SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-10, 03:31 AM   #31
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

Why is Ailantd in the Brig?! While he's in there he should find 30 markings on the wall from my last visit, where I counted the days until I got out of there
Old 03-29-10, 01:38 PM   #32
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

I am not sure why he was put in the brig, but I will say, this white interior is nice accepting one thing....it is not white.

It is a very light gray. Which is fine. I really don't think U boats had white interiors. Museum boats will for preservation, but operational boats I don't think would, it would add too much time to the construction of boats meant for a relatively short life span. They needed these machines built quickly.

Just like WWII air craft. The flying examples these days have fully painted interiors, that is to prevent corrosion. But you can be the B-24s and 17 that rolled off the plants as quickly as they did, did not have painted interiors. They may have had gray matting inside, but the skin itself was most likely not painted.

But the mod is quite nice, makes the work put into the boat very visible.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 02:02 PM   #33
Ark
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Why is Ailantd in the Brig?! While he's in there he should find 30 markings on the wall from my last visit, where I counted the days until I got out of there

Part of his Clouds mod included copyrighted material.

His new version, without the copyrighted material, is up on his site and looks great though.
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 285 SSC
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer 23" H233H
Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:57 PM   #34
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos View Post
I am not sure why he was put in the brig, but I will say, this white interior is nice accepting one thing....it is not white.

It is a very light gray. Which is fine. I really don't think U boats had white interiors. Museum boats will for preservation, but operational boats I don't think would, it would add too much time to the construction of boats meant for a relatively short life span.
From a link in the main forum talking about repainting U-505 to it's original colors. Some interesting stuff!

Quote:
Gill says that the background "walls" inside U-505 originally were ivory, or a yellow cream off-white. Following the 1944 capture, the Navy painted the walls white. "The U.S. Navy preferred white as it reflected the most amount of light with low light levels—important in a sub," says Gill, who suspects that the Navy also selected white for aesthetic reasons because it featured U-505 in a 1945 campaign promoting war bond sales.

"Many pieces of equipment had been painted white when originally they were a medium gray," he says, adding that the diesel engines typically were painted a dark gray or black to hide dirt and grease. The electric motor control panels also were restored from the U.S. Navy's dark gray to the original stone gray.

"For some so far unexplained reason the Germans painted the interior walls of the boat ivory instead of white," says Gill. "Further, the diesel and electric motor rooms were painted light ivory as opposed to the rest of the boat that had ivory. The light ivory was also in fireproof paint in case of fire."

In addition to the two original shades of ivory that have been applied to the walls, the machinery, levers, and other components inside the sub now display their original 13 shades of gray, white, red, green, black, or silver.

"We were even able to restore the phosphorescent coat used on hatches and overhead pipes that provided light when electrical lights were out," adds Gill.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 12:30 AM   #35
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

Thanks for that kylania, that certainly sheds some light on the interior of U-boats. It appears we were all wrong .

I thought ivory was white, but it appears it was something else.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 01:28 PM   #36
petitspieds
Nub

Downloads: 320
Default Link Broken

The link to doawnload is broken, does anyone have another one please ?
petitspieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-20, 03:11 PM   #37
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Has this interior mod been included in TWoS/SilentMichal's interior mod? Getting my sub interior ivory off white would save me from editing these files myself.

OLtzS Ashikaga.
Old 09-23-20, 03:14 PM   #38
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
Has this interior mod been included in TWoS
Yes
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-20, 03:52 PM   #39
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

petitspieds! after a 10 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-20, 04:39 PM   #40
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Super! Thank you for that info Vecko!

Glück ab!

OLtzS Ashikaga