SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-13, 09:44 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the remark on Opera, I indeed took Mini it seems (redirected from Opera to Google's appstore, what is the use of this? It's free, why don't they allow downloading it from their own site? I realised that many if not all app releasers seem to practice like this, even if the app is free).

But reading Tom about Opera, it seems the browser is not a hit on mobiles anyway. I think I skip there.

Do you have a recomemndation for a good memory cleaner and in general a cleaning tool like described here?
http://www.mediabistro.com/appnewser...071#more-34071

And so far I am totally naked, I have no AV or firewall installed, since browsing on the issue led me nowhere so far. No advise about that, no-one?

I learned about the first letdown today, that is that android mobiles do not allow apps to get installed on an external memory card, and that that second card is just for data, not for apps. At least not without something they called "Rooting" a and a lot of magical mumbo-jumbo tech-wizard stuff getting done - I read some articles, and did not get any clue. So I will not do it. It is a big technical letdown, some people may order even 64 GB cards, kids who want to install games, and then they lose the money only to learned hat the 5x memory will be of no use to them.

The whole tech business displays a monumental amount of stupidity and ignorance on this "feature". Somebody should get spanked for that. Idiotic.

I choosed Infinite Painter as second app, beside Sketchbook Pro, and had a first glance. It's seems to be okay, the one app for drawing, the other more for painting. It is not Artrage 4 on PC - which I love, although my artistic talents really are rudimentary only, but it is a phantastic software - but at the PC I still go with a graphics tablet, no touchscreen monitor, while having that touchy thing with the tablet. That is a superbig bonus, it really is.

I read a lot with the ez PDF reader, both in day and night mode.
How people could claim the display with e-ink on Kindle and the like is better to the eyes, I cannot understand. I read in bed yesterday, almost two hours, and no stress to the eyes, just more clarity in letters' contours. Phantastic.

Think I will use this new toy for much, much more than just the originally intended purpose!

And to test the hardware, I got myself NFS Most Wanted. Just to see and then know. It runs super-smooth and shows how much performance reserves there are. Have not expected this, it indeed is fun for a short adrenaline rush in between. Got a free Pinball table as well, also with surprising graphics and handling, Zen-something.
Old 06-19-13, 10:17 AM   #2
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Regarding android security, you shouldn't require any antivirus software. Its simple really, only get your apps from the google play store, and you should be fine. Google continuously monitors the play store for malware, and they remove it asap

Quote:
Prevent. Apps in Google Play are scanned continuously to block harmful apps and policy violators.

Yes, its true, a harmful app slips through once or twice, but in my opinion, if you aren't into piracy or homebrew, it isn't a big risk. Also, I really can't recommend an AV on android, they simply don't "provide enough value" to be worth the money and system resources. Antivirus software is probably the no. 1 battery killer on Android. I don't run security software on my Motorola, and its fine.

as for how multitasking on Android works, read this: http://www.extremetech.com/computing...roid-and-ios/2

Yes, its true. All of the experts I can find recommend that you don't use a task manager and get Android to manage it for you. But than, personally, I find that when I do that, my device lags a lot. Motorola includes a task killer on their phones, does Samsung do that? If they do, use the built in one, it probably has the lease side effects.

As for what "Root" is, think about it as the Linux version of Window's "administrator". Google does not intend for the average user to have the privileges to make certain changes to their device, and thus, does not give you root privileges. Rooting your device gives you these privileges, but voids your warranty, so I recommend against it.

Micro SD cards are not fast enough for most apps, so its not really a good idea to install apps on there as long as you still have enough space on your tablet. If you are running out, move your music and photos over to the storage card.
Old 06-19-13, 10:24 AM   #3
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I learned about the first letdown today, that is that android mobiles do not allow apps to get installed on an external memory card, and that that second card is just for data, not for apps.
Go to Settings, Applications, select the App and click on the button that says (in English, at least) Move to SD Card.

Once it's on the card the option changes to Move to Phone - don't know about a tablet.
Old 06-19-13, 11:14 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Go to Settings, Applications, select the App and click on the button that says (in English, at least) Move to SD Card.

Once it's on the card the option changes to Move to Phone - don't know about a tablet.
Will try that once the card has arrived. So far, under the path you mentioned (Einstellungen/Anwendungsmanager) there is no such button (greyed out or not) existent.
Old 06-19-13, 11:22 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

And then there was me, stumbling over this trailer and having some real good laughs.

People seem to like it.

And Abalone, my most favourite game beside chess, I also found, in a nice 3D rendering and with the option to use alternative opening patterns. Got it for sure, cannot comment on the AI so far.
Old 06-19-13, 01:05 PM   #6
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Quote:
I almost forgot, the most important question at the end: any must-have games out there?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ll.javaProject

Lots of fun and works great on tablets.

Welcome to the world of the evil tablets.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 05:47 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Their tables look good, but I question the ball physics, they are not convincing and far too fast-moving.

I got this one as a free table, and the ball handling feels much better.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...VuUGluYmFsbCJd

Visuals can be set to "improved" in the menu, and some. Try different cameras.
Old 06-19-13, 05:43 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post

I still have no card and could not test it - but EVERYBODY seems to say that what you suggest does not work, that the 10.1 Note by default does not move apps from internal to external memory card.

May I ask where you got your info? Do you suggest it by theoretic idea only, or do you have experience with the Note 10.1 and have done it like that?

Or are we talking about two different things that I am just not aware of?
Old 06-20-13, 02:59 AM   #9
the_tyrant
Admiral

Quote:
I still have no card and could not test it - but EVERYBODY seems to say that what you suggest does not work, that the 10.1 Note by default does not move apps from internal to external memory card.

May I ask where you got your info? Do you suggest it by theoretic idea only, or do you have experience with the Note 10.1 and have done it like that?

Welcome to the world of Android. Remember, the different manufacturers modify android to their liking, so your Samsung is different than my Motorola in many key aspects, and our devices are different than an HTC, LG, or Asus device. This might simply be a feature that Samsung doesn't support

You can try flashing a custom rom, but the note with its active digitizer makes it slightly harder to find a good custom rom.
Old 06-20-13, 04:51 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

I had read about the rooting procedure and the reflashing - technical articles of which I cannot claim to have really understood the implications, so there is too huge margin for something stupid that I could do by fault, and I will not take that risk. I improvised with limited starter knowledge on some computer things in past years, but here I see that I simply understood too little as if the risks can be confidently seen as "managable".

Is there any way in which I could ban app getting started by default when booting the tab? First thing I do is using the widget that lists running applications, and usually there is alredy Google Music or Goole-something running - I have not even mnaually used this so far. So I use the "all" option to shut apps down, then I use the RAM Manager, which after booting typically lists 570-600 MB used, and delete the memory there, too: and there comes the message that 50+ (!) apps have been shut down, and the RAM drops to 470-500 MB. Where can I tune the installed apps and mark them as starting when booting, or staying switched off until being called up by the user?

And is there any setting where I could rule that all apps I leave again, will shut down instead of running on in the background?

Some of the design features in Android really leave my with a risen left eyebrow.

I nevertheless tried again with Opera, this time "mobile". It is only slightly faster, but at least the synchronization with the bookmarks from my PC worked. However, selecting them by the menu is a multi-click festival. Two questions. When accessing the device via PC (USB cable), and scanning the folder structure, where are the bookmarks stored and could be manually altered? Second, is there any way in this or any other browser to make surfing a more enjoyable experience and bookmarks accessible in a comfortable, easier way.

The Google browser is fast, yes, but I have no love for how it handles. I just don't get it, it seems.
Old 06-20-13, 04:03 PM   #11
the_tyrant
Admiral

Quote:
I had read about the rooting procedure and the reflashing - technical articles of which I cannot claim to have really understood the implications, so there is too huge margin for something stupid that I could do by fault, and I will not take that risk. I improvised with limited starter knowledge on some computer things in past years, but here I see that I simply understood too little as if the risks can be confidently seen as "managable".

Is there any way in which I could ban app getting started by default when booting the tab? First thing I do is using the widget that lists running applications, and usually there is alredy Google Music or Goole-something running - I have not even mnaually used this so far. So I use the "all" option to shut apps down, then I use the RAM Manager, which after booting typically lists 570-600 MB used, and delete the memory there, too: and there comes the message that 50+ (!) apps have been shut down, and the RAM drops to 470-500 MB. Where can I tune the installed apps and mark them as starting when booting, or staying switched off until being called up by the user?

And is there any setting where I could rule that all apps I leave again, will shut down instead of running on in the background?

Some of the design features in Android really leave my with a risen left eyebrow.

I nevertheless tried again with Opera, this time "mobile". It is only slightly faster, but at least the synchronization with the bookmarks from my PC worked. However, selecting them by the menu is a multi-click festival. Two questions. When accessing the device via PC (USB cable), and scanning the folder structure, where are the bookmarks stored and could be manually altered? Second, is there any way in this or any other browser to make surfing a more enjoyable experience and bookmarks accessible in a comfortable, easier way.

The Google browser is fast, yes, but I have no love for how it handles. I just don't get it, it seems.
I don't think you can stop many of the default apps from starting unfortunately on a factory without rooting your phone. This thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...-starting.html has some suggestions however.

But always remember, many OEM applications and Google applications and carrier applications (though I believe your tablet doesn't have a data connection? This is probably not an issue) cannot be "banned" from starting. After all, where will they mine your personal info and sell it (just pulling your leg here, I'm almost 100% sure that Samsung or google or t-mobile doesn't sell your data, they have mine after all).

As for the browser, if you use chrome on a home computer, you can use chrome on your phone to sync everything. Other than the syncing, I find that the default android pack in browser is actually the best when it comes to performance (purely personal opinion, I don't have data to back it up).

When it comes to modifying folder structure and what not, I would recommend against it. It is pretty hard to figure out (I'm not even sure you can access certain folders from a PC to be honest), and it is way to easy to mess up.

When it comes to mobile stuff, these guys are who I usually go to: http://www.mobilenations.com/

PS: Skybird, if you want to use a good mobile OS, try Meego or WebOS. Unfortunately, both are effectively dead. I personally have a soft spot for WebOS. I would really recommend that if you are looking for a toy to pick up a WebOS device (you can probably find an HP Veer for under 100$, makes for a really good "semi smartphone"). WebOS is SO good, it makes android look like it was designed by a maniac, iOS look like it was designed by a monkey, and Windows Phone look like it was designed by a 3 year old. In fact, most of the good things in android only happened because Google hired the lead designed of WebOS.

Last edited by the_tyrant; 06-20-13 at 04:23 PM.
the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 06:27 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Well, Google has blocked my new Visacard after 5 or 5 minor sales, and when I asked where the security problem was that the generated error message referred to, they blocked the whole Wallet account instead of an explanation. No reply all day long so far.

Running into town, and checking with the bank. Card's alright, banks says. Return home, and have gotten a gmail - did I already mention that I hate gmail as well? - from not German but some international section of Google, in English, complaining (!) that I did not contact the German service, which as a matter of fact I did because the automatic confirmation that my first gmail was received, was coming from German Google.

I knew it. Was just a question of time before them and me start going after each other. I wish I would have more men with guns than they have servers.
Old 06-20-13, 06:50 AM   #13
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:

My info is from using my phone (SGSII), but having just read up a bit on it it seems the latest versions of Android no longer support moving apps to cards - I think it stems from too many complaints of moved apps not working correctly, but all mine are just dandy.

Hopefully there'll be a revision by Google.
Old 06-20-13, 09:16 AM   #14
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

From Zen I suggest Star Wars episode V.
Pinball Arcade is best there is , the physics is emulation of RL machines that are more challenging to play.
To solve your OS issues you better figure out the rooting method.
This way you may get fully customisable OS.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 08:46 PM   #15
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Quote:
The whole tech business displays a monumental amount of stupidity and ignorance on this "feature". Somebody should get spanked for that. Idiotic.
Point is, applications will always run smoother and faster from onboard storage rather than from a memory card. It also removes the problem of poor-quality memory cards that can wreck user experience. This is why phone and tablet manufacturers are moving away from expandable memory and simply increasing onboard storage.

Same goes for the task killer/momery cleaner programs. At this point Android does a good job of memory management and task management that ad-hoc task killing and Ram shuffling can actually increase processor workload and thus decrease battery life. Up until Android 2.4 (ish) a task killer was very necessary due to leaky RAM management, but not anymore.

I myself have been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab for about 18 months, aside from slightly frantic HD decoding I can't fault it.