
The catalog is Military Issue. And there is a web site, it is www.MilitaryIssue.com. I paged through it at lunch. There is a 1:72 scale Gato-class $99.95. Sadly it is a plastic kit and not die-cast. For $259.00 there is a framed in glass 3-D 22 1/2" X 8 1/2" Cutaway USS Balao (SS-285). In the catalog anyway; no die-cast World War II subs. I guess I lied. But the catalog is full of other great stuff. For SH III; one could get a U-boat captain's peaked visor cap. Only $279.00. Now that I have paged through it; I think I might have place an order. World at War DVD set. $99.95. Gads!! This thread is gonna cost me! Thanks alot boys!
Old 01-20-09, 04:06 PM   #7
RSColonel_131st
Medic

Thanks Schani. That website also stocks the 1/144 VIIC, and from all online shops I've seen so far it looks to be the most professional, easy order system and a decent price. I think I'll buy there.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-20-09, 04:30 PM   #8
tater
Navy Seal

Yeah, but for the same $90 on the site I posted you can have TWO of the u-boats.

Sell the 2d one on ebay.
Old 01-21-09, 10:02 AM   #9
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default I took a looked at both

Tater,

I compared the two websites. The one you posted says you get two complete u-boats. The one I posted shows you get two complete u-boats. That's marketing techinque I guess. Either way, it's the same u-boat.:hmm:
Old 01-21-09, 01:28 PM   #10
tater
Navy Seal

Oh, I didn't notice that, lol.

Man, my reading comprehension skills are lacking the last few days.
Old 01-21-09, 02:14 PM   #11
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default You? Me!

Tater,
Your readings skills maybe lacking. But how about my will power. After posting my reply and sent some electrical drawing to the plotter. (I work at an engineering firm.)
I jumped onto the Military Issue website, and proceeded to go on a scorched earth credit card frenzy. After it was finally over I had spent $404.85. The U-boat we've been talking about, DVD movie and last but definately not least a wooden? 1:150 scale (24" +/-) model of the USS Flasher. Just because I turned 50 on
Monday doens't mean I'm any more responsible:rotfl:
Old 01-21-09, 03:09 PM   #12
tater
Navy Seal

I'm >>this<< close to shelling out several hundred bucks for a fully rigged frigate model (probably royal navy).

Old 01-21-09, 04:40 PM   #13
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default Go for it!

Tater,

After what I did. I think everyone on this thread is obligated to shell out a couple hundred bucks on some sort of Naval bling bling.
Come on; go for it.
I won't tell.

It's old deal of...hey, I did not know I needed that.
Old 01-25-09, 12:54 PM   #14
tater
Navy Seal

I bouhgt some little, partially assembled jap DDs from some guy in Hong Kong, but they were cheap (1:700 scale).

If I get a frigate or something cool, I'll post pics
Old 01-26-09, 10:33 AM   #15
Schani
Electrician's Mate

Default Back Ordered!

Miilitary Issue sent me a confimation of my order.

Then I recieved another e-mail stating that two of my items are back ordered. One of those items is the USS Flasher. The one I want the most.

So now I have no idea when my shipment will arrive.

So I guess I wait.

Tater,

The frigate that you are thinking of getting. What era? I'm guessing 18th century.That would look great on anyones mantle. What scale?