SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-15, 08:03 PM   #1
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default VGA cooler for XFX nVidia 8600GT

The fan on my old video card is starting to go out. I know I really need a new computer, but I just want to keep this thing going a little longer. I've got an XFX nVidia 8600GT that I got a few years ago. A new 9" card will not fit in my case. I don't want to pop in a new 6" card and then have to deal with clearing and installing drivers. Messing with drivers has always made me nervous (I've had bad experiences, even after clearing the old drivers out via Safe Mode and with Driver Cleaner Pro). Anywho, I was looking on NewEgg and I know nothing about VGA coolers since I have never got one before. Since the fan is dying on my card it is getting rather warm. From what I have seen on NewEgg, I'm not sure what VGA cooler would be compatible with my card. I don't want to get one that's real expensive. I've done internet searches for VGA coolers for my card, but the ones I have found are no longer available. I don't want to go the eBay route. I like NewEgg and have been using them for a long time and prefer to get one from them. I sure would appreciate it if someone could help me find one that would screw right onto my card. Thanks!
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 04:54 AM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Well, you could look on Ebay for 8600GT fans and then there are these manufacturers that make high performance heatsink&fans for Video cards like Zalman but then you're looking at a price tag of 30-40$, like this one for example, listed to be compatible with the 8xxx series of Nvidia including the 8600GT)

http://www.zalman.com/global/product...ad.php?Idx=374

(scroll down for compatible VGA cards and you can download the manual for further inormation)
Old 02-15-15, 07:06 PM   #3
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it! I'll have a close look at that Zalman and see what I want to do from there.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 10:57 AM   #4
Blebby
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

You can do a not so elegant, but cheap solution. Not worth investing in such an old video card anyway. Take the existing fan out and leave the heatsink in place. Place a small fan on top of the hole where the old fan used to be and glue it in place. Power the fan from motherboard headers or using power supply adapters.

I once did this to a radeon card. But instead of gluing, I screwed the fan in place. The heatsink had fins and I could screw a screw between the fins. Searching the net for your card I saw that your heatsink is smooth. I think your only solution is gluing.
Again, not very elegant, but cheap and efficient.
Blebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 11:32 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Blebby!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 04:10 AM   #6
Harvs
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 76
Default not the best

I had a liquid cooled block on my last Graphics card,it covered the card completely but I still fried it, now I only have a liquid cooler on my CPU, I find the fans on my new cards do the job well enough.
-------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz Liquid cooled
NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 TiBOOST X2 SLI
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64BIT
Harvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 06:10 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blebby View Post
You can do a not so elegant, but cheap solution. Not worth investing in such an old video card anyway. Take the existing fan out and leave the heatsink in place. Place a small fan on top of the hole where the old fan used to be and glue it in place. Power the fan from motherboard headers or using power supply adapters.

I once did this to a radeon card. But instead of gluing, I screwed the fan in place. The heatsink had fins and I could screw a screw between the fins. Searching the net for your card I saw that your heatsink is smooth. I think your only solution is gluing.
Again, not very elegant, but cheap and efficient.
First sign of a wearing noise and I change mine.

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote