SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-14, 11:20 AM   #16
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
In the naval sense?...even at :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNL0KfD0nts
" He who would pun would pick a pocket."

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 09:05 AM   #17
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Hello from the Bunker of Old Operating Systems . Day 1 of Post XP, the apocalypse has begun...

Quote:
Microsoft had to rush out Windows 7 in 2009 ahead of schedule to cover up the image of Vista. Windows 7 backed off on many of the fanciful characteristics of Vista, which calmed down the complainers. Windows 7 was no better than Vista; in fact, I think it is worse. But no matter because three years later we ended up with Windows 8, a real fiasco for the desktop users.

Meanwhile, there are those aforementioned one-half billion users still running Windows XP and Microsoft is clueless has to why this is.
Old 04-09-14, 09:58 AM   #18
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I use Vista at home and 7 at work. I see no difference in navigating and performance. Currently Vista is getting clipped with a few items. I can not upgrade my browser to IE10. Looks like MS Essentials is getting a bit of clipping as well. It is a clever way to force the consumer into the next OS which of course costs $$. It is like a buying a car and mechanics will no longer work on it after 5 years. Once it breaks you are into a new car.
Old 04-09-14, 01:10 PM   #19
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Well have fun in retirement XP!

Its been 13 years guys, let it go.
Old 04-09-14, 01:11 PM   #20
the_tyrant
Admiral

Have fun in retirement!

Let it go guys, XP deserves its retirement. Its been 13 years, time to let go
Old 04-09-14, 02:46 PM   #21
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
Have fun in retirement!

Let it go guys, XP deserves its retirement. Its been 13 years, time to let go
Are you offering to buy me the new computer I'd need to run something else?

No?

"Let it go" is a find order for someone who can afford it. I can't.
Old 04-09-14, 07:56 PM   #22
the_tyrant
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Are you offering to buy me the new computer I'd need to run something else?

No?

"Let it go" is a find order for someone who can afford it. I can't.
Your computer won't magically stop working.

Come on, honestly, XP had 13 years of support. This is probably the longest any technology product ever (without counting paid support). Apple only updates their old OSs for 2 years, and many android phones don't get a single update after release.
Old 04-10-14, 08:26 AM   #23
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Looks like I would have had to bring forward my plan for a new PC anyway. Plan was latter this year but thanks to a hacker who is still waiting for me to cough up a large sum of money and I am laughing at you after I hear you got collared in my local rag.

Bye XP you were great

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 12:11 PM   #24
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
Your computer won't magically stop working.
And? So I'll keep using XP, in spite of your demand that I "let it go". I don't have much choice, do I?

Quote:
Come on, honestly, XP had 13 years of support. This is probably the longest any technology product ever (without counting paid support).
And if the guy who wrote that article is right? Are the new systems substantially better? Would Microsoft be better off continuing XP support?

Quote:
Apple only updates their old OSs for 2 years, and many android phones don't get a single update after release.
Is that really about improving the technology, or is it really about planned obsolescence? Is there anything wrong with the old OS, or are they just out to make make money by telling you "newer is better"?
Old 04-10-14, 12:36 PM   #25
the_tyrant
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
And? So I'll keep using XP, in spite of your demand that I "let it go". I don't have much choice, do I?

And if the guy who wrote that article is right? Are the new systems substantially better? Would Microsoft be better off continuing XP support?

Is that really about improving the technology, or is it really about planned obsolescence? Is there anything wrong with the old OS, or are they just out to make make money by telling you "newer is better"?
hey, my original post was about all those guys waxing poetic about it, and the guys complaining about the "support ending too soon"

I used to work with a machine on OS/2. It was a 20 year old machine, it worked, but when I had problems, I cannot expect to call IBM for support.

it really is a business decision right, you can't expect a company to continue supporting a product that it stopped selling years ago. It comes down to the fact that Microsoft aren't willing to keep a support team on an old product anymore. Of course, if you would still like support, you can still get it, if you are willing to pay.

think about it like a warranty. The included support period has already ended, but as with most products, you can still pay for an extended one. And honestly, the XP "warranty period" is already the longest in the industry.
Old 04-10-14, 12:38 PM   #26
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Steve, it's planned obsolescence as you noted.
Old 03-21-15, 09:24 PM   #27
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Intel: PC sales weak as many businesses stick with Windows XP

Quote:
Perhaps the most interesting detail that emerged from Intel's lackluster first quarter financial results the other day had nothing to do with mobile, the company's white whale. Instead, it concerned something so old that it almost seems laughable in the same week that the very 21st-century Apple Watch dominated headlines. Per ZDNet's own Larry Dignan:

In a statement, Intel said it cut its first quarter outlook because of "weaker than expected demand for business desktop PCs and lower than expected inventory levels across the PC supply chain."

One reason the chip giant cited for that weaker demand: a slowdown in companies upgrading from Windows XP systems. What's particularly interesting about this is that the move away from the ancient OS helped drive some of Intel's better results in 2014.

It's the desktop equivalent of the guy who still uses a flip phone and doesn't care if you have an app that can identify a song on the radio in three seconds or can stream the Super Bowl live on your smartphone.

But it's even worse, actually, because that inertia isn't one guy: It's firms with potentially dozens or hundred of employees that have their productivity disrupted while new systems are installed and training is implemented. Then there's the issue of the need for an updated OS. What does Windows 7 or 8 (or 10) do that compels these stragglers to upgrade? If they're fine with whatever version of Office they're currently using, and have a decent enough web browser, then most workers are set (though maybe not overjoyed).
Yeah, for many, many work computers, XP is 100% good enough, so why upgrade? Interesting dilemma for the PC industry....
Old 03-21-15, 09:47 PM   #28
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Yeah, for many, many work computers, XP is 100% good enough, so why upgrade? Interesting dilemma for the PC industry....
All you expect for your Work PC to do is that it works....nothing more nothing less.
heck we still use XP at work and don't see any valid reason why it should be upgraded to a newer OS.

The only reason I personally upgraded to Win 7 was due that it could take advantage of the newer hardware in my gaming rig.

Besides that I really don't expect more of an OS then that it just works and runs the stuff I play these days and takes advantage of the latest hardware, heck count me on the side of people that just cared that my mobile phone has the ability to call and preferably that it is an flip one.
Old 03-22-15, 03:51 AM   #29
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

We've still got XP on about 30% of our PCs, and it's still being supported by M$ until this April. But the NHS has paid a huge sum to get that extra year. Those PCs are being replaced or upgraded the very the next month.
Old 03-22-15, 06:51 AM   #30
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

It's maybe like having two cars for me: my Windows 8 laptop is the fast sports coupe which can be in turns exhilarating and frustrating; the sturdy old desktop handles all the day-to-day stuff but still does a sterling job on games up to about year 2007, and I'll hate to see it go.

Tags
windows xp