SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-14, 03:05 PM   #331
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Statues and the naked truth

1504: Michelangelo's "David" is unveiled in Florence.1522: Spanish navigator Juan de Elcano returns to Spain: 1 ship, 19 men, and 26 tons of spices; completing 1st circumnavigation of the globe (expedition began under Ferdinand Magellan) . The ships log, meticulously kept, is discovered to be off by one day due to the rotation of the earth vs an west-to-east circumnavidgation of the globe; A native of the Malaccas in the crew, Magellan's own (technically) freed slave, Enrique-an interpreter, becomes the first person to circumnavigate the planet, happily escaping the ill-fated expedition at the Mollucas, and causing further European deaths in the process.Enrique's statue at the Maritime Museum of Malacca http://www.theawl.com/2012/07/the-slave-who-circumnavigated-the-world A little too late for Magellan, long dead in the Philippines... whose will mentioned Enrique:" And by this my present will and testament, I declare and ordain as free and quit of every obligation of captivity, subjection, and slavery, my captured slave Enrique, mulatto, native of the city of Malacca, of the age of twenty-six years more or less, that from the day of my death thenceforward for ever the said Enrique may be free and manumitted, and quit, exempt, and relieved of every obligation of slavery and subjection, that he may act as he desires and thinks fit; and I desire that of my estate there may be given to the said Enrique the sum of ten thousand maravedis in money for his support; and this manumission I grant because he is a Christian, and that he may pray to God for my soul."!?? YA THINK!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 03:35 PM   #332
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default COUNT PALATINE/ MARGRAVE/ DUKE/DUKE-all in 37 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1156 - Henry II Jasormigott leaves Bavaria.
HE SURE DID!! And always moving UP at that: "Henry II (1107– 1177), called Jasomirgott, was the Count Palatine of the Rhine from 1140 to 1141, the Margrave of Austria from 1141 to 1156, the Duke of Bavaria from 1141 to 1156 as Henry XI, and the Duke of Austria from 1156 to 1177. He was a member of the House of Babenberg. Henry's nickname, Jasomirgott, was first documented during the 13th century in the form of Jochsamergott, the meaning of which is unclear. According to one theory, it is derived from an Arab word bearing a connection to the Second Crusade, where Henry participated in 1146. According to a popular etymology, it is derived from the formula Ja so mir Gott helfe (meaning: "Yes, so help me God")." Henry's brother was the important chronicler, Otto of Freising...considering the sticky nature of Rhineland politics, Obviously, Ol' Hank kept 'good with the Lord' and had great (brotherly?) press releases. Henry II's sunnysideWIKIpedia shed light on this! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II,_Duke_of_Austria

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 09-08-14, 03:55 PM   #333
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Haven't you twice asked this thread to be deleted?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 01:04 PM   #334
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

1000: Battle of Svolder, Baltic Sea. King Olaf (Not St Olaf-that's another guy) on board the Long Serpent defeated in one of the greatest naval battles of the Viking Age. 11 ships to 70, the king tried to swim for it...in his armor His death at the hands of the Danish king Sweyn I, the Swedish king Olaf Skötkonung, and Eric the Norwegian, earl of Lade...Valhalla fer sure BBY!

Old 09-10-14, 06:17 AM   #335
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

422 - St Celestine I begins his reign as Catholic Pope

Old 09-14-14, 10:03 PM   #336
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default all things naval?

1814: Francis Scott Key writes poem:"Defence of Ft McHenry" of British naval bombardment; One of the vessels is the HMS Terror possibly just discovered this week in the Northwest Passage. Poem becomes "Star Spangled Banner". 1861: The first naval engagement of the Civil War takes place as the USS Colorado sinks the privateer CSA Judah off Pensacola FL. and spikes one gun at the Pensacola NAvy Yard, losing three men. USS Colorado. footnote to history and new one for me: Colorado cruised on the Asiatic Station from 9 April 1870-15 March 1873. As flagship for Rear AdmiralJohn Rodgers' squadron, she carried the U.S. Minister (to China and Korea) on a diplomatic mission in April 1871. On 1 June 1871, an unprovoked attack was made on two ships of the squadron by shore batteries from two Korean forts on the Salee River. When no explanation was offered, a punitive expedition was mounted that destroyed the forts and inflicted heavy casualties on the Koreans. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_expedition_to_Korea 1964: It all begins for me! The premier of ABC's '"Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" Hokey!!? you betcha, but our underwater adventures never looked back! USOS Seaview:

Old 09-15-14, 05:56 AM   #337
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1904 - Wilbur Wright makes his 1st airplane flight.

Old 09-15-14, 11:35 AM   #338
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1904 - Wilbur Wright makes his 1st airplane flight.
That is incorrect. On December 14, 1903 the Wright brothers were ready to make their first flight. Wilbur won the coin toss to determine who would be first. That attempt ended with a bit of pilot error and a damaged Flyer. The next day it poured rain all day, and the brothers had promised their Methodist Bishop father, Milton Wright, that they wouldn't fly on Sunday.

On Monday the 17th it was Orville's turn, and he made their first successful flight. The second flight was made by Wilbur, flight three by Orville and flight four by Wilbur again. So, like his brother, Wilbur Wright also made his first flight (and his second) on December 17, 1903.
Old 09-15-14, 11:52 AM   #339
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Apparently so

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/wright.htm

http://history1900s.about.com/od/fir...t-Brothers.htm

Old 09-16-14, 01:54 AM   #340
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Default September 16

1931-The last mutiny in the Royal Navy - the Invergordon mutiny over pay cuts - ends peacefully.
Old 09-16-14, 03:27 AM   #341
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

1934 - Donald Duck is "born"! Happy Birthday Donald
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 05:50 AM   #342
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1942 - Japanese attack on Port Moresby repelled.

Old 09-16-14, 02:18 PM   #343
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

The past...as it relates to the present

1830: Oliver Wendell Holmes writes "Old Ironsides" Inspirational poem keeps oldest commissioned warship, USS Constitution, afloat! I write thesis on frigates and make model circa 1969 as my interest in all things naval grows! 1891: Karl Dönitz, German naval leader is born! Y'all are readin' this post! 1873: German troops leave France under the reparation terms of the Treaty of Frankfurt-ending the Franco-Prussian War ""Germany annexed the French provinces of Alsace (excluding Belfort) and Lorraine; the French were also ordered to pay an indemnity of five billion francs. German troops occupied France until September 1873, when the amount had been paid in full. The Franco-Prussian War and the nearly three years of German occupation that followed marked the beginning of a growing enmity between anxious France, its influence and power in decline, and striving Germany, a technologically and industrially superior nation that by the first decade of the 20th century had built the most powerful land army on the European continent. In the summer of 1914, this rivalry would explode into full-scale global warfare, pitting France and the Allies against Germany and the Central Powers in the most devastating conflict the world had yet seen." The Treaty of Versailles and WWII will be the result! This post is thus in English!

Old 09-17-14, 08:31 AM   #344
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

335 - Church of Holy Sepulchre initiated in Jerusalem.

Old 09-18-14, 12:15 AM   #345
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

1941-A railway explosion is faked by the Japanese as a pretext for the invasion of Manchuria, China.

1942-Nazi minister of justice Otto Thierack agrees to the 'extermination through labour' of 'asocials'.