SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-10, 09:05 AM   #16
Bloomstomb
Shore leave

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
In another thread I told you to read the following "carefully"

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...38&postcount=1

"IF" you had done what it said you would not be having problems
I cant argue that lol. Im in the process of reading it VERY carefully now.

I do have all the patches working now tho, without the options. Looks absofarkinlutely great.
Old 04-27-10, 10:37 AM   #17
Bloomstomb
Shore leave

Im reading the guides for manual targeting for kiub.

I have a question on calculating height milirads.

I will quote from the guide.

"At periscope zoom level 6X, lock on the target, press the green circle to turn on the stadimeter and move the mirror ship just above the real ship. Read the angle on the scale to the left. In this case, the ship is 1.1 milirads high (left picture). "

WHen calculating height, are you supposed to use mast of the ship to its water line (where ship meets water)?

Other question is, is the waterline the waterline of the of the ship where it meets the water, or is it the waterline where the sky meets water?

Also, when you are looking at the recognition manual, it says my ships mast is 24m high. Does this include only where ship meets water to the top of the mast or is it looking at the bottom of the ship (which is under water) to the top of the mast?

My calculations in aobf seem to be off slightly (target is 1850 meters away and Im getting a distance of 2000 and change).
Old 04-27-10, 10:52 AM   #18
Sammi79
XO

Downloads: 272

Mast height should be measured from the waterline to the top of the highest mast, the draft is the depth from the bottom of the keel to the waterline. waterline is where the ship meets the water.

If you find you are getting bad results, check the screen ratio you are in. Karazmovnews AOBF comes installed for 4:3 but there is an optional 16:9 mod - I found until I enabled this AOBF 16:9 mod AFTER all OM/Omegu mods I was getting off results... very annoying when you are trying to learn. I used to play in 1024/768 (4:3) then last year I got more ram now I play in 1280/768(16:9)

It shouldn't make a difference but there must be some scale issue with the degree marks in different screen ratios. anyway you could try and see if that helps. the markers and numbers are in visibly different positions on the different AOBFs.
Sammi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 11:06 AM   #19
Bloomstomb
Shore leave

oh that might be it. I was in 5/8.

Let me check that out.

Thanks.

And just to be clear, waterline is where ship meets water right?
Old 04-27-10, 11:18 AM   #20
Sammi79
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomstomb View Post

And just to be clear, waterline is where ship meets water right?
Right.
Old 04-27-10, 12:02 PM   #21
Bloomstomb
Shore leave

Im doing the uboat torpedo tutorial.

I tried to install that mod , use different ratios, it doesnt matter.

Cant seem to get it right. My calculations are always around 50-100meters longer distance than map/ruler .

Maybe target drone 1 is the wrong height?
Old 04-27-10, 12:54 PM   #22
Sammi79
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomstomb View Post
Im doing the uboat torpedo tutorial.

I tried to install that mod , use different ratios, it doesnt matter.

Cant seem to get it right. My calculations are always around 50-100meters longer distance than map/ruler .

Maybe target drone 1 is the wrong height?
Well, 50-100 meters is not far off, I don't play with map contacts so I never knew the ruler distances. A torpedo travelling at 30kts will cover about 15 meters in a second (roughly) and In that time the ship could have moved maybe half that at 15kts so maybe a few (3-8) seconds time difference. If you aimed at the middle of a ship travelling 15kts or less you would still hit anything longer than 100 meters. Also, if the range is slightly longer, it will be aimed slighlty ahead, even with open tubes it takes a second to fire the torpedo.

Also either some info in the recognition manual is wrong or the target ships are sitting wrong in the water... I am kicking myself now that I didn't write down which ship it was but the draft in the manual said 9.3m I set running depths at 9m with magnetic pistols and fired 3 times then watched the torpedos from external view and they passed a full meter and some below the keel harmlessly, in calm seas. That has only happened to me once though in a lot of hours playing, and I thought, hey thats probably quite realistic, there would have been mistakes here and there.

You said target drone? I've never ever seen one, try something a bit meatier its way more satisfying! (and you might find it works better)
Old 04-27-10, 01:54 PM   #23
Bloomstomb
Shore leave

Well I made sure it was the target I was firing at and started a identical mission with auto aim on. It was the correct target.

Its the training mission for torpedoes. Target drone 1(stationary) and the moving one is target drone 2 i believe.

Well I nailed the first sucker from about 4600 meters out (of course it wasnt moving).

But I gotta say, I dont know how accurate I can get range when they are far and there is movement.

I guess thats realistic tho
Old 05-02-10, 01:37 PM   #24
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

While making the periscope reticule and the AOBF finder wheel I spent a lot of time to make sure they're within 50 m of a correct range, even at 4000m up. I never used the map to check up my settings, I used the Mission Editor instead. During rough seas however you can be off by 200m no matter how good you are. So I can safely say that it's as good as it can be, the rest depends on your ability to estimate the miliradians and to interpret the AOBF data.

Accurate range is only important if you want to calculate speed through plotting. I never do that. If you can place yourself ahead of the target you have enough time to close in on a good angle, stop the sub completely and do a fixed wire speed calculation. If you're closing in on a FAST ship, you can also use the 45 mark bearing for that, and just add YOUR speed to the speed the AOBF gives you. Just before shooting, I usually get another range reading because I like to see when the torpedoes hit, on the stopwatch. As long as you keep the gyros lower than 30 degrees, you can mess up with the range by as much as 500m. Actually, I've never seen a torpedo hit exactly on the chronometer mark. They usually hit where I wanted them to do, but 10-20 seconds later. Maybe there's something wrong with how the game calculates range/time.

As for shooting at 4000m plus, that's a crap shoot. Unlike in SH3, the ships in SH4 actually get slowed by hitting the waves. As far as ship handling and convoy scattering is concerned, Lurker has managed to get a better result than you can find in SH5 So don't get used to shooting at ranges greater than 2000m.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 05-29-10 at 06:03 PM.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote