Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-09, 09:22 AM   #1
walter_solito
Watch

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Need Help for running SH2 on a XP sp3 & GTS250

Hi mate!

I'm sorry to bother but recently I have update my graphic card with a new Nvidia GTS250 (I have update it's drivers and chipset to the last available) and yesterday when I tried to play SH2 the game load the intro but in the main screen the game don't load the buttons to the single-campaign-museum etc!

I have reinstalled the game but with no result!

How can I play SH2 again?

I love it too much for leave it!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

cheers

walter
walter_solito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 12:16 PM   #2
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Nvidia drivers do not support it anymore. I found that out about a year ago, gave up trying to "fix" it and use an older system to run it. I'm surprised it even installed again actually as mine failed on the system test, and the same goes for Destroyer Command. Sorry for the bad news.

I thought I might be able to use Microsoft Virtual Machine, but that only (or did last I looked) emulates a 4mb graphics card.

Buddahaid
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 01:22 PM   #3
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_solito View Post
I have update my graphic card with a new Nvidia GTS250
Yup, that's the culprit. If it did run with the old drivers without that infamous glitch, you might go back to using those ... I even did that once, but I thought the performance drop in any games other than SH2 simply wasn't worth it.
Same applies to DC, by the way (same engine).
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 02:00 PM   #4
walter_solito
Watch

Thanks for your reply mates!

@ Shearwater

The drivers that I have updated were updated after that I realize that the game doesn't work! I change the graphic card last week and the game I was looking for GPU improve was running fine (IL2). After some days the sistem was give me some trouble so I begin to backup tha game root...running SH2 before the format I find it not running....the same after....

@Buddahaid

What bad news!!!!

Thinking that all was running fine before that I change my ATI4850 for get the detail of water , landscape and forest of my IL2 from 2 to 4 I'm thinking that my update wasn't so good!!! Like a downdate!!!!!

@all

Hope someone have a solution!!!

cheers

walter
Old 12-09-09, 07:24 PM   #5
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27

An idea I had yesterday:

Maybe you could try using a DirectX7 wrapper (like the one here) or a DirectX OpenGl wrapper (here).
I think all you have to do for the DirectX7 wrapper is to place the .dll-file into the "shell" folder, or wheverer SH2.exe is located (I guess the other wrapper works in a similar way). I don't know if it'll work and couldn't test it myself as my nVidia graphics card in the old notebook is broken.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 08:56 PM   #6
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Sees promising, but I'm not that tech savvy on code.

Buddahaid
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 06:56 AM   #7
walter_solito
Watch

Thanks for the help mate but the game don't run anyway!

I have tested it even on my netpc (PB iMaxMini C2505 with Atom @ 1,6G , W7 , and NVIDIA ION) and doesn't run neither there!

I have unzipped the GE2D files and puuted them into the shell folder but they seem make nothing!

I have installed the d3d8gl and enabled it but still no results!

Change the GPU every time I like to play SH2 is too trick for my skills (and if something goes wrong is expensive too) so I'll let the GTS250 into the main PC and I'll try to change the netpc for an Asus EEE BOX 1006 with XP (I hope to manage obtain it and not the Vista one) Atom @1.6G and ATI Radeon 4530 GPU!!!!

Did you know if those GPU can run it?

cheers

walter
Old 12-11-09, 03:44 PM   #8
pescador11
Watch

Downloads: 184

I wish I could help you Walter but unfortunately I'm a total non-techie. The ONLY reason I can play SH2, is pure luck. I've got one of those crappy on board integrated intel video cards and just lucked out. I hope you get it working.
pescador11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 09:15 PM   #9
AlexTea
Nub

Downloads: 51

Just incase you still have SH2 or DC they both run on my windows 7 PC with an nvidia 9800GT graphics card. I just need to save up some money to upgrade my other PC to windows 7 so I can get back to sinking my son's Destroyer

Anyone still playing these online?
Old 02-14-11, 10:42 AM   #10
bigkeeko
Watch

Downloads: 33

I`m totally engrossed in sh2 at the minute . And i`m on windows 7 with no problems.
bigkeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-11, 11:57 AM   #11
Major Johnson
Frogman

Downloads: 25

Hello,
I've been away from the forums for quite some time, but I read in a recent PC Gamer mag that SH2 is one of classic reinstall picks. So I decided to dig out my original copy and give it a shot. I have XP SP3 and an Nvidia GTX 260. The install went smoothly. I applied the 1.1 patch and started the game. The intro played without a problem, but it was in the menu screens that I found I could only see the Single Mission option. Blind clicks brought up the other menus, but I had the same text glitches on those screens as well. This is so disappointing as I was really looking forward to some old school SH2. I tried setting the Compatiblity Mode for the exe to Win98, but that didn't resolve my issue. Do the ATI/Radeon cards still support the graphics for SH2?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX8350 8 Core 4.0 Ghz CPU
GeForce GTX 560 Ti PCIx Video Card
8 GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Rosewill 850W Power Supply
Major Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote