Improve your skills in real navigation.
Old 02-12-21, 01:48 PM   #32
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpheratz View Post
I have also compiled sunrise and sunset tables that can be included in the TWoS real navigation documentation. My tables are more detailed, contain the necessary hints that are relevant for SH5, so they can replace "SunAlmanac39_45", "SunAlmanacAndSpeedTable" from the folder that you showed me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ot...ew?usp=sharing - sunrise/sunset in northern latitudes

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jF3...ew?usp=sharing - sunrise/sunset in southern latitudes
Quote:
Improve your skills in real navigation.

Great as always! Thank you very much Alpheratz. I am slowly preparing update 2.2.23 and lot of your stuff will be in it. (links to your tutorials, documentation, charts ect...)
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 02:50 PM   #33
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Huge thank you to Alpheratz and the creator of the NewSextant mod! I have always wanted a way to do celnav in a sim, and now all the pieces are there to do it. After seeing the post about the acceleration and deceleration of the celestial sphere, I was trying to figure it out in international TWOS - this last video and this information came at just the right time because my solution was inelegant at best.

I know sometimes when posting things, we are never quite sure how many people we are reaching or if anybody cares. So please know that myself and at least a couple others I know will greatly appreciate this effort. And I certainly hope that other players who might not as yet be familiar with celnav give this a try, it’s a very rich experience, and it’s really not hard (basic arithmetic is all it has to be).

Ritterkreuz verdient!

And noted for this year’s best of subsim vote when the time comes…

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-21, 03:12 PM   #34
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
Huge thank you to Alpheratz and the creator of the NewSextant mod! I have always wanted a way to do celnav in a sim, and now all the pieces are there to do it. After seeing the post about the acceleration and deceleration of the celestial sphere, I was trying to figure it out in international TWOS - this last video and this information came at just the right time because my solution was inelegant at best.

I know sometimes when posting things, we are never quite sure how many people we are reaching or if anybody cares. So please know that myself and at least a couple others I know will greatly appreciate this effort. And I certainly hope that other players who might not as yet be familiar with celnav give this a try, it’s a very rich experience, and it’s really not hard (basic arithmetic is all it has to be).

Ritterkreuz verdient!

And noted for this year’s best of subsim vote when the time comes…
Thank you, derstosstrupp, for evaluating my work! I am glad that this attracts the attention of an authoritative and competent audience, which is interested in the fullest possible disclosure of the potential of our favorite simulator.
Old 02-13-21, 03:20 PM   #35
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Great as always! Thank you very much Alpheratz. I am slowly preparing update 2.2.23 and lot of your stuff will be in it. (links to your tutorials, documentation, charts ect...)
Vecko, i'm pleased that this will be my contribution to the overall effort to make the game better
Old 02-14-21, 02:32 AM   #36
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Great job, Alpheratz! I was going to suggest that we collaborate on a spreadsheet or something, but I see you have that taken care of!
Old 02-14-21, 04:12 AM   #37
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
Great job, Alpheratz! I was going to suggest that we collaborate on a spreadsheet or something, but I see you have that taken care of!
Thanks! I thought that not everyone would be comfortable using kriegsmarine tables. Let there be a spreadsheet for quick navigation, it can be used both for training and on an ongoing basis.
Old 02-14-21, 07:15 AM   #38
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Thanks! I thought that not everyone would be comfortable using kriegsmarine tables. Let there be a spreadsheet for quick navigation, it can be used both for training and on an ongoing basis.
F-Tafel all the way! In practice though I tend to use either Pub 249 or a scientific calculator. F-Tafel though is very accurate and relatively quick too once you get the hang of it.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 07:30 AM   #39
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
F-Tafel all the way! In practice though I tend to use either Pub 249 or a scientific calculator. F-Tafel though is very accurate and relatively quick too once you get the hang of it.
I also prefer the F-Tafel. I'm planning to do another more detailed video on using the F-Tafel. My first video about F-Tafel is not suitable for using "SH5NewSextant".
Old 02-14-21, 03:09 PM   #40
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
As for those documents that are included in the "nav doc from TWoS", I think it is advisable to save them, there is training information on which I did not emphasize in my videos and it can be useful for studying. It may be worth putting it in a separate folder, indicating that these documents have been adapted for SH3 / SH4, but are suitable for mastering celestial navigation in SH5. Only Document "SH3_RNM_TheModInDetail" seems to me not relevant for SH5.
If you remember our previous conversation I would like to ask this as well...You mean that I can leave files "SunAlmanac39_45.xls" and "SunAlmanacAndSpeedTable.pdf" even though you have created (if I'm not mistaken) specialized Almanacs for SH5 only? Is this correct?
Old 02-14-21, 04:11 PM   #41
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
If you remember our previous conversation I would like to ask this as well...You mean that I can leave files "SunAlmanac39_45.xls" and "SunAlmanacAndSpeedTable.pdf" even though you have created (if I'm not mistaken) specialized Almanacs for SH5 only? Is this correct?
I would recommend excluding "SunAlmanac39_45.xls" and "SunAlmanacAndSpeedTable.pdf" from the documentation because they are calculated based on the actual declination of the Sun. I have compiled my tables of sunrise and sunset based on the declination of the Sun, which take place in the world SH5.
Old 02-14-21, 04:13 PM   #42
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
I would recommend excluding "SunAlmanac39_45.xls" and "SunAlmanacAndSpeedTable.pdf" from the documentation because they are calculated based on the actual declination of the Sun. I have compiled my tables of sunrise and sunset based on the declination of the Sun, which take place in the world SH5.
Thank you!
Old 02-14-21, 06:18 PM   #43
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Do you think that it would be useful to have some of your "smaller" charts available in-game as well, like this?

Old 02-14-21, 06:33 PM   #44
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Do you think that it would be useful to have some of your "smaller" charts available in-game as well, like this?

Yes, I think it is worth making such charts available directly in the game. If necessary, they can always be printed on paper.
Old 02-15-21, 06:33 AM   #45
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, I think it is worth making such charts available directly in the game. If necessary, they can always be printed on paper.

Great!

Also, if you can, please compile one folder with tables and documentation which I should implement into real nav documentation for TWoS. I already created one but I'm concerned that I may mess up something and place outdated tables ect...

Please tell me which tables would be the most useful to be available in the game charts section as well. Right now I have 7 free slots for charts but that can be increased to 11 if necessary...

Last edited by vdr1981; 02-15-21 at 06:43 AM.

Tags
celestial navigation, sextant