SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-19-24, 07:57 AM   #5836
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Can't get this one to run.

Windows 11, heaps of RAM, etc. Pretty new system.

Fresh install, SH4 Gold, 1.5. Installed to its own folder, not in Program files.

Loading the old fashioned way, JSGME. The mod will load until it's time to leave harbor, the mod freezes, forcing me to restart the PC.

I have run the 4 gig patch and (I think) Multi SH4.

Loaded the mod in order:

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8,
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak,
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
Small point, but you do not need the FI-OQ patch. That is for the Fleetboat Interiors - Officer's Quarters mod from vickers03. If you do not use the mod, you do not need the patch.

Now, you have to be certain of the 4gig patch and the Save folder. Navigate into your game folder and select the SH4.exe file, then Ctrl-click the FileManager.dll file in the same folder (or do each separately), right-click and choose "Properties" from the context menu. The resultant "Properties" dialog has an "Attributes" section at the bottom, and the "Read-only" tick box has to be clear for both files. If not, click on the box to change its status. "OK" after that, and you can close the dialog. If running the 4Gig Patch, be certain it is running in the correct SH4 folder, choose the Sh4.exe file and attempt to activate it. The 4GigPatch will show a dialog of either success or failure that you have to "OK". If it fails, double-check your "Read-only" status again. Follow a similar procedure with the LAA app. It defaults to the "Basic" interface, and you use its "Step 1." open dialog to navigate to the proper game folder, select the SH4.exe file, click the tick box to put a check mark in the LAA "Step 2." dialog, then click on the "Save" button. The app then closes, with minimal confirmation of either pass or fail. Open the app again, to see if there is indeed a tick mark in that "Step 2." section. If not, check your SH4.exe file's "Read-only" status again.

MultiSH4 allows you to make your own "Save" folder, named with any 3 "valid" characters you'd like. "SH4" is the default save folder, found in the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents " folder. Running MultiSH4 allows you use something like "FRS", or whatever, such as "FS1" etc., but even if you do use it for FotRSU or any other mod, you definitely want to make certain that the Save folder is empty by navigating into that folder using the Windows File Explorer and verifying the "SH4" (or whatever name you used) folder is empty. If not, select all (Ctrl-A key combo) and delete all the files. SH4 will create a new save folder, and populate it with the modified data from the modded game. This applies to all changes to the game when adding or subtracting major mods.

Now, the really big thing... Windows 11 did an update a few weeks ago on my relatively new i7 laptop that has trashed ALL of my Silent Hunter games (3, 4 & 5). My laptop displays at 1920x1080 on internal Intel graphics (Iris??), as part of the cpu. All three of my games were working prior to the update. Now they don't. I have not had the time to sit still and tweak things to find what MS changed that is interfering, but most likely it is the "Properties" dialog of the SH4.exe again. So right-click on the SH4.exe again, choose "Properties", but then click on the "Compatibility" tab. On that dialog, you will have to do some experimenting to find the combination that allows the game to run properly. On my desktop here, I have "Compatibility mode" set to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and chose "Windows XP (SP2)" from the drop-down. Every computer, and every game might need a different choice, or none at all. Some people can use Windows 7 for their compatibility. I also have "Disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked. This is almost a necessity for the game. Some people have to click the ""Run this program as an administrator". This compluter, it is empty. But you do almost without fail, have to click on the "Change high DPI settings" button. On that next dialog it pops-up, you will have to tick the bottom "Override high DPI scaling behavior..." tick box, and choose "Application" from the drop-down box. That way, Windows will not attempt to 'help' draw your game's screen. Dependent upon if you have a large screen (such as 4k) and have Windows "Scaling" applied for the icons and text, you might have to also click that upper "Use this setting to fix scaling problems..." tick box, and then choose "I open this program" from that drop-down dialog box. Most folks do not need to do that. "OK" your way out, and close the dialogs. You could also attempt to use the Windows "Run compatibility troubleshooter" at the top of the "Properties" dialog, and that works (usually) on this Win10 desktop, but did not work on the Win11 laptop, so I'll have to take some time sometime, and try to tweak things again on it.

For further overly-detailed verbosity, refer to the "Activating Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition.pdf" file in the mod's Support folder, or if the mod is correctly activated, it will show in the game's Support folder. Also, if you run JSGME.exe from you game folder, and choose "Tasks..." from the middle of it, then "Export activated mods list to --->" at the bottom of the menu, and then click on "Clip board", you can directly paste that info into your next post. Or choose "Text file", which you can then open and copy that text into your post. It will show the entire path to your mods in that info, which helps immensely in helping diagnose problems.,, anyway, let us know how you get along with it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-24, 08:25 AM   #5837
Chazz
Watch

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

Thanks for your help.

did as you suggested, unticked the "read only boxes".
Ran the 4 gig patch, it said that it patched it successfully.
created a new save folder, that went ok

UAC won't let me run ANYTHING as an administrator. When I try to run as an admin, it blocks. I have UAC turned all the way down, still can't run anything as an administrator.

as thing stand, I still get a CTD when leaving harbor.

BTW, it runs pretty well with RFB, so it's a mod issue.

Last edited by Chazz; 02-21-24 at 08:57 AM.
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-24, 10:30 AM   #5838
propbeanie

It's not a mod issue. The modded game runs on a lot of other users' computers. The Admin Error is a User Access Control (UAC) issue. I do not understand why it would kick-in on FotRSU and not RFB though. You might not need the "Run this program as an administrator" on the SH4.exe "Properties" dialog. On my older Core2 machine with a 560Ti vid card and Win10-64 on a 27inch 1920x1080 display, I do not have anything "ticked" on the first page of the SH4.exe "Properties" at all. The other computer, with 2x980 vid cards and a 4k monitor, I have "Disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked. Most computers will require using the "Change high DPI settings" button, and setting that to "Override high DPI scaling behavior..." set to "Application" at the bottom of the 2nd dialog. No two computers are alike, so you have to experiment with those settings on your computer.

When does the game crash when leaving the harbor? As you enter the 3D world, or as you are on the boat, actually moving and departing in the 3D world? Also, if you would, while in the folder of the FotRSU modded copy of your game, run JSGME, use "Tasks" in the middle of the app, choose "Export activated mods list to --->" and if you use the "Clipboard choice there, you can then <Ctrl><V> paste the info into your next post. If you use "Text files", you can open the file, then copy and paste the text. It will show the install folder and the mod list and order, for easier diagnostics here. Another point, is if you are using the same new MultiSH4 save folder for all the various modded and unmodded versions of the game, you do have to still empty the save folder after the config changes. FotRSU has very different "calls" for ships and planes from Stock and RFB (basically stock).

Old 02-28-24, 04:20 PM   #5839
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Version

To the Mod Team, just out of idle curiosity, do you think the next release will be v1.9 or v2.0?
No special reason for asking...

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-24, 11:42 PM   #5840
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 1

I’ve tried everything possible and it crashes every time. LAA applied. No saves. As soon as I’ve accepted the mission and press start, no problems inside the sub but as soon as I go to the external view, sim crashes. This is starting outside the harbour. If I start the departure at the tender, instant freeze and CTD.

FOTRSU installed via JSGME as well as the Fix Pak.

Any advice is appreciated.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 03:05 AM   #5841
OberstRaul
Swabbie

Downloads: 149

I am very hyped for the next update! Looking forward to it! <3 You guys make an awesome job with it, and make SH4 so much better with it!
OberstRaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 10:09 AM   #5842
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
I’ve tried everything possible and it crashes every time. LAA applied. No saves. As soon as I’ve accepted the mission and press start, no problems inside the sub but as soon as I go to the external view, sim crashes. This is starting outside the harbour. If I start the departure at the tender, instant freeze and CTD.

post your mod list using JSGME.
Tasks, Export list, To Clipboard. then paste it here (ctrl+v)

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 11:49 AM   #5843
BBwalk
Watch

Downloads: 305

Just wondering if a modder is able to add oil slicks and more debris after a ship sinks to the existing particles.dat file in FotRSU v1.8? Thanks!
BBwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 05:09 PM   #5844
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
post your mod list using JSGME.
Tasks, Export list, To Clipboard. then paste it here (ctrl+v)
Thanks for your response.
This is what I've installed with JSGME:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
Ah, got it working. I forgot to tick the >2gb box in the LAA.exe file.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.

Last edited by Fearless; 03-03-24 at 04:10 AM.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 01:54 AM   #5845
Chazz
Watch

I finally got it to run, ran the Large address aware patch.

And now I can't load any saves; it crashes when I tried to reload a save game.
Old 03-03-24, 07:35 AM   #5846
BBwalk
Watch

Downloads: 305

I assume these are saves that weren't made with FotRSU v1.8?

Generally 'mega-mods' require that you start a new campaign. Make sure you delete all files in ..C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\SH4\*DELETE*
Backup the folder if you want to keep your old saves!
BBwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 06:58 PM   #5847
Chazz
Watch

Of course it was. I assumed it was because I over-wrote the save file.

I started another patrol, managed to finish it. There's definitely and issue with the campaign layers.

January-March '42, assigned to the Marshalls, nothing but Japanese destroyers zipping around like it was a racetrack. Ahistorical and unrealistic. No merchant ships.

"Patrol the Marshalls for five days". I did that, and the game wouldn't assign me any more objectives- no opportunity for more renown.

Patrolled NW and SW of Truk for a week plus. One small merchant ship.

Patrolled W of Rabaul for a week. One small merchant ship.

About as interesting as watching paint dry.
Old 03-03-24, 09:20 PM   #5848
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

How do you set up whatever it is you set up in order for the game clock to jive with the day and night? So you aren't getting sundown at midnight and things of that nature?
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 09:28 PM   #5849
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
To the Mod Team, just out of idle curiosity, do you think the next release will be v1.9 or v2.0?
No special reason for asking...
Most likely v2 - we've been taking twice as long also... and not just because there's a few changes. We've also had real life issues, and I am just now getting back on my feet from a bad bout with what apparently was the flu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post

The Support folder has several pdf files to consult with for various issues. "Activating Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition.pdf" covers the most. Plenty of verbosity to bore the most attentive to sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberstRaul View Post
I am very hyped for the next update! Looking forward to it! <3 You guys make an awesome job with it, and make SH4 so much better with it!
Thank you, thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBwalk View Post
Just wondering if a modder is able to add oil slicks and more debris after a ship sinks to the existing particles.dat file in FotRSU v1.8? Thanks!
There will be more 'visible' slicks added for the next version. It would be difficult to add them to the current v1.8 without breaking something else.

Old 03-03-24, 09:29 PM   #5850
propbeanie

Quote:
I finally got it to run, ran the Large address aware patch.

And now I can't load any saves; it crashes when I tried to reload a save game.
Quote:
Of course it was. I assumed it was because I over-wrote the save file.

I started another patrol, managed to finish it. There's definitely and issue with the campaign layers.

January-March '42, assigned to the Marshalls, nothing but Japanese destroyers zipping around like it was a racetrack. Ahistorical and unrealistic. No merchant ships.

"Patrol the Marshalls for five days". I did that, and the game wouldn't assign me any more objectives- no opportunity for more renown.

Patrolled NW and SW of Truk for a week plus. One small merchant ship.

Patrolled W of Rabaul for a week. One small merchant ship.

About as interesting as watching paint dry.
The game is strange in that a mod does not overwrite the Save folder, and neither will the game unless there is an addition to be made. You must empty the Save folder prior to playing the game, else you will end up with a mix of stock (or whatever you had before) and some FotrSU, waiting to CTD on you.

The fully modded game, for a December 1941 start, could assign you to patrol the Marshalls for 5 days, and then give you another assignment elsewhere nearby for a similar 5 days, and then another assignment nearby of like duration, and you would not be allowed to request other patrols until those first assignments are completed (naturally). The real early war assignments were a bit haphazardly conducted. It's the nature of the game.

The US thought the Japanese had a series of bases in the Marshalls and there were some US of the opinion that the Pearl Harbor attack had to have originated there. So, a majority of the first assignments went there. Only 3 boats went to Empire Waters. At the time, the Japanese hadn't tried to expand in the Marshalls area much, so you would initially only see DD and smaller patrol vessels in the area.

Since the game is a points-based game though, and getting assigned to the Marshalls can yield minimal sinkings, you do receive more renown for completing each of the assignments. So it's like being on 3 patrols at one time. The mod does take a stab at being somewhat realistic, though not as deeply as RSRDC, but you will not see the Stock game levels, that is for certain, unless you find a traffic route. Also, not to spoil the fun, but you can ignore the orders completely, and just go sink ships, but they aren't worth as much in FotRSU, so you need to sink more...