SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-14, 06:03 AM   #361
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LI_ View Post
Hello,

first of all I would like to say thanks to all the people that invest so much time and energy in all these mods to make SH5 a playable game.

I recently installed the "wolves of steel"-megamod and really enjoyed the first missions. But for any reason the game now often suddenly crashes back to desktop. In the majority of cases this appears directly after loading a savegame at sea (while savegames in the harbour can still be loaded correctly...). But sometimes the ctd appears also while regular playing.

Has anyone the same problems?

Edith says: Could it be that the ctd has anything to do with the recent update of the Ubisoft-Gamelauncher?
This is written by Sober...

How to save the game .
I only save while surfaced and my avatar is on deck .
Do not save with damaged ships around because the game does not save damage .
Be aware that the game doesnt save the weather properly and the weather might change on the next save load .
I name my saves a diffrent name on each new save (sober1 , sober2 etc)

Check CTD scenario 8 here too... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210153

With that in mind, start new patrol from bunker save (or even better start new campaign) and send us radio report in a few days...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 08:08 AM   #362
_LI_
Nub

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Thx...I'll try this out. The ctd indeed mostly appeared while approaching Scapa Flow as I tried to sneak past the destroyers.

I'll report if it works.
_LI_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 01:32 PM   #363
Captain Birdseye
Watch Officer

Location: Sat behind my desk at BdU tapping away on my Enigma machine.
Downloads: 44

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know how I can disable the manual aiming with the periscope? i'm no good with maths and would like my Weapons Officer to provide the solution.
Old 03-01-14, 03:08 PM   #364
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Birdseye View Post
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know how I can disable the manual aiming with the periscope? i'm no good with maths and would like my Weapons Officer to provide the solution.
Just line your sub up 90 degrees with the target and get reasonably close but not too close that the torpedo hasn't the distance to arm itself . Set your scope at zero degrees . Set torpedo to fast and when you think the ship is at the correct distance from zero , fire the torp . I get a hit nearly every time .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 01:44 PM   #365
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LI_ View Post
Thx...I'll try this out. The ctd indeed mostly appeared while approaching Scapa Flow as I tried to sneak past the destroyers.

I'll report if it works.
Any changes? If that doesn't help add this fix and try again... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4342
Old 03-03-14, 01:13 PM   #366
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Ahoy wolves made of steel, please fell free to ask any question in this thread, not on PM, so that anyone can answer your question, not only me. It's kind of useless to answering always on similar questions via PM over and over again...

Don't be afraid to ask, wolves wont bite you...I guess...
Old 03-03-14, 02:08 PM   #367
RushTheBus
Engineer

Downloads: 211

Is there any chance we could get an option, add-on, or could we ourselves have the low resolution patch disabled?
RushTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:40 PM   #368
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Ahoy wolves made of steel, please fell free to ask any question in this thread, not on PM, so that anyone can answer your question, not only me. It's kind of useless to answering always on similar questions via PM over and over again...
I agree

Quote:
Don't be afraid to ask, wolves wont bite you...I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushTheBus View Post
Is there any chance we could get an option, add-on, or could we ourselves have the low resolution patch disabled?
devicing an 'high resolution patch' for TWoS is quite straightforward, and you could create one yourself: just check which textures are gettting overwritten by DynEnv's low resolution patch, and replace them with their equivalent from DynEnv's main mod
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:40 PM   #369
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushTheBus View Post
That would be a waste of time...Dyn Env low resolution patch only effects textures which are not visible with normal gameplay, like sea flour, rocks IIRC.
Old 03-03-14, 03:28 PM   #370
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
That would be a waste of time...Dyn Env low resolution patch only effects textures which are not visible with normal gameplay, like sea flour, rocks IIRC.
not exactly. Environmental features affected by the low resolution patch:
sea foam
underwater suspension
explosion halos
lightnings
moon and moon halo
seagulls
various smokes
some water splashes, esp. bullet/shell splashes

low resolution versions of seabed, rocks, seaweeds, etc. are available as separate submods and if, I remember correctly, they are not part of your megamod.
Old 03-04-14, 01:30 PM   #371
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
not exactly. Environmental features affected by the low resolution patch:
sea foam
underwater suspension
explosion halos
lightnings
moon and moon halo
seagulls
various smokes
some water splashes, esp. bullet/shell splashes

low resolution versions of seabed, rocks, seaweeds, etc. are available as separate submods and if, I remember correctly, they are not part of your megamod.
I see, sry for my mistake, although I really think that even textures from your low res patch look just great.
Old 03-04-14, 01:51 PM   #372
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I see, sry for my mistake, although I really think that even textures from your low res patch look just great.
Yep, for most purposes and at the most common game resolutions they look about as good as the HD ones, and they take much lesser memory than the latter
Old 03-05-14, 09:14 AM   #373
steineib
Watch

Downloads: 13

ok i have something to ask, so i hope the wolves dont byte too strong also in this video here you can see the rate of fire is nice fast. would it be possible to make this happens in the game/mod, and the smoke after fire a shell would this somehow possible to make ? and in a other video , ok its a musicvideo.... but there i can see how fast the deck gun can turned at 3:15 so i hope this ideas are not too far away from possible kind reguards steineib
steineib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 10:06 AM   #374
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Actually the way that film is edited you can't tell if the rate of fire is fast or slow. You never see the gun fire twice in one film shot. In reality the 8.8cm deck gun could fire once every four seconds or so, which is quite fast. The problem was that even in a calm sea the boat rolled a lot, so they had to wait to fire until the boat rolled in the right direction. In a heavier sea the problem was much worse. The bad news is that the game doesn't change the rate of fire for differing sea conditions, so it's either way too fast in rough seas or a little slow in calm seas.

In stock SH3 and SH4 the gun does fire that fast, and I assume that it is the same for SH5. It is usually a mod that slows it down to a more practical level, and it is possible to make it as fast or as slow as you want it. Unfortunately I can't play SH5 so I can't tell you for certain how to do it.
Old 03-05-14, 12:00 PM   #375
steineib
Watch

Downloads: 13

ok i understand, hmm also would it be maybe better that the rate of fire is ..... sorry my english. bad weather = lower rate of fire good weather = normaly - better rate of fire.
steineib is offline   Reply With Quote