SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-17, 04:36 AM   #1
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

Default Delanski's Type VIIC Model

Hey guys, I've been eagerly waiting for this kit to arrive for a couple weeks and it finally did this morning. I'd figured I'll take photos and start a thread as I thought you all would probably enjoy this and watching my progress.

This is a AFV Club Type VIIC 1/350 scale model (20cm Long). Originally I've been looking at Revell Models and I actually wanted the 1/144 Type VIIC (05038) model but everywhere I looked is out of stock, plus with my temporary bedroom situation, space is an issue so the 1/350 works out for me at least

I went to AFV Club kit for a number of reasons after doing some research and comparing to a lot of other 1/350 kits out there,

1. In my opinion is by far the best detailed 1/350 model I've seen compared to other brands and not so overdone like the Revell kit is.
2. This kit actually comes with a optional photo etched set which is awesome!
As the plastic handrails on smaller models can be little bit....fat? or stubby which is a deal breaker for me. This kit works out great for me! There are companies out there that do custom PE sets across a number of models & brands but they pretty can be costly. I was considering buying a Revell 1/350 kit along with a Eduard PE set then I came across this kit, saved me a little over $50.

The PE set I was talking about before. And you can see the plastic handrails up above.

Loving the details on the deck

I hadn't realised the kit contain the pressure hull which is kind of cool. Also comes with torpedoes as well.

Starting cutting out the hulls this afternoon. Had to stop half way through to make a quick trip the hobby shop to get sanding flex sticks to smooth off the excess plastic from the sprue gates as cutting them off can be difficult (and can lead to a regrettable accident. Would not be happy if I slipped and left a deep mark on the hull) and requires precision cutting. So I'll be taking it easy for this one. Happy with it turned out so far.

More pictures to come in the coming days/weeks. I've order some more tools last friday and hoping they arrive this week. Stay tune!

Last edited by Delanski; 01-23-17 at 04:58 AM.
Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 05:28 AM   #2
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Update, my tools arrived this morning! Had to wait til after work to open my package. These should make it a lot easier to build the U-Boat now.

Now that I have everything I needed, it's time I started cutting off more pieces and gluing them together. Beginning with the Pressure hull first and then gluing it to the outer hull.

Had to the glue dry off first before I could do the other hull. I thought the next step would have to be the base stand. After all I would need something pretty soon to keep the U-Boat still and standing upright while I would do the deck work. Smoothed all the corners off from the excess plastic.

Getting more hull work done. It was tricky that this is my second try. On the first attempt, I tried gluing all the edges in one go but it was too much work trying to keep everything to stick together with only your fingers then eventually I slipped and hull fell apart. This time I only glued the keel making it more easier on me keeping it together. Going to let it dry overnight then hopefully I'll get around to doing the bow and stern tomorrow arvo.

Old 01-24-17, 12:38 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 03:30 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Looks like you're off to a good start.
Old 03-09-17, 03:58 AM   #5
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Sorry guys it's been a while, just work and social life coming in. Plus dropping the boat and loosing a few piece had me pretty discouraged. Although I've found the email to the distributor company, so hopefully I'll be able to get some replacements. I plan on emailing towards the end, in case I lose or break anything else. That's what I'm discovering with the 1/350 scale, they really are fragile and it's so easy to break and lose something (for eternity).

So here's my current progress as of today.

This thing took bloody ages to get right.

And top of that, I've made another purchase! Something bigger and easier.

I also have a few models to the side that I've had in my wardrobe for the last 7-8 years which I probably may do.
Old 03-09-17, 10:15 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Plus dropping the boat and loosing a few piece had me pretty discouraged.
There was always a lot of sabotage in the subpens!
Quote:
KL Peter Zschech, U–505.(Now in Chicago) The boat had suffered some sabotage damage before his 3rd patrol, for which several French dockyard workers were subsequently shot. He had returned early from his 4th, 5th and 6th due to ’strange noises’ caused by the sabotage, and from his 7th due to a burned out main ballast pump. Zschech took U–505 out on 9 October, 1943 on his 7th patrol On 23 October U–505 was located by surface forces and depth charged. During the attack Zschech shot himself in the head with his revolver. The 1st W.O., OL Paul Meyer brought the boat in, after burying KL Zschech at sea.
http://www.nauticapedia.ca/Articles/U-Boat_Commanders.php

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
model