SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-23, 03:14 PM   #556
gmetzo
Seaman

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

I have a question regarding the UZO. I don't know if this is realistic or not so that's why I am asking you experienced folk.

In calm seas like in the torpedo training mission , the UZO view always bobs up and down like a periscope. I was under the impression that the UZO is more stable given that it is secured tightly on pedestal and it's overall not too high from the waterline to experience crazy up and down movement like a periscope.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/att...1&d=1703189632

In fact in different UIs like for example MaGui , the UZO provides a very stable view , if the weather is not too bad , making it a great tool for observation and range estimation. In ARB it almost feels like you are supposed to use the binoculars instead. Which is fine , it's just that it sort of makes the UZO useless.

Additionally , from what I know , because the UZO was much larger than the regular binoculars , it should offer a greater magnification. This once again is simulated in for example MaGui with the UZO having something like a x10 or x12 magnification. In ARB the UZO has a pretty basic x6 times magnification which once again renders it useless.

I am just really curious to hear from the more experienced folk the reasoning behind this specific UZO simulation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UZO.jpg (45.2 KB, 14 views)