Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-22, 05:16 PM   #1
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Default Identity Theft

I'm working my way through it now. Shut it all down. Still, one bank branch gave up the cash when the account was flagged. Currently pay to have my credit watched (Aura).

Who has experienced it? Any tips?
Old 11-29-22, 06:33 PM   #2
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Sorry, I'm not even prepared for the event. If you don't have a mortgage you need to watch out for your house too. Really need to photo copy the many cards in my wallet at the very least.

I rue the day that it happens to me.
Old 11-29-22, 06:42 PM   #3
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I put freezes on at the three main credit check companies which should prevent anyone from taking a mortgage or other loan out in my name.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 07:26 PM   #4
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i used to use lifelock i only got one main card that my paycard which i just use at the atm to take money off and have its setup if so, much money gets took off i get a text, if i got to use a card then i just use a prepay card and just enough money on it to cover whatever i use it on some bills i pay with a money order
Old 11-29-22, 07:58 PM   #5
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Identity theft as in people using your personal data to establish new lines of credit and loans? Or hacked existing acct/bank card #?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 12:46 PM   #6
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I put freezes on at the three main credit check companies which should prevent anyone from taking a mortgage or other loan out in my name.
I have that done for me and the missus. I have had my credit watched for well over 10 years(government). Only once did someone in TX attempt to get a loan. It was shut down.
Old 11-30-22, 12:48 PM   #7
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
i used to use lifelock i only got one main card that my paycard which i just use at the atm to take money off and have its setup if so, much money gets took off i get a text, if i got to use a card then i just use a prepay card and just enough money on it to cover whatever i use it on some bills i pay with a money order
Beside MyIDCare that I have for awhile I also started Aura. Similar to Lifelock but some better reviews.

So far the only issue is having a fake ID and check that they attempt to cash at my bank. Two got stopped. One was able to get funds. The accounts are now locked. New accounts opened.
Old 11-30-22, 12:50 PM   #8
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Identity theft as in people using your personal data to establish new lines of credit and loans? Or hacked existing acct/bank card #?
Identity theft in my case is fake driver license, fake checks from others payable to me or my wife. The had our SS numbers. So far just going into banks showing false ID and fraudulent checks.
Old 11-30-22, 01:00 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Here you have a two steps verification, when you use your credit card.

First you enter a code on a web side then an app open on my smartphone where I have to enter second code. And approve the transaction.

My Credit card is connected to me and my address.

This mean it will be darn hart for someone to copy my person and order things in my name.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 01:48 PM   #10
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Here you have a two steps verification, when you use your credit card.

First you enter a code on a web side then an app open on my smartphone where I have to enter second code. And approve the transaction.

My Credit card is connected to me and my address.

This mean it will be darn hart for someone to copy my person and order things in my name.

Markus
I do not use the two part verification. I do however get instant email alerts on all of cards/accounts when something is charged. Also, the use of the credit card if compromised is really only taking money from the credit card company and not my real money in checking/savings. It is up to the credit card company to get their money back once I advise them of fraud. Knock on wood....none of our credit cards have been compromised. It has only been bank cards(debit) and as of late identity theft with fake DL and fraudulent checks.
Old 11-30-22, 08:43 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I do not use the two part verification. I do however get instant email alerts on all of cards/accounts when something is charged. Also, the use of the credit card if compromised is really only taking money from the credit card company and not my real money in checking/savings. It is up to the credit card company to get their money back once I advise them of fraud. Knock on wood....none of our credit cards have been compromised. It has only been bank cards(debit) and as of late identity theft with fake DL and fraudulent checks.
as an ATM tech guard since 9/11 'till I retired in 2019, do U check the machines U insert the debit/bank card make sure someone has not inserted a card reader/skimmer into it?https://www.nwcu.com/learn/how-spot-atm-skimmer

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-01-22 at 12:53 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 09:43 PM   #12
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

really got to watch card reader/swkimmer ones when me and the buddy went to Montana gold hunting they got a hold of his card 2 week out his wife call did you take 600 dollars off that card trying to come home in a 1 ton diesel hauling a 5th wheel cost us 1200 to get out there and we had was my 500 made it back on a empty tank and broke several state laws using red diesel
Old 12-02-22, 10:30 AM   #13
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I can tell you Experian is awful. Lock the wife's credit 25 Nov. 28 Nov the individual with her info changed the internal email at Experian(made new account). The sign on and password on her account are no good. I discovered this by attempting to sign in. No go. I then select "forgot PW and sign in". The messages states an email will be sent to G*******@outlook.com. WTH? We do not have any email like this.

I then read this:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/07/...laining-to-do/

Experian has been breached. If someone has your info a new account can be made and changes(shut down) to the account of the true individual who set it up!! This is a company that is supposed to watch your credentials!!!

I asked the representative at Experian how this mysterious email was added within 3 days of opening an account. He has no idea.
Old 12-03-22, 06:39 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Just one of the reasons why I say "Stick with cash". And even that is not safe since any bank account these days comes with a bank card that can be breached like a Visa or Master Card.

When government or corporations tell me that digital security is safe, I have nothing but loud laughter. I kinbow that then people are talking who know nothing about nothing - or knowingly lie to me.

Its okay to have compouters. The real big dimensions of the problem start to unfold when computers get linked to form networks. Networks are what I would like to see being shut down and prevented.

Adama was right: "No networks on my battlestar, M'am!"
Old 12-03-22, 10:27 AM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

It's the skimmer at POS that gets your card. Much of that is reduced with using the chipped cards or using the tap function when paying. Never use your debit card at restaurants. It goes out of your sight. They can get the numbers on the front. The three numbers on the back. Then all they need to do ask you as you are filling in the tip is where do you live. That is all they need. Card number,. The number code on the back and zip code the card is issued.

I have had my bank card compromised three times. One in TX. Another in PA. Them some clown purchased some kind of game console and other goodies online. The sale was pending. Never got paid because I got an email notification and called the bank immediately. The bank always reimburses within 24 hours.

Use credit cards. If someone runs them it's up to the issuer of the card to go get their money back. After all,it's not your money. It's the banks. You only asked to borrow some and pay back with interest.