SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-10, 07:49 AM   #1
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt Thomsen View Post
Just one quick question...How do you edit the briefing text for your custom built battle? I can't seem to find it anywhere..
In the Jutland\Data2\Scenarios folder, you create a .txt file with the same name as you used when you saved the scenario with the editor. Once this .txt file exists, next time you save the scenario with the editor, it will incorporate this text into the scenario.

This text appears in the upper part of the scenario selection screen when you start a new battle. It'll be under the date, time, and weather info so you'll probably have to use the scroll bar to see it.

I think this is covered in the scenario editor tutorial. If not, I need to fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt Thomsen View Post
The simulation options..gunnery accuracy, damage control, torpedo damage etc.. do they adjust for YOUR ship or for ALL ships in the battle? Put another way, can I have deadly accurate gunnery while the AI ships are average?
Nope. The sliders affect all ships.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 07:25 PM   #2
Kptlt Thomsen
Bosun

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
In the Jutland\Data2\Scenarios folder, you create a .txt file with the same name as you used when you saved the scenario with the editor. Once this .txt file exists, next time you save the scenario with the editor, it will incorporate this text into the scenario.

This text appears in the upper part of the scenario selection screen when you start a new battle. It'll be under the date, time, and weather info so you'll probably have to use the scroll bar to see it.

I think this is covered in the scenario editor tutorial. If not, I need to fix that.

Nope. The sliders affect all ships.

Great, Thank you for the tips. I hope to see more releases from SES
Old 01-27-09, 09:24 AM   #3
Bis71
Gunner

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMachina
ok, i'll gripe

camera control is pretty bad. might be a deal-breaker as the game relies a lot on being able to move about the map efficiently. i'll see if i can get any more comfortable with it and will try some of the other camera-control options the game offers.

saving grace might be the ability to fight from the 2D map.

otherwise, seems like a very impressive game.
At the very beginning of RJW, I had the same feeling, then I realized that I was stuck in an old paridigm. Once I realized what SES was trying to do with a PoV separate from a unit and starting to use all camera options, view became comfortable.
Old 01-27-09, 07:51 PM   #4
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

There are several ways to use the camera. It is a bit strange at first but once you know what keys to us for what camera view, it all make sense. Hit F1 for you keys to use for the camera views.

Screenshots, any idea how to take them?
Old 01-27-09, 11:05 PM   #5
darius359au
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
There are several ways to use the camera. It is a bit strange at first but once you know what keys to us for what camera view, it all make sense. Hit F1 for you keys to use for the camera views.

Shift-F8
Old 01-28-09, 12:15 AM   #6
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius359au
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Shift-F8
In Jutland, they go in their own folder off the main folder. When you take one, the default file name is the scenario name + a gametime stamp. If the game is paused, all gametime stamps will be the same so any existing shots will be renamed to "backup X scenario name gametime stamp". Thus, you don't overwrite previous pics taken with the game paused.

In the RJW, the screenshots go into the main folder and DO get overwritten if you take more than 1 with the game paused. This is something that will probably get fixed in the 1.5 upgrade.

BTW, use SHF-F7 to get rid of all the GUI stuff to take more realistsic screenshots.
Old 09-08-10, 12:03 PM   #7
ancient46
Officer

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 1
Default Jutland 1993

Would you be able to compare your game with Jutland by Software Sorcery released in 1993? I liked the game but it had a steep learning curve.
Do they still own the copyright to the name?
ancient46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-10, 02:31 PM   #8
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient46 View Post
Would you be able to compare your game with Jutland by Software Sorcery released in 1993? I liked the game but it had a steep learning curve.
Never had that game so can't compare.

Quote:
Do they still own the copyright to the name?
Jutland is a place on the map so you can't copyright that. There have been many games for miniatures, boardgames, and computers games named that. What you copyright is what you put out under that name: the guts of your game . But just to be clear, the full name of our product is "Distant Guns: Jutland", which nobody but SES ever uses.
Old 09-09-10, 03:04 PM   #9
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
But just to be clear, the full name of our product is "Distant Guns: Jutland", which nobody but SES ever uses.
Which is mostly the first DG's fault. Noone calls it "Distant Guns: The Russo-Japanese War At Sea", or even just Russo-Japanese War At Sea. So "Distant Guns" ended up firmly stuck with the original RJW title!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 08:47 AM   #10
Vainglory
Nub

Uh, newbie here...

I do hope Bullethead checks in now and then. I've had the game for maybe a month now and I think it's great. Well worth what I paid, but there are a few issues I've had with it.

Firstly, I've had ships that seemed to sink after I left a battle. In my first campaign SMS Seydlitz took heavy damage (pumping exceeded flooding, however, and there were no out of control fires) engaging the channel monitors. She vanished from my orbat once the battle ended. Because she was so badly damaged I could understand it, annoying though it is.

But recently I lost SMS Grosser Kurfurst... she had suffered moderate damage, but there were no uncontrolled fires and pumping exceeded flooding. I'd engaged Beatty's battlecruisers in the dark so she'd taken out HMS Tiger and Queen Mary. I'd dropped her out of the line when damage became moderate to ensure she survived. I saved with her well out of harm's way, no uncontrolled fires, and pumping exceeded flooding.

The battle ended and another one began with her in it. I quit without saving, but when I reloaded from the save (with Grosser Kurfurst seemingly okay), the battle finished, and a new one began, she was gone.

It's perplexing that she would disappear when previously, in identical circumstances, she hadn't. Surely if fires are under control, and flooding is under control, your ships shouldn't sink? And if she didn't sink, where did she go? The manual has no clues.

Secondly, chasing the merchants. I understand that this is a feature, but personally I find it annoying. I know a game can't be tailored to everyone's tastes, but I just thought it was worth saying. Most times the merchant can do nothing to escape, or if it can escape then the pursuit vessels can do nothing to prevent it. Seems like a tedious distraction either running the game at 20x or resolving via end battle.
Vainglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 07:38 PM   #11
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vainglory View Post
Uh, newbie here...
Welcome aboard! New guy buys the drinks

Quote:
But recently I lost SMS Grosser Kurfurst... The battle ended and another one began with her in it. I quit without saving, but when I reloaded from the save (with Grosser Kurfurst seemingly okay), the battle finished, and a new one began, she was gone.

It's perplexing that she would disappear when previously, in identical circumstances, she hadn't. Surely if fires are under control, and flooding is under control, your ships shouldn't sink? And if she didn't sink, where did she go? The manual has no clues.
There are several possible explanations:

First off, it depends on where you saved the 1st time. She might have ended up taking fatal damage later in that battle if it continued to run.

Second, perhaps her damage proved fatal the 2nd go-round. All damage control resolution, whether in a battle or afterwards, has a random element in it. It's thus possible, from the same starting point, to end up at different results. For example, suppose she was on fire at the end of the 1st battle. That fire might have been enough to damage the propulsion or crew to the point that the rest of the damage became fatal. Same with flooding damage to some extent.

Third, she might have hit a mine or been torpedoed by a sub in between battles. Such encounters also have a random element so might not always happen.
Old 01-28-11, 12:56 PM   #12
crackaces
Watch

Default Sinking but Fighting?

I have noticed that a ship determined to sink, continues pouring accurate fire until about 2 minutes left and then decides to abandon ship. Is there an historic reference that a sinking ship's crew should act like the French Foreign Legion ? I would think once the fate is known that crew would be thinking about survival?

I have also noted that accuracy does not increase as much as I would think at less than 5K meters. (Given the ship is not sinking ) At this point the guns are simply bore sighted as the danger area is rather large. Has SES looked at this?

Thanks! Great game as I cannot find players for AH Jutland...
crackaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 11:44 PM   #13
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackaces View Post
I have noticed that a ship determined to sink, continues pouring accurate fire until about 2 minutes left and then decides to abandon ship. Is there an historic reference that a sinking ship's crew should act like the French Foreign Legion ? I would think once the fate is known that crew would be thinking about survival?
There are many cases of ships going down with guns still firing, if they had any left in operation. It was probably a matter of folks not getting the word, or not realizing something was seriously wrong.

In moments of great stress, such as combat, folks tend to get tunnel vision. They fixate totally on the task at hand, such as shoveling coal, humping ammo, or aiming guns, until forcibly reminded that things are badly haywire, such as by water coming up their legs. Remember, in a ship, very few folks can see beyond the bulkheads of the compartments they are in, and only a few of those folks have any contact with other compartments. And if the ship's communications are damaged, nobody near the bow will know the stern no longer exists until the ships stands on end.

There's also the difference between what the game notes as "sinking" and what people in the ship would comprehend. The game marks ships as sinking when they've been "mathematically eliminated", as in flooding exceeding pumping beyond hope of recovery. But real captains live in eternal fear of being remembered for abaondoning their ships too quickly, and don't have anywhere near as accurate a "death clock" for their ships as the game provides. Hence, when the game says a ship will sink in 20-odd minutes, in real life the captain would still probably think he could do something to save her, and most of the rest of the crew would know they'd been hit but wouldn't have given up the ship yet.

Quote:
I have also noted that accuracy does not increase as much as I would think at less than 5K meters. (Given the ship is not sinking ) At this point the guns are simply bore sighted as the danger area is rather large. Has SES looked at this?
The hit rates in Jutland with default accuracy were tested extensively and give the same values, over the long run, as historical data provides. Even at pretty short ranges, hit rates seldom exceeded 10% in real life combat. This of course was rather less than obtained in practice, but this is a game about combat, not practice.

BTW, I haven't properly welcomed you yet. New guy buys the drinks
Old 06-23-11, 10:15 AM   #14
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Saved info locations

Hi
I searched my HD and this thread but could not find where Jutland save game files are stored. Also, I was running in fast speed and saw a unit report critical but the messages went off screen so fast that I missed it.

That started my search for the action report text log to review, no luck. Search for saved game files, no luck.

How can I get past info? Where is the campaign activity logged?