SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-10, 09:31 PM   #1
mello85
Seaman

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default No deck gun slots, ehlp!

Hello folks!

I recently installed the newest TMO 2.0. After about 4 patrols I got a few upgrades to my sub. I picked out a new deck gun. Everything was fine, but now one patrol later I noticed that I don't have any slots to put crew in for the deck gun. Any idea what is wrong? I tried saving, loading, restarting and still nothing. Running TMO 2.0 and AOB Dials fix for TMO. No other mods.

Here are some screenshots of the problem.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-28-10, 09:39 PM   #2
Capt. Teach
Gunner

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 1

Sorry I can't be of help but I had the same problem as well. Different circumstances though .... was only running TMO 2.0 and had no gun crew slots from the start of a new career.

Death? I'm not afraid of death, its the last few seconds of life that scare the hell out of me.
Capt. Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 09:45 PM   #3
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Somebody's been playing with the files and didn't know what they were doing. I can tell by the screenshots.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 09:57 PM   #4
mello85
Seaman

What did I do wrong? I only changed my sub name, would this be the cause for the deck gun error?

One more thing I just noticed, up until when I got this new deck gun, all my deck gun options were mountable only in the stern, now they are all mountable only in the bow. Is this just something that is changed by TMO to be historically accurate? or is it some sort of bug?

Last edited by mello85; 09-28-10 at 10:09 PM.
mello85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 11:20 PM   #5
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure i put that info in the PDF file someplace. You can find it in the mods support or documentation directory.
Old 09-29-10, 01:05 AM   #6
mello85
Seaman

hoooly $h!t, that was the world's longest PDF Ducimus!

Finally found it though...

Quote:
Special note on deck gun placement:
Due to a hardcoded bug in the SH4 game engine, it is not possible to switch locations of the deck gun
once a game has been saved to file. Trying to move the deck gun from fore to aft, or vice versa will
result in the crew member slots disappearing. In order to circumvent this bug and prevent it to
happening during play, the deck guns have been “fixed” to a location. By default, TMO defaults to
mounting deck guns forward of the conning tower, as this is the most popular placement.
The exception to this are the Tambor, and Gar, which ONLY have an aft mount due to the larger 5”/51
caliber deck gun they can equip. A bow mount for these two classes is not available.
I'm still kind of confused though. I'm currently in a Gar sub and according to what it says there it should only have stern mounted deck guns. If you look at my screenshot up above you can see that that is not the case. The only 2 options I have are bow mount. Note the bolded text ffrom the pdf.
Old 09-29-10, 06:18 PM   #7
mello85
Seaman

I just started a new career, didn't modify the starting sub name or anything else in any way. I started my campaign in the middle of 1942, which is about where I left off with my last career. I did 1 patrol, my boat underwent a refit and when I looked at the deck gun upgrades all were for the bow and the deck gun crew slots were missing.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's a bug in TMO, anyone have a clue as to how to fix it?
Old 09-29-10, 10:29 PM   #8
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Well, to be honest, i've no desire to play guessing games as to what the problem is, between personal file adjustments and any extra mods run over the top, sky's the limit on what the problem is, and i've always said that i'm absolved of any responsiblity once that occurs.

At any rate, I remember how i structured how deck guns are made available, and the way i did it, it is impossible to get anything but aft mount for tambor and gar. So unless theirs a typo on my part (which i doubt, otherwise id have had more people screaming at me instead of a few compliments on how nice that larger 5/51 is), id have to say, completely uninstall all mods, and re enable just TMO without any personal tweaks or mods and see if the problem still occurs on a new boat. (once data is written to save file it ignores whats in the data directory)
Old 10-01-10, 01:22 AM   #9
mello85
Seaman

Quote:
id have to say, completely uninstall all mods, and re enable just TMO without any personal tweaks or mods and see if the problem still occurs on a new boat. (once data is written to save file it ignores whats in the data directory)
ok...I have disabled the only mod I had besides TMO 2.0 which was the AOB dials fix. I disabled and re-enabled TMO 2.0, deleted all of my save game files and started over. I ran a couple of patrols....and again, when I get back to port, my sub undergoes a refit (October 1942). The deck gun mounting options are all screwed up again...

Before pulling into Pearl Harbor...deck gun is still mounted in the stern...

Moments after docking at Pearl Harbor...I didn't touch anything. I merely went to the submarine upgrades screen and you can see that the components I had installed are all different now. The twin AA gun I had in the first screenshot is now a single AA gun, the deck gun is moved to the bow (instead of stern, the crew slots went missing, again), the color scheme is reverted back to wartime default, and what was Improved SD radar is now just SD radar.

someone please help!

Last edited by mello85; 10-01-10 at 01:47 AM.
mello85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-10, 02:06 AM   #10
L_DOG
Bosun

Downloads: 133
Default Screaming!

I also have the same problems with missing slots.
ive even added a fresh install and redownloaded the TMO.

Reenacting the 10.Komapany Großdeutschland Div.
L_DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 04:30 PM   #11
mello85
Seaman

gonna bump this in case someone has found a solution
Old 11-26-10, 06:18 PM   #12
ShadowWolf Kell
Medic

Downloads: 123

I haven't played with the Gars or Tambors, but if Duci set it so aft mount only, then the only thing I can think of is that you need to use the optional Aft gun mount submod to ensure that any upgrades you can purchase are for an aft mounting, rather than front. You can find this in the TMO 2.0 folder, in the Docutmentation and Optional Mods folders.

You can try installing the aft mounting mod and loading up a save just before you hit port, then accept the refit and see what happens. Not sure if it'll work but it's worth a try. Normally this would really screw things up, but the idea here is to hopefully smooth the transition between subs without messing up the aft crew spaces. It's worth a try.

If that doesn't work, the other option is to start a new game and try to find a timeframe that starts you off in the same type of sub, with the same conning tower refit to use as a template. Basically you have to make a save, then exit the game and copy and paste the sub info from one file to another. This can be messy if you don't know what you're doing but it'll fix it.

I had to do this for a conning tower emblem bug I encounter with OM at one point and it worked, but I had to be really careful about what I cut and pasted.
ShadowWolf Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 09:32 AM   #13
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33
Default re missing slots

dunno if it's any help to ya, but I gotta say I suffered the same prob early in a career after swaping the guns positions around and I don't run any mods (as yet), its just yet another bug in game.

I just put up with it and after much frustration it eventually it sorted itself out (when I got a new sub I think).
troopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 03:04 PM   #14
Rob Jacobsen
Mate

Downloads: 8
Icon8 I Hate This Problem

I have a simple install, and this problem drives me NUTS! I've tried reloading the OnArriving and OnEntering saves, changing stern to bow and bow to stern, and still no gun-crew slots.

Of course I can fire the guns manually, but that takes me away from my other duties and puts my boat in danger.

Aaargh! :Kaleun_Mad
Rob Jacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 03:32 PM   #15
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jacobsen View Post
I have a simple install, and this problem drives me NUTS! I've tried reloading the OnArriving and OnEntering saves, changing stern to bow and bow to stern, and still no gun-crew slots.

Of course I can fire the guns manually, but that takes me away from my other duties and puts my boat in danger.

Aaargh! :Kaleun_Mad
this is an old problem and very fixable.

Simply open the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in a text editor, and remove all instances of "AdditionalRepository". I was able to do this with 1 easy find and replace command. The file can be found in the SH4 folder in your documents. ../SH4/data/cfg/SaveGames/*/ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc

What you are doing is changing the lines like:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 9.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]
to read.....
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 9.CrewMemberSlot 1]

dedicated to aanker, may he rest in peace.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...92&postcount=6

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote