SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-10, 10:57 AM   #16
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

When I tried a few patrols with Map Contacts off I enjoyed the realism but had a lot of trouble plotting and shooting contacts.

However, using this tool helped me get into firing position alot more frequently (and forced me to slow down and take my time setting up the shot). My only gripe is having to switch back and forth from the game to my desktop (and this tool)

Now that I've gone back to map contacts on I use this tool a lot less (as I simply mark the contacts bearing with a pencil and after so many lines chart their course). But it still gets useful if I'm running in fog and can only get so many visual reports everyonce in a while.

Now I have one question, (sorry for the hijack), but does anyone have a tutorial to plot things with map contacts off?
Old 06-20-10, 11:30 AM   #17
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Responses and question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
When I tried a few patrols with Map Contacts off I enjoyed the realism but had a lot of trouble plotting and shooting contacts.

However, using this tool helped me get into firing position alot more frequently (and forced me to slow down and take my time setting up the shot). My only gripe is having to switch back and forth from the game to my desktop (and this tool)

Now that I've gone back to map contacts on I use this tool a lot less (as I simply mark the contacts bearing with a pencil and after so many lines chart their course). But it still gets useful if I'm running in fog and can only get so many visual reports everyonce in a while.

Now I have one question, (sorry for the hijack), but does anyone have a tutorial to plot things with map contacts off?
Answer re map contacts off: High Realism Tutorial revised March, 2009 by Captain Scurvy. I forgot how to copy the link to the thread.

High Realism Tutorial

High Realism (practice) Mission

Question re hydrphone tracker: Can it be used with accuracy when my boat is moving or must my boat be stationary? The readme indicates my boat can be moving.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 12:31 PM   #18
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

I believe that you can use this while moving, but it seriously impairs certain values such as the range of the target.

Also, you can only (with this tool) head in one direction while you're taking your bearings. Otherwise the estimated target course will be off.

Thanks for the links
Old 12-28-10, 08:42 AM   #19
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

gutted, could this be tailored for ipad? would save alot of time you know!
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 11:17 AM   #20
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

Was this tool ever put into a downloadable "app" for iphone or tablets? It is just too good not to use but I don't have another computer to have running at the same time and I don't want to alt-tab out of the game. This is ripe for use as a phone or tablet app.
Old 02-25-13, 01:05 PM   #21
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Was this tool ever put into a downloadable "app" for iphone or tablets? It is just too good not to use but I don't have another computer to have running at the same time and I don't want to alt-tab out of the game. This is ripe for use as a phone or tablet app.
I don't think so. Back in the days of SH3 we just used the mapdrawing tools to construct it.
There are youtube videos showing how to draw it (4 bearing method hydrophone). Or search here for 4 bearing method from user Nefelodam. I think Makman also made one, not sure.

Part of it (how to come up with the course through the first 3 bearings) is described in this Maneuveringboar manual: pdf page 68 (page 56 in the document itself)

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/tools/files/MoBoard.pdf

Ok, it's a few years later but the following should still be said. The first 3 bearings need to be taken while being motionless. Speeds less than halve a knot won't matter that much, but it should be avoided. Between the time of bearing 3 and 4 you should sprint away (fast on the surface if possible). Parallel to the probable course for best effect.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 03:07 PM   #22
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I don't think so. Back in the days of SH3 we just used the mapdrawing tools to construct it.
There are youtube videos showing how to draw it (4 bearing method hydrophone). Or search here for 4 bearing method from user Nefelodam. I think Makman also made one, not sure.

Part of it (how to come up with the course through the first 3 bearings) is described in this Maneuveringboar manual: pdf page 68 (page 56 in the document itself)

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/tools/files/MoBoard.pdf

Ok, it's a few years later but the following should still be said. The first 3 bearings need to be taken while being motionless. Speeds less than halve a knot won't matter that much, but it should be avoided. Between the time of bearing 3 and 4 you should sprint away (fast on the surface if possible). Parallel to the probable course for best effect.
Thanks. I'm getting pretty competent with the 4 bearings method using the navmap. I'm also getting lazy though . That's why I was hoping this program could be put into an app or some sort.
Old 02-25-13, 04:04 PM   #23
LemonA
Lieutenant

Downloads: 66

About this EXAMPLE 25.
The descriped solution is incomplete, inaccurate or erroneous.

But when we change and use "The 4 Bearing Method (non static)" then the 6 bearings and dates make sence.
Old 06-25-22, 10:38 AM   #24
c.ATP
Nub

Downloads: 5

Thank you for your make.

I want to use this app in iPad, I think it can operate in excel.
But I didn’t solve the maths problem….

Can you show me ?
c.ATP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 03:43 PM   #25
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

c.ATP

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote