SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-09, 07:38 PM   #1456
Capt.Warner
Lieutenant

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

I cant Wait to try out this modThanks Lurker

Capt.Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 01:59 PM   #1457
Dough13
Nub

Downloads: 109

This an awesome MOD...I never used MODs until about a month ago and I have been playing this series of games for years...the graphics you put in the Uboats are very well done. Quick question...

I noticed in the attack scope that the aft tubes are showing for selection, but the forward tubes aren't...did I mess something up in the install? I followed your instructions to the dot...I started a career in 1939 out of Germany...don't remember the model...
Dough13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 03:43 PM   #1458
OrangeYoshi
Gunner

Downloads: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dough13 View Post
I noticed in the attack scope that the aft tubes are showing for selection, but the forward tubes aren't...did I mess something up in the install? I followed your instructions to the dot...I started a career in 1939 out of Germany...don't remember the model...
IIRC one of the readmes for the OMEGU mentions that you will need to change the resolution to 1280 x 789 or better for the changes to the scopes to work properly. If you are still in the vanilla resolution, the fore tubes will be covered up in the UZO and ATK periscopes. I can't change my resolution from the default one, so I'm missing the fore tubes in the scope, but I can navigate the tubes using the W and Q keys.
Old 08-06-09, 03:55 PM   #1459
Dough13
Nub

Downloads: 109

Thanks...yeah...didn't look at the readme file thanks again
Dough13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 09:11 PM   #1460
walsh2509
XO

Downloads: 18
Default Torps Missing Target

This happened , I was sitting 800yrds from a 10,000 York Class Crusier , I am not playing Manual targetting , I am using the Pscope (L - lock key) I was locked on and when the icon turned Green I fired. I followed the torp in and it was heading for her midships. To my horror , It would have hit but I could not believe it when it sailed right on about 15ft below the ship.

I had the game saved before I took the shot , so I reloaded and lined up another shot. Again, I got a Green icon in my Pscope and fired. Again I followed the torp in , it was heading to strike just behind midships, and again to my horror, the torp sailed on under the ship again.

Now if I was setting up the shot manually, I could see the point of the 2 misses, but I am not skilled enough to use manual targetting.

I took this screen of the torp as it sailed under and away!

Anyone else seeing this with Om712
walsh2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 09:20 PM   #1461
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Even with auto targeting you have to manually set torpedo depth.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 10:48 PM   #1462
walsh2509
XO

Strange , because all the other merchants I've hit I've never set the depth, its usual defaulted about 15ft or just under the draft of the ship, a ship with an 18ft the torp will be about 16.5 and so on.

I had already sunk a York Cruiser without setting depth of torp just went with the default setting.
Old 08-06-09, 11:07 PM   #1463
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Location: Just out of sight... plotting your course and speed
Downloads: 371
Uploads: 1

How do you set torpedo depth in OM? I never even knew it was possible...

"If you sit by the river long enough... the body of your enemy will float by -- SunTzu"
Akula4745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 06:51 AM   #1464
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula4745 View Post
How do you set torpedo depth in OM? I never even knew it was possible...
Go to the attack map where you can set torpedo depth and speed, and set each torpedo for either impact or magnetic detonation.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 08:59 AM   #1465
walsh2509
XO

My 2 missed shots , I went back again to it and checked the depth of the torps. I picked tube 3, a York type cruiser has a depth of *15ft7 (i take it , it is ft) anyway, when I clicked on Tube 3 for both shots the Default depth setting for the torp was *13ft4 but they till went well under the ship.

* give or take a few inches!

I tried again and set a depth of about 7ft, the hole in the ship was mostly Under the keel, the hole was from centre line out and slightly up the side of the ship.

In the default game, I would check the depth of a ship , say 15ft, I would set the torp to 15ft and a couple of inches so the torp explodes under the ship ranther into the side of it.

The shots that went well under the York Type were default set at 13ft+, the shot that hit the ship, the damage was more under than in the side and that shot was half the depth of the ships depth ??
Old 08-07-09, 12:17 PM   #1466
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Location: Just out of sight... plotting your course and speed
Downloads: 371
Uploads: 1

Thanks TDK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
Go to the attack map where you can set torpedo depth and speed, and set each torpedo for either impact or magnetic detonation.

"If you sit by the river long enough... the body of your enemy will float by -- SunTzu"
Akula4745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 11:01 PM   #1467
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12
Default Q & A

The following is a response to a number of different posts over the last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsh2509 View Post
I was making my way back from a patrol off Lisbon, I got near the south coast of Ireland (11th Jan 1940) when I noticed that the Red ports of France were now Black (or Dark Blue). I took a closer look along the south coast of England and saw that some of the port there were now Black too orther where the same Red ports.

The other one I noticed, while Dublin was Black, Belfast which should have been Red was now Black too..
OM makes no changes to the Campaign.LOC file other than add some additional port for Norway and the Black Sea. Your issue is a “stock” problem not OM

Quote:
1. How fast should merchants turn ? stock game they were turning through the likes of 150,151,152,153 about 1pt every second, but not much slower in 712 where I counted it off at 1-2 seconds a point. Should it be slower than that?
I have no idea, I have never conducted this type of test

Quote:
2. How many shells to sink a merchant , coastal about 4,000tns I hit her decks with about 12 shots very close range. Her bridge,Funnel,Masts, and holds were on fire 6 -7 fires in all, from bow to stern. I also fired in about 25 shells into her water line, but still she sailed on. In fact I got that close when she dipped at the bow her prop and rudder were exposed, I fired 4-5 shot in there at point blanks range. I take it HE shells do no damage to this part of ships?
Let the AI gunners do the shooting and tell them to aim for the water line, then it will take any where from 25 to 40 rounds on “average” to sink a merchant. FYI the damage model used is from RFB and was develop by “Observer”. If you wish to learn more about it you need to download this,

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=429

and go to the section on the damage model and learn how it works.

Quote:
oh one more, on missions in 712 I sail out of WH but that is now 4 patrols in a row I have been sent to station of the coast of Portugal, Sept through Jan40 just set off again Feb40 and I have been sent back there again. I completed all the mission and so far I have sunk 60,000+tns, 11 mechants my last partol for 44,000+tns. The thing is , on my voyage to Portugal, round the North of Scotalnd and down the coast of Ireland all the merchants I have come across in 712 have been on there own, not one convoy have I came across. All the sightings that appear on the map and I plot to intercept, in all 4 missions they have been single ships.
I assume that your using a Type IX U-boat, in which case, base on the historical records, you patrol area from war start until Operation Weserübung, is the north coast of Portugal to the Straits of Gibraltar.

Shipping levels for the areas around the UK are “as designed”

Quote:
Quick Q? on OM712 , when I torp ships now there is the explosion and water plume, but no after explosions as with the stock version. Some times a little fire and the ship sails on, is that part of the mod?
As stated before the results you’re seeing are based on the damage model

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYoshi View Post
I know that IN RSRDC you have many differect kinds of mission. You have the general anti-shipping missions, you have the recon missions, the spy/commando missions, and the missions which make you dock at certain places and then continue. I like the missions very much.

What I would like to know is if you have included any such missions in OM. They help to break up the boredom that can come with constant patrol missions.
First, there were a limited number of real world “SpecOps” mission conducted by U-boats, but the main reason you won’t see them is because of a “bug” that cause the system to CTD when attempting to launch spy/commando missions from a U-Boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antar View Post
That is correct Regia Marina is not available?
Of course I think about f.e. BB Littorio class not only DD Soldati
There are a number of very good 3d models for all units in the “Regia Marina” (BB, CA, CL, etc) that have been created for SH3 , however for reason I do not wish to get into, I am unable to use those ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antar View Post
I tried to create mission with Vichy France ships (at 1942).
Unfortunately "Vichy France" (Occupied France) is allied side and should be axis...
When you create a unit in a mission file, you most ensure that the “creation date” and the “cfg date” are within the start / end dates for the country in question. Also you “must” ensure you check the “evolve from creation date” box. Failure to do so will cause the mission editor to generate an incorrect “side” setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xristoskaiti View Post
travelled outside from a harbour of France in-depth 35m roughly and I
accepted suddenly air depth with result the destruction of my
submarine......
my problem of they is not sensors planes other the force air depth....
they is historical realistic for English air depth causing destruction
submarine in this depth??
From the “readme” in the first post of this thread

Added the airborne version of the Hedgehog Depth Bomb used on “MAD” equipped PBY5A’s.

Added “MAD” airborne sensor (modified “visual” sensor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dough13 View Post
Thanks...yeah...didn't look at the readme file thanks again

Quote:
This happened , I was sitting 800yrds from a 10,000 York Class Crusier , I am not playing Manual targetting , I am using the Pscope (L - lock key) I was locked on and when the icon turned Green I fired. I followed the torp in and it was heading for her midships. To my horror , It would have hit but I could not believe it when it sailed right on about 15ft below the ship.

And

My 2 missed shots , I went back again to it and checked the depth of the torps. I picked tube 3, a York type cruiser has a depth of *15ft7 (i take it , it is ft) anyway, when I clicked on Tube 3 for both shots the Default depth setting for the torp was *13ft4 but they till went well under the ship.

* give or take a few inches!

I tried again and set a depth of about 7ft, the hole in the ship was mostly Under the keel, the hole was from centre line out and slightly up the side of the ship.

In the default game, I would check the depth of a ship , say 15ft, I would set the torp to 15ft and a couple of inches so the torp explodes under the ship ranther into the side of it.

The shots that went well under the York Type were default set at 13ft+, the shot that hit the ship, the damage was more under than in the side and that shot was half the depth of the ships depth ??
First, there is no “York Class” cruiser in OM; however there are the Kent CA, and the C/D CL’s. All I ask of people when the have a “comment / compliant" is to provide the following information:

Date
Flotilla assigned
Type of weapon used (Torpedo Type / Gun Type)

Since you have not done that, I am unable to recreate your problem, Of note if this was a Type G7a before 2/9/42 then your weapon will have a 40 percent chance of a “depth keeping” problem, which is historical accurate.

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 08-08-09 at 06:42 PM.
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 12:03 PM   #1468
walsh2509
XO

thanks for your time in replying to my Q's , when I thought about the torp depth one, in the back of my mind I thought it might be a problem with early torps.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-09, 12:33 PM   #1469
Rene
Sailor man

Downloads: 40

hi together
i ask you a littel question.
how could i add flags to the submarines? i like them with flags.
or could anyone add them?
the ones in sh3 were beautiful.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 03:47 PM   #1470
csengoi
A-ganger

Downloads: 12

Hi,
I'm starting to play the game again, and have a question:
when the hydrophone is manned and I sit there myself, the crewmember is in my sight, and I can't see it normally. Is there any solution to this? (Type IIC)
csengoi is offline   Reply With Quote