SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT > UBOAT Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-11-22, 11:52 AM   #1
u-47
Watch

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Enabling Mods correctly

In UBoat is there a MOD order one needs to adhere to or is there a way to determine the MODS we have subscrided to are actually working? I have one MOD called ALARM, but it appears no matter where I place it in th elist of other MODS then play the game I dont hear what the MOD should be doing. Any pointers?
u-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-22, 07:32 AM   #2
u-47
Watch

I think I figured it out. Just start a new career.
Old 08-13-22, 09:59 AM   #3
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by u-47 View Post
In UBoat is there a MOD order one needs to adhere to
Yes, in the game launcher's mod list, the mod at the top of the list loads first. The mod at the bottom of the list loads last. You can drag and drop items in the list to change the loading order.

Recommended reading: "When the mods don't work..." guide by Salamander:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2355601681

When you activate and use mods, the changes made by those mods are also stored in one or more of the following temporary folders on your PC:

Cache
Data Sheets
Temp

These three folders are located here:
Code:
C:\Users\<your Windows user name>\AppData\LocalLow\Deep Water Studio\UBOAT
If you you think it would be useful to access these folders in future, create a shortcut for that location on your desktop or wherever.

If you're having problems with a mod, try deleting the contents of those folders:

Cache - typically, try deleting the Cache files if you're having issues with texture mods.

Data Sheets - try deleting these files if you're having issues with mods which include data sheet modifications. How do you know if a mod includes data sheet modifications? Go to that mod's folder (see instructions below) and see if it includes a 'Data Sheets' sub-folder.

Temp - try deleting these files if you're having issues with mods which include scripts. How do you know if a mod includes scripts? Go to that mod's folder (see instructions below) and see if it includes a 'Source' sub-folder.

Where is the mods directory?
It's in your Steam directory:
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\494840
How do you find a specific mod in the mods directory?
If you've installed the mod recently, then in Windows you can change the mods folder view to "Details" mode and then click the "Date modified" column. The latest mod you've installed will then be either at the top or bottom of the list, depending on whether you are using "Date modified" view mode in descending or ascending order.

OR

Each mod is in a folder is named with a numeric ID (not very helpful, but that's what Steam does with Workshop items in all games). To get the ID number for the mod you want to look at, find the mod's page in the Steam Workshop. Then look at the URL in the top of the Steam Window. At the end of the URL is the id number, e.g.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2815913471
That mod's ID is 2815913471

Quote:
or is there a way to determine the MODS we have subscrided to are actually working?
Read the description on the mod's Workshop page to see if the author has mentioned any special requirements such as game version, known mod conflicts, if it only works on a new career, etc.

Sometimes older mods still work with the current version of the game but the author hasn't updated the manifest file in their mod to tell the game launcher which game version it's compatible with. In this case, the launcher displays an orange "outdated!" warning on that mod in the list. The "outdated!" warning doesn't mean for certain that it won't work. You can usually tell from looking at the recent player comments at the bottom of the mod's Steam Workshop page whether that mod still works or not. Otherwise try asking in the Steam UBOAT general discussions forum or the official Discord server.

Quote:
I have one MOD called ALARM, but it appears no matter where I place it in th elist of other MODS then play the game I dont hear what the MOD should be doing. Any pointers?
I presume you mean this mod?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2740292605

Unfortunately, the mod author provides almost no details on the Workshop page. It was released in February this year, which almost certainly means it is compatible with the latest version of the game (B131), which was released in December 2021.

That mod contains replacement sound files AND data sheet modifications. This means it probably requires a new career (and that seems to be the case from what you've already found). Quite often, sound mods include data sheet modifications because they also adjust settings such as the sound volume of the replacement sounds.

Last edited by VikingGrandad; 08-18-22 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Types and minor corrections
VikingGrandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-22, 12:32 AM   #4
u-47
Watch

Wow, thanks for the detailed description, most certainly saved and will be used in the future for troubleshooting.
Old 08-14-22, 11:00 AM   #5
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

You're welcome!

I've just fixed a few minor typos in the post.
VikingGrandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 01:18 PM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the detailed description, most certainly saved and will be used in the future for troubleshooting.

Agree, nicely done VikingGrandad

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 02:18 PM   #7
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Agree, nicely done VikingGrandad
Thank you, RDP!