Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-03-10, 04:00 AM   #256
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZER 8 View Post
Just got my SH5 and love it, I'm retired now and want to get into it. Time compression can only get it to 32, how can I gain more compression. 1st mission is that the prob??
Time compression is, by default, limited to 32x in any 3D view. Inside the sub, on the conning tower, external camera view. To get higher just open the Navigation Map. You can pretty much go as fast as your computer can handle. However over 1024x in open areas and 256x in congested areas can get dangerous since you'll have no time to react to something.

You can edit a file to raise the default TC limits if you wanted to, but just using the Nav Map is easiest.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 03:32 PM   #257
Capt_Sluggo
Watch

Downloads: 13
Default One workable radio fix

Never found a fix for the radio yet in this thread, so here is a basic radio fix for us non-programmers. Not too elegant, but this works.

As SabreHawk mentioned earlier, you can tweak the commands.cfg file. This file is found in directory "Silent Hunter 5\Data\cfg".

Keep in mind that other modifications or even patch releases may replace the file and undo your handiwork. Recommended to make a backup copy of commands.cfg first, and name it something you will remember.

Scrolling down in commands.cfg you will see there are many commands that are not active, like the radio. A typical active command looks like this one:

[Cmd584]
Name=Get_avatar_unstuck
Contexts=1,14,15
Key0=0x55,s,"Shift+U"

Inactive entries either have the "key0=" line preceded by a semicolon or no key0= line at all. The inactive radio toggle command you are looking for is number 561 in the file, and looks like this:

[Cmd561]
Name=Toggle_Activate_UserRadio
Contexts=1

All I did was to "hijack" a documented but inactive key. I used the "N" which in prior releases was a shortcut to display the recognition manual. Command 44 has it in its present inactive form:

[Cmd44]
Name=Recognition_manual
Contexts=1,15
;Key0=0x4e,,"N"

I simply copied/pasted the key0= line from this entry into the radio command section, removed the leading semicolon to make the line active, and (this is optional) placed an "s" between the two commas to force the game to use SHIFT+N instead of just N. Cmd561 now looks like this:

[Cmd561]
Name=Toggle_Activate_UserRadio
Contexts=1
Key0=0x4e,s,"N"

Note that "Contexts=" is explained at the top of the file. I suppose if you made this 1,15 the radio would work in the bunker too. Might be nice.

Shift+N now invokes the radio - same radio found in SH3. Check your game's sound options page to make sure the radio is checked and the volume slider is up.

The one technical problem I found is that the radio's hover text is goofy. It correctly displays the source channel name and number, but above that there is some nonsense text about ending the current game session. No idea where that is coming from but using the radio will not end your game.

No doubt the developers wanted to revise the radio completely, probably make the one in the boat's radio room come alive when clicked, but ran out of time. In my opinion, having the SH3 radio pop up in SH5 really uglies the compelling SH5 atmosphere. And, sadly, of course you can work the radio from the conning tower, bridge, engine room, etc. Not good.

Perhaps one of the real modders here will engineer a better way to implement use of the radio...?

Last edited by Capt_Sluggo; 04-06-10 at 04:23 PM.
Capt_Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 11:46 AM   #258
mm-artom
Nub

Downloads: 9

I am on the first patrol after the tutorial, Im supposed to patrol a spot on the english east cost. Now when I've reached that spot it still says incomplete What to do?
mm-artom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 11:56 AM   #259
kylania
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm-artom View Post
I am on the first patrol after the tutorial, Im supposed to patrol a spot on the english east cost. Now when I've reached that spot it still says incomplete What to do?
Welcome aboard mm-artom! Basically you just need to patrol near that spot for X number of hours, 72 I think maybe? Once you've done that it should mark as complete. Then you can radio in and either do what you're told to do next, or patrol where you'd like. Remember to keep enough fuel to get home!

Old 04-21-10, 12:07 PM   #260
mm-artom
Nub

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
Welcome aboard mm-artom! Basically you just need to patrol near that spot for X number of hours, 72 I think maybe? Once you've done that it should mark as complete. Then you can radio in and either do what you're told to do next, or patrol where you'd like. Remember to keep enough fuel to get home!
Ok thanks for the quick response! It would be good if the mission said to patrol the area for 72 hours then there wouldn't be any confusion

EDIT: I just realised my CO2 levels arent dropping even though im at the surface! And i have the 1.1.5 patch...
EDIT2: When i saved my game and loaded it again my CO2 levels were back to normal, maybe just a little bug

Last edited by mm-artom; 04-21-10 at 12:42 PM.
mm-artom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 12:23 PM   #261
kylania
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm-artom View Post
Ok thanks for the quick response! It would be good if the mission said to patrol the area for 72 hours then there wouldn't be any confusion
It wouldn't be a Silent Hunter game without confusion!

Old 04-21-10, 08:34 PM   #262
loreed
Torpedoman

Downloads: 83

"kylania; Basically you just need to patrol near that spot for X number of hours, 72 I think maybe? Once you've done that it should mark as complete."

The question is, how close do you have to stay to the patrol pinning point? I have yet to get a misssion complete in the Western Approaches. Doesn't seem to affect my play or score but it would sure be nice to complete a mission every now and then.
loreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 12:31 AM   #263
kylania
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loreed View Post
"kylania; Basically you just need to patrol near that spot for X number of hours, 72 I think maybe? Once you've done that it should mark as complete."

The question is, how close do you have to stay to the patrol pinning point? I have yet to get a misssion complete in the Western Approaches. Doesn't seem to affect my play or score but it would sure be nice to complete a mission every now and then.
Looking at the campaign files it's 70km or so for the coastal patrols and 250km for the Atlantic patrols. The effect it has is on your renown. You gain renown points for completing these patrol objectives. Now, renown doesn't seem to be as useful as it was in SH3, I'm half way through Happy Times and I have over 30,000 renown and nothing to spend it on.

Old 04-22-10, 01:12 AM   #264
loreed
Torpedoman

Quote:
Looking at the campaign files it's 70km or so for the coastal patrols and 250km for the Atlantic patrols. The effect it has is on your renown. You gain renown points for completing these patrol objectives. Now, renown doesn't seem to be as useful as it was in SH3, I'm half way through Happy Times and I have over 30,000 renown and nothing to spend it on.

THanks, I Have been working on the campaign files and mission editor but haven't figured it all out yet. CUrrently I am trying to figure out where the frigates and corvettes are for the mid ocean mission. I don't know where the engine is that determines when and where they spawn but it's got to be in there somewhere. I have yet to find either a corvette or a frigate in a mission, only destroyers
Old 04-23-10, 12:49 AM   #265
loreed
Torpedoman

Default Follow up on Frigates and corvettes

I found the corvette/Black Swan/destroyer patrol! It appeast to generate at Reykjavik Iceland (one of the worlds best kept secret holiday spots which I highly recommend) and runs generally north/south of the end of the Reykjanes peninsula I encountered them north bound on 22 September 1941. The easiest way to get the corvette and frigate is to find them at anchor in Reykjavik
Old 04-23-10, 01:04 AM   #266
kylania
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loreed View Post
Reykjavik Iceland (one of the worlds best kept secret holiday spots which I highly recommend)
It does indeed rock! (volcanically!) Been there twice for EVE Online FanFest.

Old 04-24-10, 11:55 AM   #267
SabreHawk
Captain

Downloads: 8
Well I found a way to jump down to the main deck instead of climbing down.
Position yourself at the ladder opening like usual, face forward instead of looking down and then strafe towards the side and just keep going. you will go out a ways then drop straight down to the deck.

Now if only I could figure a way to jump through the bridge hatchway.
In the heavy seas I've been in this entire patrol it seems, that damn hatch has slammed shut and locked me up in it so many times I now fear going through it.
Old 04-24-10, 02:07 PM   #268
kylania
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk View Post
Now if only I could figure a way to jump through the bridge hatchway.
In the heavy seas I've been in this entire patrol it seems, that damn hatch has slammed shut and locked me up in it so many times I now fear going through it.
Teleport there!

Old 04-24-10, 02:37 PM   #269
SabreHawk
Captain

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Hehe, oh no..........no teleporting for me. Im like Bones on this, that thing might just as well scatter my atoms all over the sea as anything.

Nahhh I'll keep trying, im sure if I can jump down off the tower, surely there's a way to jump through the hatch. Besides, I've always wanted to.

But heck im just happy to have a hatch to go through, even if it does slam my head once in a while. Anything's better than just blinking to the next compartment.
Old 04-24-10, 08:09 PM   #270
Capt_Sluggo
Watch

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk View Post
Anything's better than just blinking to the next compartment.
+1

Capt_Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote