SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-22, 06:14 PM   #1
Sangamon Taylor
Mate

Downloads: 128
Uploads: 0
Default Rest In Peace: Wolfgang Petersen

I make my living as a sound mixer and with the possible exception of Dr Strangelove, Das Boot is up there as my favorite film of all time with one of the greatest sound mixes ever by Milan Bor (RIP). In the early 90’s I went to Munich and mixed a film directed by Volker Schlondorff in Milan Bor’s mixing stage at Bavariafilm. They still had the submarine on the lot and you could go in it. It was tiny. I have no idea how they shot that film on such a cramped set. It’s been a lasting memory. I thought you all should know of this tremendous loss. Rest In Peace Wolfgang Petersen.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/wolfgan...wMIVxEU5g5M2Mg
Sangamon Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 06:45 PM   #2
pabbi
Subsim Overlord

Downloads: 421

Rest in peace Wolfgang Petersen

On the top of the world
pabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 06:50 PM   #3
Mork_417
Lieutenant Commander

Downloads: 263

Rest in Peace Sir.
Old 08-16-22, 07:01 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Rest In Peace Wolfgang Petersen.

Old 08-16-22, 11:30 PM   #5
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Rest in peace, Wolfgang Petersen. Thank you.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 02:32 AM   #6
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
Rest in peace, Wolfgang Petersen. Thank you.

Agreed
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 04:29 AM   #7
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

R.I.P.!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 04:52 AM   #8
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 583
Uploads: 7

He created one of the best submarine movie.

R.I.P.

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 12:27 PM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

R.I.P

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 12:41 PM   #10
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

RIP

A great movie maker will be missed.

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 08:23 AM   #11
OG Hase
Mate

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 1

"Das Boot" has made him literally immortal. He also made other great movies of course. "Troy" was awesome imo. But the series(!) "Das Boot" is a milestone in German Moviemaking next to "Der Untergang". Some years ago I had contacted him and asked him to make the ultimate new movie about the "Bismarck". Now he has gone it would only be Cameron left to do that. Anyway - R.I.P. Wolfgang and "vielen Dank für alles"! "Achtung!"
OG Hase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 12:09 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Already been done imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Hase View Post
"Das Boot" has made him literally immortal. He also made other great movies of course. "Troy" was awesome imo. But the series(!) "Das Boot" is a milestone in German Moviemaking next to "Der Untergang". Some years ago I had contacted him and asked him to make the ultimate new movie about the "Bismarck". Now he has gone it would only be Cameron left to do that. Anyway - R.I.P. Wolfgang and "vielen Dank für alles"! "AchtungBBY!"
1960's Sink the Bismark is still pretty tough to top! Particularly with actors Carl Möhner as Captain Lindemann, and Karel Štěpánek as Admiral Lutiens! Based on C.S. Forrester's Last NineDays of the Bismark it was well received and a surprise hit in North America.I actually like the black and white format...and the focus on "backroom planners" as well as the combatants.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-18-22 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Dates names puctuation
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 01:25 PM   #13
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

It should always be recalled that the film Sink the Bismarck is not based upon the history of Exercise Rhine but rather CS Forester's historical fiction of the same name, after it was reprinted following the box office success of the movie.

The special effects still hold up quite well, arguably the modelling and action scenes are as good or better than the CGI garbage delivered today but other than that, from a historical perspective the film gets practically all of the history wrong. This is because it was written as propaganda, which was Forester's stock in trade.

Bismarck never managed to shoot down any Swordfish, as I recall in the film she gets three. She never sank a destroyer during her last night, fending off the 4th Destroyer Flotilla. But even worse is the awful portrayal of Lutjens as a Nazi fanatic and the deifying of Lindemann as a obsequious incompetent.

Before Lutjens was made Fleet Commander he was the head of the Naval Personnel Department and while there, he was responsible for altering the files of a number of Jewish naval officers, ensuring that under the Nuremberg Laws, they ceased to be Jewish and became legally Aryans. One cannot imagine the fanatic played by Karel Štěpánek doing this in full violation of Hitler's will and without Hitler's knowledge. Lindemann, far from being an ineffectual poltroon had several public disagreements with his admiral, even going to the flag bridge to do so.

Forester hated Germans with a passion. He was of an age too young to fight WW1 and too old to fight the Nazis but his contempt for all things German are apparent starting with his 1941 novel The Ship, an entertaining propaganda piece based on the cruiser HMS Penelope. When he resumed writing the Hornblower series in 1945, few German's actually appear in Hornblower canon but starting with The Commodore in March, his German characters are inevitably cowardly, venal, incompetent and wicked; exactly the way Lutjens and Lindemann are portrayed in the novel and the movie.

Enjoy Sink the Bismarck as the almost entirely fictional account of a real event, but do not think for one-nanosecond that what you are watching is any reasonable sense, historical.

Just $0.02 CAD, ignore as desired.

-C

Edit:
The above is off-topic but there is no guarantee that had the late Wolfgang Petersen actually done Rheinubung, he would not have played fast and loose with the narrative. Most ancient historians positively revile his Troy (which I quite enjoy as a film but is usually spoken of as "The Film that shall not be Named" - rather like SubSimmers and U-571), mostly because of the appalling ending, which bears no resemblance to the most common translations of Homer's Iliad. From what I have been able to determine, the ending that he used, which so many classicists find so offensive is actually based on fragments of a Roman retelling of the story. For what it's worth, I think that he would have made an awesome film of Bismarck's story. RIP Herr Petersen, thanks for the flicks.

Last edited by Randomizer; 08-18-22 at 01:41 PM.
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 02:11 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

/\ Indeed! Both Forrester and Peterson played fast und luce mit der trooth ie "poetic license" for prophet!...They R alles E-quail now! We shall not speak I'll of the dead!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 01:07 PM   #15
Hooston
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 15

The Bismarck story was remade recently with improved special effects :

My only real complaint is that strangely, given the cutting edge CGI techniques used, all the German characters have round heads.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote