SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-23, 06:07 PM   #1081
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 49

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
By the way, is there a plain grey texture too (no camo) ?

Yep

Best regards,
Vd

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508
VonDos is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 01:52 AM   #1082
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDos View Post
Times ago i studied the idea to have library object who change colors in order to adapt to ship's multiskin textures.
I've done it for SH4 with the ships in the MFM, removing the gun platforms from the main ship 3D models and adding them in a library. That library object takes the texture from the main ship hull, so it fits with the rest of the ship.

So there's a big chance that if it works in SH4, it can be done in SH3.
Old 05-01-23, 10:16 AM   #1083
VonDos
Admiral

Nuke

@JapLance thanks, this is exactly the idea of italian destroyers' late war A\A support

For everyone, before release something, allow me to introduce a serie of pre-release posters

Every ship features moving parts, radars and rangefinders, glass windows, interiors, 3d portholes, stairs, details etc...

Again , no AO, only excellent textures from flush deck

Best regards,
Vd

Last edited by VonDos; 05-05-23 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-01-23, 03:28 PM   #1084
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post
I've done it for SH4 with the ships in the MFM, removing the gun platforms from the main ship 3D models and adding them in a library. That library object takes the texture from the main ship hull, so it fits with the rest of the ship.

So there's a big chance that if it works in SH4, it can be done in SH3.
If this works in SH3, then you can leave the turrets in the library files and link them directly to the ship's texture. You still have to place the turret's texture into the ship's texture, and redo the uv-map of the turrets.

@VonDos : Just in case, did you see this message : https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=1079 ?

Else, very nice work, and congratulations to Flushdeck for these beautiful skins ! They are pieces of art.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 04:39 PM   #1085
VonDos
Admiral

Quote:
@VonDos : Just in case, did you see this message : https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=1079 ?

Else, very nice work, and congratulations to Flushdeck for these beautiful skins ! They are pieces of art.
Thank you so much for your words!
Yep, i read. As said, this will require some study, whatever is the best way to do it. I know your way is correct, and i guess JapLance's one is correct too (this is the one i used in the past, as said, for other uses.
At moment i'm a little busy with new models, but, again, i'm not ruling out this feature for the future

\\ You still have to place the turret's texture into the ship's texture \\ <- note, this new turret's texture should be placed on the same place for every ship sharing the same gun, in order to have a correct uvmap into library compatible with every ship textures. And in some ship textures, like for battleships, between main and secondary guns, there could be 3 or 4 turret's textures who need to be placed, in different tga places, who need to be shared for every ship who used the same guns, with every ship having different uvmaps and textures done in the past. All without lose too much resolution for turret's textures. The choice is between this and rebuilt al the dats\sim\zon adding all the guns info\sim data\zon data who should be copied from actual library for every gun to add into dat, and all guns and all turret's textures into ship's textures. With 35\40 warships built only in last 3 years, and up to a dozen of ship textures for some warships, all of them who will need to be reworked in every case, this will be an hell of work, who will realistically stop the model production for months, maybe years. The textures question will be only the top of the iceberg, and keep in mind also the memory use in a 32bit limited game and the increased number of IDs into data (guns, barrels, 3d models..) to verify in order to avoid CTD, if we choose your method. Oh yes
But, maybe, someone could be interested in help us, having all released guns and ships models and textures ready.

Would anyone volunteer?

Well, sorry for the long message, it's just to be clear with my ideas...
Best regards,
Vd

Ps: I totally agree! Every texture flush deck create for us is a really masterpiece =) I'm glad and thankful for all the work he do for those models =)

Last edited by VonDos; 05-01-23 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-02-23, 03:47 AM   #1086
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
This new turret's texture should be placed on the same place for every ship sharing the same gun, in order to have a correct uvmap into library compatible with every ship textures. And in some ship textures, like for battleships, between main and secondary guns, there could be 3 or 4 turret's textures who need to be placed, in different tga places, who need to be shared for every ship who used the same guns, with every ship having different uvmaps and textures done in the past. All without lose too much resolution for turret's textures. The choice is between this and rebuilt al the dats\sim\zon adding all the guns info\sim data\zon data who should be copied from actual library for every gun to add into dat, and all guns and all turret's textures into ship's textures. With 35\40 warships built only in last 3 years, and up to a dozen of ship textures for some warships, all of them who will need to be reworked in every case, this will be an hell of work, who will realistically stop the model production for months, maybe years. The textures question will be only the top of the iceberg, and keep in mind also the memory use in a 32bit limited game and the increased number of IDs into data (guns, barrels, 3d models..) to verify in order to avoid CTD, if we choose your method.
I understand your point of view.

In fact, it would be easy to test the idea (turret's texture included in the ship's texture) without having to redo all the textures of every ship carrying the same turret. Indeed, you just have to duplicate the turret in the library files. So, for one turret (base + cradle + barrel), you have to add :
+ 6 ID for the .dat file (node + 3D model for each part of the gun)
+ 1 ID for the .sim file
+ 1 ID for the .zon file

The biggest work is to modify the texture of the ship and to redo the uv-map of the 3D models. And I understand that you and Flushdeck don't want to do this work, only because the "all blue" texture needs blue turrets...

That's why it's important to keep this in mind before doing the texture work.

So, maybe for the next ship ?
Old 05-02-23, 05:51 AM   #1087
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Downloads: 96

Quote:
@JapLance thanks, this is exactly the idea of italian destroyers' late war A\A support

For everyone, before release something, allow me to introduce a serie of pre-release posters

Every ship features moving parts, radars and rangefinders, glass windows, interiors, 3d portholes, stairs, details etc...

Again , no AO, only excellent textures from flush deck

Best regards,
Vd
Yea Pre dread ship Old but Dangerous for Mechant/Destroyers
Old 05-02-23, 06:36 AM   #1088
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Well im Still studying To make new Ship HNLMS De Ruyter And just finish doing some stuff Uv mapping I take the Model From Wows But I still doesnt know how to Add it into the game
Old 05-02-23, 07:29 AM   #1089
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

For some reason it will Have differences after im finish it
Old 05-02-23, 10:14 AM   #1090
VonDos
Admiral

Quote:
I understand your point of view.

In fact, it would be easy to test the idea (turret's texture included in the ship's texture) without having to redo all the textures of every ship carrying the same turret. Indeed, you just have to duplicate the turret in the library files. So, for one turret (base + cradle + barrel), you have to add :
+ 6 ID for the .dat file (node + 3D model for each part of the gun)
+ 1 ID for the .sim file
+ 1 ID for the .zon file

The biggest work is to modify the texture of the ship and to redo the uv-map of the 3D models. And I understand that you and Flushdeck don't want to do this work, only because the "all blue" texture needs blue turrets...

That's why it's important to keep this in mind before doing the texture work.

So, maybe for the next ship ?
ID are also required for men operating the guns, for open shield turrets...

Maybe for the next ship? Well, maybe not honestly. All the work we're doing, in my opinion, is in order to "homogenise" various Kriegsmarine (an other nation's) warships, and assure a standard quality level for all of them. Introduce new features on a group of ships only will create different standards in the same fleet. So, if this turret's features will be implemented, will interest ALL the Regia Marina and Kriegsmarine ships. And will not be this year (or next one, i guess).
Kriegsmarine's ship includes a main new features,in comparison to Regia Marina units, moving radar and rangefinders. This is a thing i'm interested to fix too, and will require some time too (not too much, is just a library question), maybe when Kriegsmarine and Royal Navy fleets will be completed.

This question is far more complex, and i'm easily bored from copy-paste info, controllers, 3dmodel etc... This is just my opinion, btw.
Again, if someone will be interested in implement this feature, certainly his work will be included, gladly, and with credits!!

Would anyone volunteer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerzhunters View Post
Yea Pre dread ship Old but Dangerous for Mechant/Destroyers
Dangerous for cruisers too, i guess, with 28cm guns... or for polish radio stations...

Quote:
Well im Still studying To make new Ship HNLMS De Ruyter And just finish doing some stuff Uv mapping I take the Model From Wows But I still doesnt know how to Add it into the game

For some reason it will Have differences after im finish it
Oh, HNLMS De Ruyter, i really love this ship, she always remembererd me a kind of "small" Graf Spee version!
Years ago i found an old model and i've reworked it a little, it still working in my installation:

She really deserve a better rework, but the base is really good. I must search for info about the author(s).

Btw, what differences you have??
I'm not really intro import Wow models (i still prefere sh5 style, less high poly, 3d models, with medium-hight level of details intead of super higt :P question of taste... and memory too), but maybe i can help... Let us know!!

EDIT: It's the Ambient Occlusion problem you show in the other threads? https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=255362

Best regards,
Vd

Last edited by VonDos; 05-02-23 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-02-23, 11:51 AM   #1091
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Well yeah the ambient oclusion Is Bugging and Idk why

Last edited by Tigerzhunters; 05-02-23 at 01:18 PM.
Tigerzhunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 11:56 AM   #1092
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

well i think that was moltke2005

Old 05-02-23, 12:03 PM   #1093
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Well can you share me the moddel i cant search FokkerC11w For the Catapult?
Old 05-02-23, 01:33 PM   #1094
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Well when im wanted import 3d obj it always say this and it crash my s3d

Old 05-02-23, 02:27 PM   #1095
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Well when im wanted import 3d obj it always say this and it crash my s3d

Too many polygons, you have to separate the model into several parts (let's call them "3D meshes") and import them into different nodes. Take note that only the 3D mesh contained in the main node (or "root" node) will show some damage textures when a shell or a torpedo explodes on the ship. So, choose carefully the polygons for the main 3D mesh (only large surfaces).

Tags
kriegs marine, ocean liners, regia marina, royal hellenic navy, warships