SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-09, 05:58 PM   #1
Very Jerry
Watch

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Gold Edition Questions

Presently have SH4 loaded from disc and Add-on Missions downloaded from Direct2Drive. It loads by right clicking SH4 icon and selecting “run as Administrator”.
My questions concerning the Gold Edition are:
1. Does the Gold edition load SH4 and Add-on Missions simultaneous or first SH4 and then Add-on Missions? Plan to start installation with SH4 uninstalled.
2. After installation will it run without “Running as Administrator”?
3. When you first install Gold Edition and use the CD Key included, will an activation Key from Ubisoft be required?
Thank you
Very Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 09:41 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Don't know about the D2D version, but the boxed 'Gold' set comes complete with CD key and loads the entire thing in one swoop. Quick and easy.

I also don't know about "Run as Administrator", because I'm still using XP.
Old 03-20-09, 10:40 AM   #3
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I use Vista and I recommend the following:

1. Create a root folder for SH4. Call it what you want. I named mine Games2 and load all my games here. Stay out of the X86 program folders. Placing the SH4 game in the X86 files produces errors when loading mods.
2. When you install the game browse to your new games root folder and select it for the loading destination. You will find your SH4 icon in the Microsoft created GAMES folder. Create a short cut to the desktop.
3. Once done, set your video card to the defaults. Run the game. Close the game out and reset your video card. (Vista does not like to run SH4 for the first time when your video card is tweaked)
4. Load up JSGME.

The game should run like any other game, just double click on the SH4 icon and away you go. No run as admin needed. Your gold edition should have it's own code for activation I believe.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 11:57 AM   #4
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Both SS and AVG are right on target. Since I have dual boot XP and Vista I don't have a problem.

But I installed on both to compare and I liked Vista better.

Probably my imagination but, it looks and runs better on Vista imo.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 12:00 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

It might run on Vista better because of the RAM Vista 64 can utilize? I run 8 gig on Vista 64 bit. The game does not access the hard drive at all after loading that I'm aware of. It is like flawless virtual play.
Old 03-20-09, 03:31 PM   #6
Very Jerry
Watch

Thanks, I appreciate the help. Only one further question. What do you mean by reset the video card? I have a Geforce 9600 GT, Thanks again.
Old 03-20-09, 03:50 PM   #7
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Vista is strange. If you load the game and start it, you will see the load screen and hear music, etc. But....once you get the menu screen to actually play it is black. So, what you need to do is reset your video card to the default values with the program you use. Default values are those that were running the card the day it was first installed. There should be a one click for that. It should say restore to default. Once done, run the game and you should see everything now. Great! Close the game and reset your video card back up to the values you like.
Old 03-23-09, 11:45 PM   #8
Very Jerry
Watch

Well I unistalled SH4 w/ add-on Missions. Then I loaded SH4 Gold Edition. The install went well. I was surprised that the CD Key was never required. Boy it runs by just clicking on the icon shortcut and I see a big improvement in frame rates - like double or more. I running it to test everything.

But even before the test finishes, I can tell you to get the Gold Edition and throw out your SH4 v1 disc and any Add-on mission you downloaded off the internet. The differance in performance with Vista is staggering.

Again thanks everyone