SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-04-21, 01:07 PM   #76
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I've tried to convert one of your ship today, but I can't open GR2 files... What software do you use to edit those files ?
TDW's GR2Editor. You can use it to export from GR2 to .obj and vice versa. If this won't work for you, I can export directly to .obj from Blender for you.

Quote:
Another question : do you model the hull of your ships with their original lines plans, or do you use only side and top views ?
Whatever I can lay my hands on. Lines plans are of course the best, but in case they are not available hull shape can sometimes be approximated using general arrangement plans, especially if they include several decks (you can then use deck views as "lines" of sort).

Quote:
Else, it seems some nations are missing in roster (Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, etc.), because you've written some textures availability for these countries in your Countries availability table.pdf. Maybe these data are for TWOS and not vanilla ?
Vanilla SH5 only has limited selection of nations, TWoS (or to be specific OHII which is included in TWoS) added many more. Roster file in stock version of my mod does not include these nations (but I was too lazy to make separate table, sorry )
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 02:40 PM   #77
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
TDW's GR2Editor. You can use it to export from GR2 to .obj and vice versa. If this won't work for you, I can export directly to .obj from Blender for you.
Unfortunately, the editor crashes when I open it.

Error message :

Erreur de l'application.-2005530516 (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
à Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.GetRenderStateSi ngle(RenderStates state)
à Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.RenderStateManager.get_ PointSize()
à TheDarkWraith.SilentHunter5.Lighting.Render()
à TheDarkWraith.SilentHunter5.Lighting.OnDeviceReset (Object sender, EventArgs e)
à TheDarkWraith.SilentHunter5.Lighting..ctor(Graphic s& graphicspassed)
à TheDarkWraith.SilentHunter5.Graphics..ctor(GR2Edit orViewer gr2evpassed, Panel& pnl3Dpassed, Panel& pnlCamerapassed, Panel& pnlWorldpassed, Boolean cameracullingenabled, Single cameranearclipplane, Single camerafarclipplane)
à TheDarkWraith.SilentHunter5.GR2EditorViewer.GR2Edi torViewer_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
à System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
à System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
à System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallba ckDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
à System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallba ckHelper(Object obj)
à System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Objec t userData)
à System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.Exe cuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
à System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(Exec utionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
à System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
à System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallba ck(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
à System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallba cks()

I would like to convert the Raised quaterdecker (Moygannon).

Quote:
Whatever I can lay my hands on. Lines plans are of course the best, but in case they are not available hull shape can sometimes be approximated using general arrangement plans, especially if they include several decks (you can then use deck views as "lines" of sort).

Quote:
Vanilla SH5 only has limited selection of nations, TWoS (or to be specific OHII which is included in TWoS) added many more. Roster file in stock version of my mod does not include these nations (but I was too lazy to make separate table, sorry )
OK, that was what I thought. It's like SH3.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 05:45 AM   #78
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Great !!! All I need is the 3D model, the texture(s) and some data on the ship (possible names, type (folder's name for the game), tonnage, dimensions, max speed....).

I'm waiting for your files.
Old 11-27-21, 04:18 PM   #79
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

And another WIP, Hunt class minesweeper:

This is late WW1 design, but 29 of these still served during WW2.
Old 11-27-21, 09:10 PM   #80
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Very nice! Now, I must ask: Do you have plans for dat file SH4 conversions for all your ships, or are we all going to have to play SH5 for these?... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-21, 06:57 AM   #81
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Now, I must ask: Do you have plans for dat file SH4 conversions for all your ships, or are we all going to have to play SH5 for these?... lol
I've never played or modded SH4 (Pacific theatre's never been my thing in subsims, due to inverted difficulty curve), so at least for the time being I don't plan to relase SH4 mods. That said, if someone would like to relase them for SH4 I will be happy to assist. I can provide s3d compatible meshes, textures and maybe help with these controllers that I know how to setup, leaving only SH4 specific controllers and in-game testing.
Old 11-28-21, 11:23 AM   #82
propbeanie

Oooh-ooh... we will try to take you up on that offer! Thank you! We do have a few connections we can call on, and will attempt to make time for the conversions and not bother you too much about it. SH4 is also sadly lacking in coastal vessels, relying on a few "fishing" boats, which are re-worked tugs (or is it the tugs re-worked from fishing vessels??) and several sampan. That is basically it. Thank you again. We'll be in touch!

Old 11-28-21, 06:50 PM   #83
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Unfortunately, the editor crashes when I open it.
You need to use version 1.1.451.1

Then correct the 3D models in an out side program since TDW has a flawed way of importing to the GR2 files.

I'd say it's like needing a 50 gallon drum to carry 10 gallons of water.
Old 11-30-21, 07:37 AM   #84
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
a few "fishing" boats, which are re-worked tugs (or is it the tugs re-worked from fishing vessels??) and several sampan. That is basically it.
SH5 also lacks fishing boats appropriate for British coastal waters. There's a Coastal Boat (which seems based on MFV1001 class) and (in TWoS) several imported .dat format ships which sadly are either too modern (Pelagic Trawler), or low detail. I added a large trawler converted from stock Armed Trawler but this ship is huge (there were only a handful of such large fishing vessels in existence back then - it should be very rare), so I plan to add a smaller and more common trawler to the mix, based on Lydia Eva:

Old 11-30-21, 10:35 AM   #85
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
So I plan to add a smaller and more common trawler to the mix, based on Lydia Eva:

Excellent idea !

I'm currently working on a French tug boat (L'Actif - 1939), but it's hard for me to keep it low poly because I have very detailed technical plans and I like details ...

Old 11-30-21, 11:18 AM   #86
propbeanie

There is an animated crane in SH4, and I was thinking of attempting to have "moving" fishing nets and booms on a fishing boat:

but getting the net to "play out" would be a tough bit of artwork. Maybe just have the boat with the nets already deployed, and towing them? I dunno... It'd be cool to see, but how many players would look before shooting anyway?... lol

Old 11-30-21, 11:30 AM   #87
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
There is an animated crane in SH4, and I was thinking of attempting to have "moving" fishing nets and booms on a fishing boat:

but getting the net to "play out" would be a tough bit of artwork. Maybe just have the boat with the nets already deployed, and towing them? I dunno... It'd be cool to see, but how many players would look before shooting anyway?... lol
It's not that hard to do animations. It's just that no one is willing to attempt doing them. It's like talking hex editing. It's all Voodoo unless one is given a point and clicky-clicky tool.
Old 11-30-21, 11:31 AM   #88
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
It'd be cool to see, but how many players would look before shooting anyway?... lol
Old 11-30-21, 11:33 AM   #89
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Excellent idea !

I'm currently working on a French tug boat (L'Actif - 1939), but it's hard for me to keep it low poly because I have very detailed technical plans and I like details ...
If Imported properly to a GR2 file? Those models are not that high in details.
Old 11-30-21, 12:07 PM   #90
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
If Imported properly to a GR2 file? Those models are not that high in details.
Why ? Is there any limitation ?

Quote:

Don't forget to add lots of seagulls all around...