SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-13-20, 02:04 PM   #1
f1terit
Swabbie

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 TWoS Black Screen Issue when starting campaign.

Okay so, I have installed SH5 recently and am loving it, I recently decided to install TWoS (today), and have attempted to start a new campaign once in the menu,

I unlocked all campaigns and started one of the campaigns, and while doing it, the screen turned black and it shifted like color or something? (Remained black though), in the background there was sound playing, some of the instrumental music from Das Boot I'm assuming. I didn't move my mouse (hope not) and just stayed there, I tried it without and with running the game on administrator, sadly it still didn't work..

So when I exited the game, it shoved some display driver problem or something of sorts,

P.S I use windows 7, and the game isn't a steam version, I clicked yes to install the DirectC 9.0 or whatever it was. I don't have the updates installed. Installed folder path was Local Disk (C, Programs 86x, Silent Hunter 5.

Last edited by f1terit; 10-13-20 at 03:10 PM.
f1terit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 03:44 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

f1terit!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 04:03 PM   #3
f1terit
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
f1terit!
Present?
Old 10-13-20, 04:24 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

I'm not sure, but I had the same problem with my disk version of the game, also on WIN 7, which I reloaded after support from Ubisoft expired. The TWoS mod or the steam version might be a solution. Hopefully a more knowlegable expert will step in here with a difinitive solution....I'm about to get the steam version to my new 1 week-old HP WIN 10 desktop after a 7 year absence from the game...probably wih its own damn set of headaches. Such is the nature of the beast!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-13-20 at 04:35 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 04:28 PM   #5
f1terit
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I not sure, but I had the same problem with my disk version of the game which I reloaded after support from UBsoft expired. The TWoS mod or the steam version might be a solution.
Well, I've got TWoS installed, and i don't know why the game's not working...I just hear audio in the background.
Old 10-14-20, 07:40 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I am not as familiar with SH5 as I am with SH4 (which really is not that much either), but there are several things in common between the SH series games. Number one suggestion is to read vdr1981's install instructions for TWoS, "The_Wolves_of_Steel_2_x_Install_instructions. pdf" (the name changes with each version of the mod), found in the TWoS mod package (the "The Wolves of Steel - Documentation" folder). He goes through the steps necessary as prep for the install, and then the install itself. You have to have v1.2 of the game. If you have the disk version of the game, you might not have the update. Be sure of that. Start with a "clean" installation of the game, update to v1.2. He goes through other points you need to do prior to the mod's activation (which is done with an installation package).

However, one of the biggest issues with the SH series of games is what MS did with Windows with the introduction of the Vista version of the OS, and that is the "protection" of what they call "system" folders and files. Windows will roll-back most of the changes you or JSGME would make to files or folders in the "Program Files" folders. This is accomplished with User Access Control (UAC) and other "technologies" now in the 'modern' OS, including Win10. If you are installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\" (or the plain "Program Files" folder if a 32-bit version of Windows), you will have issues when applying mods, since the cfg files and others are set back to what they were for the game install, and then you end up with a mix of the Stock game, and TWoS.

You also want to match your video stream from display monitor to game, as well as set other items. Prior to activating / installing TWoS, you should run through the properties for the game. Navigate into your install folder (ie: "C:\Games \Ubisoft \Silent Hunter 5") and select the "SH5.exe" file. Right-click on the file, and from the context menu displayed, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the list. Click on the "Compatibility" tab of the resulting "SH5.exe Properties" window. Depending upon your computer and Windows OS, you might have to select the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and set that to "Windows 7". Near the bottom is "Run this program as an administrator", which you definitely want to click. You can also use the "Change the settings for all users" button, and set these there. There are severeal differences between the various versions of Windows from Win7 through Win10, but notice the "high DPI" setting, which might have to adjusted later. "OK" your way out of everything for now though. When you go to run the TWoS installation package, right-click on it and choose "Run as an administrator" from the pop-up menu.

If your monitor's "Native" resolution is 1920x1080 (as an example), you should set Windows to match that, which will show as "1920 x 1080 (recommended)", and you should use that for Windows. Once in the game, click on the Options menu, then the Graphic Settings tab, and make certain the game is set to that same setting. You can experiment with that after you get TWoS running. When you activate the mod, be sure you select a correct path to the game, and - you have to step through the Generic File Patcher properly. Pay close attention to what you do here, and make certain all goes as noted by vdr1981. I would recommend to NOT add optional mods to TWoS just yet. Make certain it is functioning correctly first. When you do attempt to run the mod, you will get the usual SH5 Ubisoft updates etc., and once you get through all of that, you should get the TWoS title splash screen. After that, it will take a while to load to the menu (as you are aware). Try a new campaign (career) again. Save the game there. Do NOT go onto the boat. Save the game and exit to the Main Menu. Now you can Load the saved game, and go from there. vdr1981 notes that you have to do this step for each new career, or when advancing to the next chapter.

Someone else will likely have more / better info for you.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote