SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-13, 03:10 PM   #1171
RustySubmarine
Engineer

Location: Tamworth UK. Presently,somewhere Below The Atlantic
Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Just finished reading Das Boot. Seen the film hundreds of times, but never actually read the book. The film is pretty much the same as the book, but the book I found spends more time describing what boredom is like in the two chapters, Friggin Around 1 & Friggin Around 2. One thing which made me laugh was the U boat Fly. It had obviously flew into the boat when in dock and decided to make itself at home. It remains on board during all the action and is even still present during the Gibralta incident. The author mentions this fly on quite a few instances and I just thought it quite funny, as though it was part of the crew.

I have now started reading Steel Boat Iron Hearts by Hans Goebler, about his experiences aboard U505. Very good up to press and different, that it is written by an ordinary crew member, instead of a U boat captain as is usually the case for most books about U boat patrols.

Next book I shall read is Thetis Down by Tony Booth. This is the story of what happened to the British T Class submarine, which sank in Liverpool Bay on 1st June 1939, whilst on sea trials, with all hands except, four who managed to escape.

I joined the navy to see the world
What did I see?
I saw the SEA!!!!
RustySubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 03:21 PM   #1172
RustySubmarine
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
I'm currently reading "Nightmare at Scapa Flow: The Truth"

Well written but only half-way through so far.

Is this by my recommendation, by any chance my sea-faring friend?
Yes it was Glenn and a very good read too. I've got another book called The Sinking Of The Royal Oak by Dilik Sarkar. This very thin book 152 pages, is taken from Surviving Crew Members. Not read this yet though.

What did I see?
I saw the SEA!!!!
Old 04-11-13, 03:47 PM   #1173
ninja turtle
Frogman

Downloads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySubmarine View Post
Just finished reading Das Boot
My next book to read and the fly is an interesting writing feature I guess. A bit like the old proverbial fly on the wall?
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 04:30 PM   #1174
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
My next book to read and the fly is an interesting writing feature I guess. A bit like the old proverbial fly on the wall?
Enjoy

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 11:25 PM   #1175
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I left early from school to go play baseball today and left my backpack at school. I didn't get back to get it. So now, I have to go tonight without reading Team Yankee. I really like the book. It's good...but I can't read anything tonight...
Old 04-13-13, 06:36 AM   #1176
RustySubmarine
Engineer

Just found another brilliant book, written by one of the ordinary crew members aboard HMS Safari, a British S Class Sub based at Malta during 1942 - 1943. Crash Dive: In Action with HMS Safari 1942 - 1943 by Arthur P Dickson.

Below is the book description, taken from Amazon UK

HMS "Safari" was one of the most successful British submarines of World War II. Between March 1942 and September 1943, she sailed some 31,312 nautical miles and spent 139 days submerged. During this time, she fought 59 actions against Axis shipping and sank 34 ships, totalling 85,000 tonnes. As the sub's Leading Telegraphist, Arthur Dickison had a privileged position in the crew. With access to all signals traffic and the navigation officer as his "boss", Arthur was afforded a unique insight into daily operations. Throughout 18 months of war patrols he kept a personal diary (strictly against the rules) of life aboard "Safari", recording daily events that ranged from the tedium of long sea passages to stalking enemy convoys; from crash dives to fighting it out with enemy shipping on the surface; from making submerged attacks with torpedoes to "sitting it out" on the sea bottom while depth charges rained down all around. Pervading all his diary entries is the underlying fear that both he and "Safari" might never see England again. The full range of the submariner's experience - and of human emotion - is here in this eyewitness account. Unusual in that it was written by a rating and not an officer, it also differs from other accounts due to Dickison writing down his thoughts at the time of the events he describes.

Below is one of many reader reviews taken from Amazon UK

.SponsoredLinkYellowBlock { margin-top: 18px;}
Crash Dive: In Action with HMS Safari 1942 - 1942 by Arthur P Dickson

This review is from: Crash Dive: In Action with HMS "Safari", 1942-43: In Action with HMS "Safari", 1942-43 (Paperback)
This book is one of the few I've read which was written by a member of the "lower deck". In no way does this detract from it's value as a historical document. It is as good an account as any I've previously read and covers the author's patrols in HMS Safari during World War 2. There is a very real sense of "being there" as the author takes us through eighteen months of submarine warfare in the Mediterranean, in a conversational style which makes it a very easy read indeed. Perhaps the biggest difference from the previous book on HMS Safari, by her first captain Commander Ben Bryant with his "we're all in this together" attitude, is the real animosity - bordering on betrayal - which the crew felt when Bryant left Safari after her 14th patrol and returned to England to great personal acclaim. The crew, rightly in my opinion, felt that they had also contributed to the success of Safari & deserved to share in the praise given solely to her ex captain, whilst they continued to patrol & sink shipping in the Med. A real contribution to World War 2 submarine history & one of the best.
Engine Room of U534 Now located at Birkenhead UK.

What did I see?
I saw the SEA!!!!

Last edited by RustySubmarine; 04-13-13 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-14-13, 05:28 AM   #1177
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-14-13, 12:09 PM   #1178
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Good stuff and very enlightening.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-13, 04:58 PM   #1179
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Looks like my kind of book.

Last year I read Peter Padfield's Tide of Empires series, which starts with Da Gama's trade war in the Middle East. I had always heard of him as explorer, but never as conquerer merchant. I'm sure a book solely devoted to the man will give a lot better detail. Let us know how it is.
Old 04-14-13, 10:01 PM   #1180
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Anybody have any good book recommendations for me? I have some in my shelf but I'm looking for something different.

Raptor1 gave me a few recommendation on BattleTech books. I'll get those eventually...but I'd like something else.

Anything in either of these categories would be good.

Submarine Warfare-Preferably American submarines
World War 2
World War 3
Post Apocalyptic
War Memoirs
Modern/Near Future Warfare

I have Das Boot, Run Silent Run Deep, Silent Victory ( That's gonna be a long read ), Sword Point, We Were Soldiers...Once and Young, and Faith of My Fathers on my list to read this summer. I need to track down a copy of Das Boot and RSRD sometime.
Old 04-14-13, 10:47 PM   #1181
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
What type of boat is that on the front?
Old 04-15-13, 05:16 AM   #1182
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
What type of boat is that on the front?
Type XXIII U-2336

Old 04-15-13, 05:17 PM   #1183
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Looks like my kind of book.

Last year I read Peter Padfield's Tide of Empires series, which starts with Da Gama's trade war in the Middle East. I had always heard of him as explorer, but never as conquerer merchant. I'm sure a book solely devoted to the man will give a lot better detail. Let us know how it is.
Actually I just finished it Steve. I would recommend it. First he gives an over view of the long conflict between Islam and Christianity which has a direct bearing on the voyages of Da Gama. I always thought that the crusades were a Medieval thing, but apparently not. Columbus' and Da Gama's voyages changed the world in a profound way. Before reading this one I read this.

Five hundred years ago the world was changed in significant ways by trade. Plants, animals and humans, mostly slaves got moved around and had unusual results, it's fascinating. Good read as well.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 04:56 PM   #1184
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788

Luc Brauer´s newest books:

U-Boote
Peter Cremer
commandaqnt du U-333: le survivant

and

U-Boote! Lorient Aout 1942 - Aout 1943

Excellent photographic study materials!
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 07:19 PM   #1185
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Stunning book. Some of the best underwater photography I've ever seen.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books