SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-22, 04:03 AM   #16
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Very nice! When you say commission, do you mean you build models for hire?
I do indeed, it's something I started a few years back and is something I generally really enjoy. It can become a slight chore if you get a particularly bad kit to build but most of the time it's great. I currently have 4 aircraft awaiting bench time for a regular client in Italy, plus another 5 for a guy in the Czech Republic!

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-22, 04:11 AM   #17
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Speaking of my Czech client, he was kind enough to gift me this Fujimi 1/48 Bf109G-6 late last year. It's a nice kit, although let down slightly by some very awkward seams to fill and sand due to the moulds being designed to cater for a number of other 109 variants.

I built this one mostly from the box, using a Montex mask set for the Italian markings, a Quickboost resin tropical air filter, and brass tubing for the gun barrels.

This was also the first model I photographed with my new DSLR, a second hand Nikon D7000 & macro lens. Still getting the hang of it, but it does give some nice quality shots!

Old 04-26-22, 07:39 AM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Wow, that's excellent, thanks for posting. I would love to be able to sell models, if only to be able to build them and have a place for them. But I am several levels below the skill necessary. Do you have any videos detailing how you manage PE parts, how to glue them on?
Old 04-26-22, 06:01 PM   #19
Steve Gad
Bosun

Downloads: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrimmer42 View Post
Hi fellas, apparently it's been nearly two years since my last post so figured I ought to show my face again!
Beautiful. I could look at those all day. Literally. I don't care later jets - although the English Electric Lightning was my first ever model - but as I bought F-16 Fighting Falcon (F4, as it was) Sim, with the 700 page paper manual, I have a soft spot for F-16.
I still have a Messerschmitt Bf 109 to build as soon as I get a spare day.
The Merc Jeep with the chains on the tyres and blanket on the bonnet for those brisk Stalingrad mornings. Wow.

Thank you for sharing these with us.
Steve Gad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-22, 06:03 PM   #20
Steve Gad
Bosun

Downloads: 518

Quote:
Wow, that's excellent, thanks for posting. I would love to be able to sell models, if only to be able to build them and have a place for them. But I am several levels below the skill necessary. Do you have any videos detailing how you manage PE parts, how to glue them on?
Some people are just good at it - especially the painting. Amazing aren't they?
Steve Gad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-22, 08:22 AM   #21
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yes, indeed. I keep telling myself if I am patient and keep at it I can become more skilled and produce models like that... ok, maybe not THAT good but much better than my current skill level.

Something as simple as using CA glue to attach tiny bits... if I could manage to get the part to stick to the model instead of the tweezers or my fingers it would be a giant first step.
Old 04-28-22, 03:58 AM   #22
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Believe me I hate PE as much as anyone I genuinely try to avoid it most of the time, but when I do use it I have no real technique to it other than decent CA and a good pair of sharp pointed tweezers.

What can help is using a CA accelerator to speed up the cure time, and also sometimes simply using PVA glue to attach parts can end up being easier than CA, especially larger pieces.

Old 04-28-22, 06:35 AM   #23
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Oh, thank you for admitting that!

I've tried dabbing accelerator on the model and dabbing the PE piece in CA to make it stick, with mixed results. Accelerator seems to evaporate quicker that I can move. I need a kicker that comes in a thin gel form.... I really could use 3 arms.

Does accelerator affect the end paint job? When I spray it on the plastic it covers a lot of the model and is visible on the model. Paint seems to cover it.
Old 04-29-22, 03:06 AM   #24
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Quote:
Oh, thank you for admitting that!

I've tried dabbing accelerator on the model and dabbing the PE piece in CA to make it stick, with mixed results. Accelerator seems to evaporate quicker that I can move. I need a kicker that comes in a thin gel form.... I really could use 3 arms.

Does accelerator affect the end paint job? When I spray it on the plastic it covers a lot of the model and is visible on the model. Paint seems to cover it.
Accelerator can affect the final paint job, and clear parts too, so I do tend to avoid it in the final stages. Over bare plastic it's fine though, I've never had it show through once I've painted over it.

Old 04-29-22, 03:16 AM   #25
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

One of my favourite models of late, this is Eduard's new tool 1/48 Tempest Mk.II. I bought this last year from Eduard's Overtree store with a batch of others when they were offering 10% off after the Las Vegas Nats, I think this was something ridiculous like £8. The Overtrees are just the plastic parts to build the model, they don't come with instructions, decals, PE, masks etc, but are a super cheap way of getting some excellent Eduard kits.

This one was built mostly out of the box except for an Eduard spACE set (seatbelts, instrument panel, plus a few extra cockpit bits) and Model Alliance decals.

I had a few comments on FB asking how I'd achieved the chipping on this model, it's actually really easy and is simply added over the final cured matt coat using a sharp Prismacolor Silver pencil.

Old 04-29-22, 05:38 AM   #26
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I'm looking forward to experimenting with washes like that.
Old 04-29-22, 09:47 AM   #27
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

There are a few things I have learned about weathering by watching yt videos and that is you can overdue your weathering.

That is what I have learned. It's better to add a little weathering than too much

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model