SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-20, 06:31 PM   #1
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Default Sticky destroyers and map contacts updates?

Is it just my imagination or annoying "sticky destroyers" bug is really somehow more prominent if sim is played with map contact updates enabled?

I may be completely wrong regarding this, but I think I noticed that when I test new campaign changes and play with "helping wheels" (map contacts, no real nav ect) It appears that almost every time when I sail out of the port or encounter defended convoy, one or two destroyers will stick to my position.

On the other hand, when I play for my own satisfaction without map contacts and with real nav, this very well known bug seems to be less prominent?

Please share here your thoughts and experiences regarding this issue Captains.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-20, 11:42 PM   #2
Compans57
Officer

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0

I’ve thus far played with map contact updates so I couldn’t tell you. I’ve encountered them roughly 4 times in 11 missions.

This is unrelated but I’ve had a suspicion that if you save submerged during a depth charge attack, a similar thing happens to saving during patrol of designated grid reference and you have to start again.
Compans57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 03:56 AM   #3
Demon777
Medic

Downloads: 97

While playing with Real Navigation and contacts update turned off, it seems that patrol vessels are able to determine the location of my sub. of course, its just my suspicion

silent run usually helps to avoid further chasing...
Demon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 01:18 PM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon777 View Post
While playing with Real Navigation and contacts update turned off, it seems that patrol vessels are able to determine the location of my sub. of course, its just my suspicion

Thanks for the reply Deamon but that's unrelated to this thread.
Anyone else have any comment regarding my first post? To be honest I was expecting a bit more frequent discussion here...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 08:39 AM   #5
Santini
Medic

Downloads: 389
Uploads: 1

I've been saving and reloading when I get a psychic destroyer.

It's always funny to get chased by a boat for 6 hours in game, then save and load and listen to the ****er get bored and haul off back to his convoy (I've actually used their return path before to line up a second swing at a convoy)
Santini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-20, 09:34 PM   #6
zeus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 953

I have found a convoy with 3 destroyers and could not evade them. although I managed to distance myself, they returned to my position (March 41) with contacts on the map
any solution?
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 11:32 PM   #7
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon777 View Post

Patrol vessels know where you are because as soon as you fire your torpedo at a ship in a convoy they hear you and can triangulate your approximate location. Their lookouts are also quite good. When they are in your approximate area one wil stop, listen, or ping, while the others circle around. Today I hid straight under the pinging ship at 100 meters near the seabed. They had no clue. When they moved their search area I snuck out at 1kts, silent running, crew on silent and battle stations prepared for engagement. Also when you use your echolot near a convoy DD's will hear you. When you transmit without proper care they will hear you. When you go over 1 kt they will hear you. When you get too close to a convoy surfaced they will see you.

Today, feb. 41 I saw a Destroyer with the first British experimental radar. He did not see me but I went decks awash and added 1 meter for good measure.

How I knew I was under the pinging ship? I of course cheated and used the free cam to see what they were doing up above from down below. So when I saw one stop I just steered under it and played dead. It is interesting to use the free cam as well as the exterior cam to study their programmed tactics. it will help later when you go full realism, no external views, real navigation. So I am not at all sure it is a bug.

OLtzS Ashikaga.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type...rld%20War%20II.

Last edited by Ashikaga; 09-25-20 at 01:36 PM.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote