SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-20, 07:20 AM   #16
Rosomaha
Loader

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
...I'm asking this because I've noticed that the only way to add new version of Rosomaha's C3 ship to TWoS is to do previously mentioned tweak in your new small ships files...
Hi, captains.
I didn't understand what is the connection between C3 and Little Ships of SH5. Why is it necessary to change something in kapuhy ships because of C3? Can someone explain in more detail?
Rosomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-20, 08:11 AM   #17
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosomaha View Post
Hi, captains.
I didn't understand what is the connection between C3 and Little Ships of SH5. Why is it necessary to change something in kapuhy ships because of C3? Can someone explain in more detail?
That's the million dollars question Rosomaha which no one can answer right now I'm afraid.

What I noticed is that sometimes introduction of units "A" and "B" will reveal problems in unit "G" which will result in game CTD, but only if other units C, D, E and F are rendered in between, simulating one long patrol where you encounter many different units. To make things more complicated , units A, B and G will work just fine and won't reveal any problems.

The exact cause of this SH5 engine "witchcrafts" are unknown to me but at least I learned how to isolate and fix them for most of the time, using my "start in Kiel+all units museum rendering test", moving in different directions and observing on which unit the game will CTD.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-20, 09:13 AM   #18
Rosomaha
Loader

Ok. And what is the story with "... unknown" class settings to "none" in fx files?

And. I understood correctly: the old version of the C3 pack works stably in TwoS, and the new one causes problems?
Did you happen to find out which file is the problem?

---------------
if it helps, I will confirm kapuhy's answer:

In the shipname.fx contains a list of destruction effects - “ObjectCtrlsRef "conrollers, whose” Object" contains the FX effect ID, which are located in \data\Library\Baza_FX.dat. The "ObjectCtrlsRef" itself is linked via ID to the effect locations-point in the <shipname>_FX.GR2 file. If put None in GoblinEditor, it is equal to assigning a Null ID-dummy.

Besides: The ship / unit starts using SH5 effects, if there are EffectsTypeSH5 zones, provided that the file <shipname>.lst is present in the unit folder with the corresponding registration of the path to <shipname>_FX.GR2. Without it, there will only be their own Box effects, more exactly those Types that have their own prescribed effect in Zones.cfg.

Last edited by Rosomaha; 07-19-20 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-19-20, 10:00 AM   #19
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:

And. I understood correctly: the old version of the C3 pack works stably in TwoS, and the new one causes problems?
Did you happen to find out which file is the problem?

---------------
Your new C3 files are perfectly fine but they have "unlocked" several of these mysterious conflicts in some NDD fx files, including some from the stock game (?!) which aren't touched by any modder ever.

Add too many of these conflicts to the stock game and you guys can now get the picture why every SH5 custom modlist which includes OHII, FX update and several other "heavy" mods is nothing but a CTD fest...

Anyway, I have re-saved ALL fx files of all units (stock and imported, changed one line to "none" in order to make controllers "red" and than save, from some reason this is important for SH5) for the next TWoS update and that have cured all the problem...
Old 07-19-20, 10:30 AM   #20
Rosomaha
Loader

Quote:
I need a small advice Kapuhy.
Do you know will any of of ship/effects functionality will be lost if I change "unknown" class settings to "none" in fx files?
I think I'm beginning to guess what you're talking about ... at the editorial office .fx files in GoblinEditor in addition to merging key files, you need to restore the communication to the effects file. I.e., perform a "Merge” of open fx files with Baza_FX. dat. in this case, “unknown " will get their names in the list of the program window, they are available for selection, and will even be visible in the view. if the communication ("Merge”) is not set, changes to one conroller can reset all other values to Null – Yes, if I remember correctly this could happen… if of course we are talking about the same phenomenon.
Old 07-19-20, 11:33 AM   #21
Rosomaha
Loader

Quote:
Your new C3 files are perfectly fine but they have "unlocked" several of these mysterious conflicts in some NDD fx files, including some from the stock game (?!) which aren't touched by any modder ever.

Add too many of these conflicts to the stock game and you guys can now get the picture why every SH5 custom modlist which includes OHII, FX update and several other "heavy" mods is nothing but a CTD fest...

Anyway, I have re-saved ALL fx files of all units (stock and imported, changed one line to "none" in order to make controllers "red" and than save, from some reason this is important for SH5) for the next TWoS update and that have cured all the problem...
I see it now. Hmm. that's funny :
I opened a random batch of NRTW files, then some other stock ships. When you open NRTW.fx it is immediately highlighted in red by default.

And now the contents:

I was always focused on all these registration IDS and did not pay any attention to the type container of controllers. They are different for different ships (random?), and these are the native files of stock SH5. SH5, what are you..?)
In some cases, the controller container\ Sub type: -1, in others\ Sub type: 1000 (<notset>). Somewhere else at the end there is an Unknown chank, and somewhere it is not.

By the way, resaving in GoblinEditor just changes the ObjectCtrlsRef container to Sub type: -1.

@vdr1981, what do you think about this? ObjectCtrlsRef / Sub type: -1 - which is the most correct? Or no and there the matter is something else and Sub type: 1000 (<notset>) has its own conditions of use?

Last edited by Rosomaha; 07-19-20 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-20-20, 05:40 AM   #22
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Uploads: 3

Quote:
I.e., perform a "Merge” of open fx files with Baza_FX. dat. in this case, “unknown " will get their names in the list of the program window, they are available for selection, and will even be visible in the view

"Would've taken me forever to work that one out." - William Butcher

Thanks for this, now I can finally see in editor what these effects do!

-----
Anyway, glad to hear you are figuring this out, guys. I'll certainly be updating fx files on my coasters once I'm done with new ship I'm configuring at the moment (already imported into game, but I still have to test and tweak its damage model and fix some minor errors).
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-20, 04:51 PM   #23
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Update: new ship added - Coastal Tanker:

Based on - still surviving - American tanker Mary A. Whalen built in 1938:

Old 08-01-20, 04:22 AM   #24
vdr1981
Navy Seal

You Kapuhy are creating SH5 history!
Old 08-01-20, 05:09 AM   #25
Muckenberg
Planesman

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 0

Good day
Thank you very much for your amazing work. Do you think that you will ever build large ocean-going ships?
Muckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 08:09 AM   #26
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Update: new ship added - Coastal Tanker:

Based on - still surviving - American tanker Mary A. Whalen built in 1938:

Will I need to redownload the mod to get the new ship?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 09:08 AM   #27
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Will I need to redownload the mod to get the new ship?
I'm afraid so - I simply replaced old package with the updated one - though if you prefer, I can pack and upload separately only files containing the new ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckenberg View Post
Good day
Thank you very much for your amazing work. Do you think that you will ever build large ocean-going ships?
I see no reason why not, though I will certainly finish my current coaster pack first.

The thing with larger ships is that thanks to vdr1981's efforts there's a great selection of them already in TWoS (though it would be nice to convert some of imported ships to .gr2 format like Rosomaha did with C3 Cargo recently). Coasters, on the other hand, were completely missing from stock game and still underrepresented in TWoS (which has a variety of fishing boats and then roster pretty much "jumps" to ships around 1800-2000 GRT).

If I'm to make a completely new larger ship model, I'd like it to be type of ship that is not currently featured and yet was often seen on seas during WW2.

Last edited by kapuhy; 08-01-20 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 09:09 AM   #28
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Kapuhy, please note that I had to enhance your TWoS v2.2.19 fix with few files from "Sea" folder in order get rid of previously mentioned "mysterious" conflicts and CTDs. The files are basically the same, the only difference is that I had to change first line in fx files to "none" in order to re-save them with goblin editor... Here is the link http://www.mediafire.com/file/80wbuv...r1981.rar/file
Old 08-01-20, 09:31 AM   #29
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Kapuhy, please note that I had to enhance your TWoS v2.2.19 fix with few files from "Sea" folder in order get rid of previously mentioned "mysterious" conflicts and CTDs. The files are basically the same, the only difference is that I had to change first line in fx files to "none" in order to re-save them with goblin editor... Here is the link http://www.mediafire.com/file/80wbuv...r1981.rar/file
Thanks! I'll compare these and include your fix in my upload. Any way I can replicate these conflicts/CTD's? What you did esentially disables SH5 fire/explosion FX, so I want to be able to replicate the problem in order to - hopefully - find a solution that would allow to keep the FX and not have any conflicts.
Old 08-01-20, 09:59 AM   #30
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Thanks! I'll compare these and include your fix in my upload. Any way I can replicate these conflicts/CTD's? What you did esentially disables SH5 fire/explosion FX, so I want to be able to replicate the problem in order to - hopefully - find a solution that would allow to keep the FX and not have any conflicts.
I'm afraid that it isn't only the fx files that can cause the problem. For example, I was testing your NOC_Mary little bit before in TWoS v.2.2.20 and it turns out that I have to "resave" sim, zon and fx files in goblin in order to eliminate game crash when NOC_Mary is rendered after all other included air/sea/land units. Why is this so, I have no idea honestly...

Anyway, I have already prepared v2.2.20 update for TWoS which will allow all new units (stock, your's, Rosomaha's and mine) to work in perfect "harmony" and without CTDs in various test scenarios. There will be a lot of "re-saved" files there, including all fx files from the stock game as well.

Then I'll create special "all units museum rendering test" mod which will allow you to quickly and easily test newly added units.