SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-12, 07:31 PM   #1
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0

Computer Upgrade Mayhem!! [WARNING: Graphic Violence, Explicit Lyrics]

A true hack-n-slash saga.

The time has come to replace the weary and laughably puny 305W power supply in this trusty old beast. The problem is, all of the replacement units I have looked at have a fan in the top! I am screwed, my dear readers! My computer case is not built for that. I suspect that I will have to borrow a sawzall and hack a squarish, sort of triangularly ovoid circle out of the chassis to accommodate that blasted fan. Is this workaround over the top? Or right on par with a good upgrade-gone-awry/ouch-I-lost-another-toe-but-got-the-job-done-anyway success story?

Another thing I have noticed is that many of the PSU fans these days are illuminated by LED. What am I supposed to do with an illuminated fan? Stare at it!? Pah! I have more useful things to do with my time! Moria uber alles!!

Anyway, on a more serious note:

*cough*

The target machine is the nefarious Dell Dimension E510; a computing device of great virtue and stunning prowess. I have done my reading and discovered that the power connectors on this model are not of the proprietary Dell annoyance, and that an ATX 20+4 power supply will be sufficient. By my current lack of planning this new power supply must possess some Molex connectors, a few SATA connectors, a 6-pin connector to power a magnificent new video card (as-yet-undetermined make/model), and a socket with which to power my automatic coffee-drip machine.

I will need at least a 550W, and I will need something that will survive for a few years. Preferably something that can survive a direct hit from an Shkval torpedo, but... well, here's to wishing for things we cannot have. Cost is... probably not in my favor at this point but I am only in the beginning stages of proper lack of planning.

With that said, I open the floor to further pointers, ideas and suggestions.

Also... ummm, if someone can point me in the direction of a few good fabric patterns for a new mankini...

Last edited by krashkart; 02-10-12 at 07:53 PM.
krashkart is offline   Reply With Quote