Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-11, 04:04 PM   #1
gungunx
Swabbie

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default Aod vs CAod

I have Aces of the Deep CD version and i'm wondering if i'm missing something not having command version ?

Anyone who played both can give an insight?
gungunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 04:53 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

From Neal's review way back when:
Quote:
With the Command version of Aces, you have: control of your deck gun; access to the Med (slipping past the British at Gibraltar is tough!); you can obtain a Type XXI elecro-boat, available upon promotion; and voice recognition. Supposedly you can set the program and issue most orders verbally. It's a nice thought but I couldn't get it to work reliably. As things began to get critical, my "Crash Dive!!" and "Set Course 3...4...6!" orders were met with a quizzical "What's that, Herr Kapitan?" Usually the game would end right there by ramming or my wife demanding I stop waking the baby with all my shouting. Thankfully you don't need to know German to swim.
http://www.subsim.com/ssr/commandaces.html

I remember reading that the sound in CAOD is actually worse, with the engine sounds not always working properly, but I could easily be misremembering that. I do own both, but my play (as with most other u-boat sims) always runs out about mid-1940, so I really can't say with any kind of accuracy what all the differences are.
Old 06-29-11, 05:49 PM   #3
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I'm running it on an old P2-400 with a 4mB "Screamin 3D" card and 16bit soundblaster. The engine sounds do cut out all the time and just pop back later, or return when you reset the speed.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 06:50 PM   #4
Howard313
Engineer

Downloads: 102

Never got the pleasure of playing CAOD, but along with all Sailor Steve quoted I also read that the graphics for CAOD are a little sharper, and the resolution is higher.

Although I'm not 100% sure if that's true and I could be lying to you.

Howard313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 10:12 PM   #5
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62

CAOD can run natively in Windows (at least it could in XP). AOD would require DosBox I think.
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 12:14 AM   #6
rooivalk
Swabbie

Downloads: 250

Other than what's been mentioned already CAOD has a slightly better resolution with the rolling ocean graphics seeming more real and ships visible at a greater distance, or I should say more visible, with manual gun operation, menu graphics are different other than that no difference assuming you have downloaded and installed the expansion disk for AOD.

Rooivalk
rooivalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 01:56 AM   #7
gungunx
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

Can i man the deck gun in AoD with expansion pack and 1.2 or only in command ?
gungunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 03:28 AM   #8
rooivalk
Swabbie

Downloads: 250

Only in CAOD
rooivalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 07:26 PM   #9
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28

I'm going to go ahead and chime in here.

I own both AoD and CAoD, and I can say that I much prefer regular AoD over the Command version.

CAoD seems to have some benefits over the slightly older AoD, but it really was a regression of sorts. Several aspects of game play suffer, such as the audio glitches that have already been mentioned.

The one bug that got me to totally throw it away was that the game totally crashed when you tried to program a "T IIIa FAT II (G7e) Pattern Running Torpedo" (What a mouthful!). The advantages of this weapon are totally lost if you cannot program the weapon's initial turn.

Command: Aces of the Deep was a bit of an afterthought. It was given a quick once-over to make it compatible with post-DOS systems, and the haste involved showed in the final product. If you have the ability to run the original Aces of the Deep, then do it. The original game is a much better piece of software.

Also, I am not sure how informed you are about the game and the available fixes. Make sure to visit the downloads section and grab a copy of the Patch and the Expansion. Install the Expansion first and then install the patch. This will add the ability to enter the Med and will make the type XXI available in the final months of the war. (If only I could get one of those earlier!)

Happy Hunting.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 04:15 AM   #10
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusJS View Post
CAOD can run natively in Windows (at least it could in XP). AOD would require DosBox I think.
Ya, CAOD was Win 95 compatible whereas the original was DOS only.
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 05:39 PM   #11
kgsuarez
Planesman

CAOD does indeed run natively in Windows XP. You must find all the .EXE's in the game's directory hierarchy and set them to run in compatibility mode. Some of the .EXE's are hidden in directories other than the main one. Check in SIM, SOUND, SHELL and some of the others.

While I have not tried any recent (Vista and/or 7) versions of Windows, I have heard that compatibility mode doesn't work properly for Windows 95 programs anymore.

The most recent release of DOSBox, version 0.74, runs AOD perfectly. The previous versions required some tinkering with to get the sound working smoothly, but the recent version runs perfectly out-of-the-box. And like I said, I much prefer regular AOD over CAOD for various reasons.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 06:08 PM   #12
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsuarez View Post
The most recent release of DOSBox, version 0.74, runs AOD perfectly. The previous versions required some tinkering with to get the sound working smoothly, but the recent version runs perfectly out-of-the-box.
This amounts to a big step forward. I still remember spending hours tinkering with the sound setup to get it to run. Great game (once you had it running) but the setup was a real pain.
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 06:29 PM   #13
CTarana
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusJS View Post
That's funny! When I switched from Win98 to WinXP I had all sorts of problems getting CAOD to run under WinXP. I ended up installing AOD under Defend Reloaded and that worked fine! I would put CAOD in the Win95 or Win98 camp for sure, AOD too. But under WinXP with the goofy sound system those old simulations need help!

Thanks!

ChristopherT
CTarana is offline   Reply With Quote