Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-07-22, 07:35 AM   #1
Sammy-rai
Seaman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default Hei One and All !

Hello All -
Just a note to greet all Subsim members and tell you a little bit about myself and share a problem.

I've been gaming for a long while now, my primary interest being military and survival games. Don't have much of a maritime background, though I do remember playing 'Aces of the Deep' many years ago and being surprised by how much more interesting it was than the other Aces titles, which were supposed to be flight simulators. Then suddenly real life took precedence and I cut down on my gaming for some years.

I bought Silent Hunters 3-4-5 on Steam when they were on sale more than a year ago but only now have found enough time to invest in learning the ropes. Thought it was best to begin with Silent Hunter III and eventually work my way up. Surprised by the copious amount of mods available for SH3, but finally decided that my plan would be to install the GWX supermod, a 1920x1080 resolution mod, and SH3 Commander. Then learn how to play and embark on a campaign over the Christmas holidays.

But Christmas went by faster than anticipated and I ended up having less free time than I had thought. I got GWX Gold installed without a hitch and then after a bit of shuffling ARB WideGui installed. Installed Sie's patch as well, since IIRC it was a prerequisite to ARB, but did not find Stiebler's fixes. So now my Windows 7 install of SH3 runs in 1920x1080 windowed resolution (windowed, since my screen is actually 1920x1200) and the graphics look good to me. Then activated 4-5 optional mods via JSGME and everything there seems to be in order.

P.S - by the way, I plan on playing using the manual targeting method, i.e. playing without Watch Officer assistance.

However, I have a problem when SH3 Commander invokes SH3 - the window size for SH3 becomes 1024x768 even though I can see that the resolution is 1920x1080, since about 1/3 of SH3 is visible within the window when run from SH3 Cmdr. Have found 2 config files in my SH3 folder and also one in 'My Documents' and edited them to list 1920x1080 as video resolution but SH3 continues to run in 1024x768 window anyway when invoked via SH3 Commander. Have tried to change the Windowless parm to Yes in these config files but this results in an error message and then SH3 quits (cuz my screen is actually 1920x1200?). By the way, I experience this same 1024x768 window problem when SH3 is invoked by Steam.

Tried using the 4GB patch on SH3 Commander but this did not produce any improvement.

I have never used SH3 Commander before. So I wonder if I actually must use the SH3 process invoked by SH3 Commander ? That is, is it OK if I run SH3 Commander to update my career and then use it to invoke SH3 as usual ? But then close that SH3 instance started by SH3 Cmdr (1024x768) and then open a separate instance of SH3 (which runs in 1920x1080 when invoked alone).

Would that work ? And when my playing session is finished, do I first close the 1920x1080 instance of SH3 and then lastly close SH3 Cmdr (in order to make use of automatic rollback) ? Or do I need to run SH3 Commander at all after it creates a career (as long as I only play career mode in SH3 and turn off 'automatic rollback in SH3 Cmdr) ?

Or is there an easy way to get SH3 Commander to start SH3 in windowed 1920x1080? Maybe I could start both separately from within a single batch file . . .

Thanx for any advice beforehand !

Last edited by Sammy-rai; 01-07-22 at 08:09 AM.
Sammy-rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 10:07 AM   #2
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Welcome aboard!

If you have a Facebook account, you can join us

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25990473292/

Merry Christmas and good winds for 2022.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 11:49 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Sammy-rai!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-22, 02:49 PM   #4
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 05:11 AM   #5
pikke
Sparky

Downloads: 18

Welcome!
I'm sorry to hear you have some problems, I'm not smart enough to help.

I may suggest posting all the mods and patches you have in the order you installed them, so that people able to help can have a proper picture of your game configuration.
pikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 10:21 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote