SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Red Storm Rising
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-09, 01:24 AM   #16
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

You can count me in as well. I play it with an Amiga emulator under Slackware Linux, all running off of my crappy old laptop. It is an incredibly fun game, once you learn all the controls and little nuances.

If RSR could be updated with modern graphics and sounds it would sell very well, I presume...
Old 12-06-09, 12:43 AM   #17
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5

Here is an project for a more updated RSR

http://www.microprose.nl/home.php?action=ShowRSRNews

Claims for be at 23%. I have not seem much activity lately. But there is hope
Old 12-06-09, 12:56 AM   #18
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead Nuke View Post
Here is an project for a more updated RSR

http://www.microprose.nl/home.php?action=ShowRSRNews

Claims for be at 23%. I have not seem much activity lately. But there is hope
Its depressing when a remake uses the same kind of pixellated graphics as the old game. Really, more than 2 decades have past, no one is asking DX10-11 graphics level, but you know a smoother clearer graphics wouldn't be so bad on the eyes at all. ^_^
RSR at 1600x1200 without inch sizes pixels in my book is a win.
Old 12-11-09, 04:53 AM   #19
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28

I have looked into that remake myself and I have even been in email correspondence with the developer. It looks like a promising project and I am faithful that it will be completed at some point. But...

I don't particularly care for it, for several reasons:

1) The author won't release the source code. And, while it is his right to do whatever he wants with his code, I just think its ridiculous to put work into a project like that and release it as simply "freeware." If you are not planning on making money off of a piece of software I really think you should just release the source-code along with it. Seriously. To me, the notion of "freeware" is a hideous and detrimental notion blocking the path to technical advancement. This is just the manifestation of my ridiculous and overly pious open-source ideals, but I just can't help it.

2) It will only run on Windows. (This is very closely related to the above rant, and is in fact a rant itself!)

3) Take a look at this screenshot. Why are there indications next to some of the units? "Cruising?" "Crazy Ivan!?" No thank you, I'd rather deduce such information through other means. Since when is this genre about spoon-feeding us info on targets?

4) I think I like good old RSR just fine. Sure, it has shortcomings just like any other game. But overall its pretty good. And with the proper software you can run it perfectly on just about any platform these days. (Although, I do have plans to make a RSR clone someday, with all the little improvements I'd like to see.)

Okay, now I know I was a little rough. But that's just the way I feel about it.

And, as far as the graphics thing goes... It doesn't phase me either way.

Last edited by kgsuarez; 12-11-09 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Replaced screenshot with a link instead.
Old 11-11-10, 08:01 PM   #20
Dewey
Nub

Downloads: 2

I would be interested in this simulation also. I first played it on a 386 using a null modem cable while out on Cruise and thought it was great at the time.
But I must agree if they are going to do a remake it should be up to date or close to it for the graphics.

Dewey
Viking 707
Old 01-01-12, 03:52 AM   #21
siffert
Nub

Downloads: 15
I still think RSR (PC) is still the best sub game I every played and got almost all them all. Probably because I made Vice Admiral CMOH, 24,000+ ER commanding a Permit! Not only that, but my 1989 Compaq Deskpro 286e I had when I bought the sim (back in '89 it was $69.95! ) is still running like clockwork too!