SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-14, 07:59 PM   #1
jacobston
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
USB key I/O Error

Once upon a time I had a 16GB USB key...

It wasn't very expensive, I only got it for $10 at Wal-Mart. I used it for more than two years and got more than my money's worth out of using it. Then, sadly, about 3 months ago it came up with a Write Protection error. I tried what I could to fix it, I scanned it multiple times with Avast! and Malwarebytes, but nothing was found. I decided to copy what I could off of it and just get a new USB key, but when I came across the folder with my Videos and scripts, all of the contents were corrupted, all with jibberish names and un-openable.

So I got a new USB key from the local computer store. This one was still 16GB, and a lovely color green. I put the files from my old USB key on it (the good ones) and carried on with my life... Until about a week ago. I was working late at night and went to take the USB key from my laptop to my PC, when it gave me an I/O write error, and would not open. I have looked online for solutions but came up with nothing that works.

So my question is, are the two problems related?
And (a long-shot) is there a way to fix the new USB key?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help
jacobston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 04:34 AM   #2
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

Try the USB stick in a different computer if at all possible. It sounds more like a USB controller than the stick itself.

If both sticks have failed in another pc, then its unlikely you will be able to recover much data from them. Possible though - try a chkdsk on each one (preferably using a pc different than the one they failed in).

Once your ready to try an make the sticks usable, try reformatting them. Given the size, make sure you are not using a FAT file system.

Should they become usable, use them as temporary storage only, not as a permanent backup of data.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 10:26 AM   #3
jacobston
Watch Officer

I ran chkdsk on the newer USB key using the command line on my laptop, but nothing favorable happened.

I then attempted to format the disk

Is it possible that the key was simply damaged? It was not very expensive. I just found it in a bin at the till of the Source while I was getting a new mouse. It was $5 or $10.
Old 08-21-14, 12:14 AM   #4
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

It is possible. It also may be formatted in a format Windows can't use or as it shows - simply has no partitions.

Notice in disk management that it shows the drive, but does not show any partitions or any size.

Usually you can not add a partition unless it has a size, but you might want to see if it lets you. Right click the drive and "create partition" - use the max size (default). At that point - if it creates - then you can format it.

You can't format the drive unless there is a partition to format. Let me know if this helps.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 12:03 AM   #5
jacobston
Watch Officer

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. I'd been in Halifax for a while and when I got back I was focused on trying to get my laptop cleaned up.

I was not able to create a Partition on the disk. I tried a few times but all I got from Disk Manager was a blank stare. I will probably try again on my other computer(s) soon, though.

I would like to thank you for you help, though. This information was really helpful.