SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-23, 07:42 AM   #1
DJS4000
Hauptmann

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
radar Historical Research Request: allied sub operations near Greenland in June 1941

Ahoy fellow Captains!

First off: I am ashamed to say that my presence here has been lacking, but: I am still very much a fan of this place and happy to be around

Onto the matter at hand: I am currently in the process of editing and producing and kind-of-an-audiobook version of Herbert Werner's book "Iron Coffins". A few episodes are already on YouTube, if you are interested. You get to hear my voice, too, and see some interesting pieces of history as well as some hand-crafted (read: wonky) animations!

ANYWAY.

Why am I plugging this? Well, during production I have noticed some severe discrepancies between the English translation and the German original. Since I am a native German, I am lucky to have access to the OG book. I am sad to say that some parts in the translation are pure fiction, especially when it comes to certain engagements. It is now my mission to bring historical accuracy to this account for the English-speaking world. I am doing quite a lot of research in this matter and luckily almost all of the original war diaries of the German U-Boat force are available online, as you know. But - as it turns out even U-Boat-Kaleuns are just human and sometimes mis-identify ships.

In the current case, the boat of the author (U-557) gets attacked by another sub while on the surface. Luckily, the allied boat screws up and all three fish miss. They loose track in the ensuing pursuit. The enemy sub gets identified as a British River-class. But, as my research indicates, that is impossible since none of the River-class boats were in the area (or...afloat for that matter) at the time.

So, fellow captains, my request:

Do any of you know, by chance, if / what allied (most probably British or American) submarines were active in the area southwest of Greenland in June 1941? That would be a great help in this matter and I would greatly appreciate it!

Much thanks and love,
DJS4000
Old 07-18-23, 09:20 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

DJS4000! I'm reseaching your info request on Greenland ops in 1941...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-23, 09:38 AM   #3
DJS4000
Hauptmann

Downloads: 9
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
DJS4000! I'm reseaching your info request on Greenland ops in 1941...
Awesome sir! Thank you very much!