SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-09, 12:53 PM   #1
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default Saved! Saved!

For no reason I can account for, the sim will load only 1/2 the red bar on load (after intro) and reverted to a MS 'Send Me Your Stinkin Message of How we Screwed up Sorry!".

I played last night fine.

Hmmm. I said. Let me run registry cleaner. Nope. Lemme run Adaware. Nope. Lemme run disk cleanup. Nope. Lemme run disk defrag. Nope. Lemme reboot. Nope. Lemme do all and reboot. Nope.

I have labored into fall 1944 with my original crew. Lost no one. Racked up historical rates per annum. Played by the book..

Now she has let me down.

Is there a fix in any file like an .ini or other?

Rest of the PC seems quite happy.

Suggestions?

S'
PC

Last edited by PappyCain; 07-06-09 at 12:34 PM.
PappyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 01:07 PM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Well, you left out the juicy details: Supermod? And if so, which? Other mods? And did you change them recently. Are you supposed to change to a mod at this stage (I am thinking about late-war sensors in GWX)
Old 07-03-09, 04:20 PM   #3
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

V 1.4.0.1 and have not loaded any mods for over a year. Very stable up to today. Played 24 patrols no problem. Have not found any documents in the SH directory that spit out issues in txt like other sims I am used to. No other conflict apparant. Short of a full reinstall is there a check/repair on the disk?

Any and all ideas welcomed! Would like to finish my career.

Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400, Nvidia 8800GTX, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD
Old 07-03-09, 05:38 PM   #4
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

Even EnditAll and Rambooster did not help - could be a corruption, a bug or conflict. Is there a file I can replace? Has anyone experience similar? I will stand back and see if anyone has any ideas or comments. Thanks!

DID, no cheats, no shortcuts, no non-historic equipment deviations. Boat and crew safety is integral with my immersion style! Follow the historic events during your patrol: http://www.uboat.net/today.html
Old 07-04-09, 04:15 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

You could do a disk error check to see if any files got corrupted. (disk defrag doesn't fix anything, it just tidies up the clutter so it can find the files in just one place) Right-click on your drive, select properties, go to the Extra tab, choose the top: error check or whatever Microsoft translated it into. The operating system might complain that this needs to be done after a reboot. Allow it to do so.

I don't know what kind of files are loaded at the very beginning when SH3 starts. If you have absolutely no mods or tweaks done on it you could let the setup perform a repair. But it might require that the game be patched up again afterwards. (if the dvd wasn't 1.4 allready) If you have some mods applied then they will probably be lost. Other than that I have no idea. It's imposible to tell without knowing what file (or setting) he trips over.
Old 07-04-09, 08:40 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

If your playing stock without any mods....simply back up the SH3 folder in C\MyDocs and perform a new installation.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 11:08 AM   #7
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

Well I do have a few mods. If I re-instal SH3, and rename old folder, I can then slide files or folders into a new SH3 Data folder? I was planning to install GWX 3 and full mods when I finished my career but maybe it is time to do it now? I just wish I knew what the problem could be ...

DID, no cheats, no shortcuts, no non-historic equipment deviations. Boat and crew safety is integral with my immersion style! Follow the historic events during your patrol: http://www.uboat.net/today.html
Old 07-04-09, 08:23 PM   #8
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

No Joy with disk error check either. Shame to make this sim a coaster!
Old 07-05-09, 01:06 AM   #9
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

do this...

uninstall all mods.

copy your favorites... or the whole folder...

Copy the save game file.

Put them away nice and neat.

uninstall SH3.

Delete folder if anything is left.

reinstall sh3

install JSGME

add your mods and enable them, and recopy the savegame folder to where it came.

try out sh3.

Old 07-05-09, 03:46 AM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyCain View Post
Well I do have a few mods. If I re-instal SH3, and rename old folder, I can then slide files or folders into a new SH3 Data folder? I was planning to install GWX 3 and full mods when I finished my career but maybe it is time to do it now? I just wish I knew what the problem could be ...

Simply moving old (modded) folders back into a newly installed SH3 is possible, but without garuantees. If the cause of those crashes is in there then you are not much further than where you left off. (though it did narrow down the list of possible files) Best is to put them back one by one (or mod by mod) using JSGME until the crash occurs again. It is easy to swap them back and forth, as JSGME keeps a backup of it's changes.
Old 07-05-09, 02:34 PM   #11
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

Thanks mates. I just downloaded GWX3 Gold. I have been anxious to crank her up. I saved my previous Sh3 folder onto another remote drive and will remove the existing SH3 folder and files completely off my hard drive.

Then if you all agree, I will reload the original disk, then add GWX3 gold and maybe if that works well start fresh in '39 and play historically accurate patrol lengths with the new mods (can't wait).

Then if you all agree I can at a later date reinstall a second SH3 as I read one can have two installs with a folder rename(?) and see if I can finish the war with my original crew this winter which will coincide with winter of 44-45 at sea.

Look forward to comments to see if I am tracking correctly on this caper.

So I downloaded Gold to my desktop (thought it might be zipped or rar but it is a .exe (1.31GB). Is that the whole ball of wax or do I need something else (I am not a computer expert and it all seems daunting at times).

Last edited by PappyCain; 07-05-09 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 04:17 PM   #12
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

thats all you need, just install gwx and your fine.
Old 07-05-09, 08:12 PM   #13
PappyCain
Samurai Navy

Holy Moly!!! That was too easy - cleaned out file. Installed disk and the GWX Gold!

WOW !!!!!!!!

THANK YOU MATES & GWX TEAM.