SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-24, 08:49 PM   #16
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95
Uploads: 0

4 is the best IMO, all the best mods, much more replayable than 3, 5 sucks so bad, I hate the third person type crap.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-24, 10:43 PM   #17
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

FINALLY.............

In the meantime, I cranked up STEAM and downloaded Fallout NV.
Got stuck in a boot loop, with the hardware detection phase of startup.

Bit of googling revealed that some redundant Onedrive files were often the problem.
I haven't used onedrive for years, as it always stuffed around with things, and would often lose work files.

Logged in to Onedrive, disconnected the laptop from the account, wiped the Fallout NV folder in Documents......... found a SH5 folder that suddenly appeared in my Documents folder (must have downloaded from onedrove when I loggend in) and deleted it too.

Fallout NV proceded to run flawlwessly.

Redownloaded SH5......(for about the 10th time now)
Set the .exe properties for High DPI to Application...... and awaaaay we go.

"updated" the sh5.exe with the CD version.
Installed TWOS.
Sweet Baby Ray, it's finally working.

Now just finding the sweet spot for resolution, as 4k has tiny icons and text.

Last edited by d@rk51d3; 03-09-24 at 12:39 AM.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-24, 07:54 PM   #18
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

5 with TWoS can hold its own with the others
Old 03-08-24, 08:59 PM   #19
Ryder7
Swabbie

Downloads: 58
Icon14

Hi there, SH3 GWX for a long time here, I had SH5 with Steam but never actually played before because of the Ubi thing.
When I replaced my computer, I decided to give the 5 a real try, so I followed a straight to point guide on how to install with TWOS and the new Ubisoft connect thing:
That worked perfectly. My only additions were Alpheratz's navigation and repair mods.
Now I can't go back to the others SH except for casual and/or multiplayer, because I'm addicted to not having a gps-like map.
Sure it has sometimes a few camera glitches, and that wake you see through waves sometimes, but overall with mods, I think 5 deserves more love, and I 've found my savegames less complicated than with sh3.
Sometimes the realism menu is confusing since you actually have to set them from a campaign screen, or that won't apply no matter what you chose from main menu. (That's why I believed I couldn't get rid of the stabilized scopes but it's fine now).

So, yes, IMHO once you survive the installation process and a few hidden details, 5 is actually both close to what I loved with GWX and its own cool atmosphere: I tend to use less TC only so I can translate Enigma messages, listen to the radio, walk around the boat, get lost with my drunken navigator and my poor skills in that matter, instead of quick teleport to a torpedo shooting position I kinda used to do more with 3.

Edit: that is on the defence of 5 but not to dis 3 that I love as my first subsim and it's own style, and 4 that I just started recently and find very nice too with a change from kriegsmarine. I also want to try Wolfpack and Uboot some day, but can't see a reason not to enjoy them all games!

Last edited by Ryder7; 03-08-24 at 09:11 PM.
Ryder7 is offline   Reply With Quote