SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-07, 08:36 PM   #151
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Coming soon to a theater near you

The creation of said file is an admission of defeat i think.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 08:53 PM   #152
shad43
Frogman

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
Coming soon to a theater near you

The creation of said file is an admission of defeat i think.
hey you gave it a shot

of course if you proceed with the evil SJ plan you might consider that SD upgrade
packs will need to go bye bye and SJ will need to be made available from the wars start. (but you know this of course)

All in all doing this may simplify the radars use enough that everyone will be happy.
Radar will be available to all boats, both scopes will work as expected, it can be turned off, it will only sweep when you tell it to...sounds good to me

Im not enough of a historical purist that defining the difference between the two radars matters, its enough that I could find suface targets for attacks and avoid getting bombed by aircraft.
shad43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 09:57 PM   #153
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
of course if you proceed with the evil SJ plan you might consider that SD upgrade
packs will need to go bye bye and SJ will need to be made available from the wars start. (but you know this of course)
Already made SJ avialable at war start. SD packs don't need to go bye bye really. No reason you can't have both radars, its just that the SD radar wont detect anything. Doing it this way saves time and effort, and leaves the door open incase the SD radar does get fixed. In the event that it does, all i have to do is replace a single file, and not the multiple files it would take to remove the SD.

On a related note, in terms of gameplay, i acutally like it better this way. By just increasing the max height from 80 to 5000 (along with directional bearing tweaks), while the radar can detect everything, im theorizing that you'll detect aircraft at more varying ranges, which to me makes things more interesting. Gameplay wise, it might acutally be an improvement when you consider it makes getting in and out of port easier.

I have to say though, its a shame i couldnt get RWR working. THat would have been awesome. Because it woudlnt have detected ships (unless they have radar which they dont tell the end of the war), and you could have acutally created a seperate message notification in the menu.txt. IE, change "radar signals detected" to "SD contact!" Pity. Im also starting to pity those guys trying to make SH4 into another damn uboat game. They have so many little things to deal with to restore functionality from SH3, its not even funny. Some of which might not even be possible... RWR for instance if the funtionality ws replaced in the game code. Lots of luck to em. lol
Old 04-22-07, 10:54 PM   #154
shad43
Frogman

Quote:
Already made SJ avialable at war start. SD packs don't need to go bye bye really. No reason you can't have both radars, its just that the SD radar wont detect anything. Doing it this way saves time and effort, and leaves the door open incase the SD radar does get fixed. In the event that it does, all i have to do is replace a single file, and not the multiple files it would take to remove the SD.
Of course this works ^...but putting together a stand alone mod would be pretty easy.
It might be nice if there were no distinction between the types, just plain ole radar...by completely removing the sd it would make things a lot less confusing.
Could make the name displayable of sj to Radar and sj1 to Adv Radar, I know its alot of editing but its just a thought...would do it myself if I knew what to tweak in the sj to detect planes (might do it for myself anyway)

Just thinking outloud...
Old 04-22-07, 11:20 PM   #155
akdavis
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad43
Quote:
Of course this works ^...but putting together a stand alone mod would be pretty easy.
It might be nice if there were no distinction between the types, just plain ole radar...by completely removing the sd it would make things a lot less confusing.
Could make the name displayable of sj to Radar and sj1 to Adv Radar, I know its alot of editing but its just a thought...would do it myself if I knew what to tweak in the sj to detect planes (might do it for myself anyway)

Just thinking outloud...
Well, on the output side, I don't think there was any distinction built into the engine. Contacts, map contacts, and the SJ radar displays all take in the radar data as if it is from one sensor. Thus we end up with a PPI radar display in 1942 that also shows aerial contacts in detail.
Old 04-22-07, 11:49 PM   #156
shad43
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad43
Quote:

Just thinking outloud...
Well, on the output side, I don't think there was any distinction built into the engine. Contacts, map contacts, and the SJ radar displays all take in the radar data as if it is from one sensor. Thus we end up with a PPI radar display in 1942 that also shows aerial contacts in detail.
My thoughts exactly...so why even have sd? do this at least until the dev's fix it, if they ever do.

I've been messing with this, what a mess...it seems that you cant entirely remove the sd just render it useless, which I dont like...I may just return to the .sim file for v1.1 and call it good until a proper fix comes along.

Last edited by shad43; 04-23-07 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-23-07, 01:31 AM   #157
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

hey guys if you do make a mod or if the devs fix it since I'm playing with no map updates, If I get an SD contact I need the text to say "SD radar contact" to let me know it's a plane instead of just radar contact.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 02:19 AM   #158
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaledges
hey guys if you do make a mod or if the devs fix it since I'm playing with no map updates, If I get an SD contact I need the text to say "SD radar contact" to let me know it's a plane instead of just radar contact.
Thats impossible to do without either:

A.) Getting rid of bearing feedback on SJ radar
or
b.) Getting SD radar to function as a radar warning detector and equiping all planes with a 6KM max radius radar.

The inheirant problem being both radars share the same informational feedback. The only way to seperate SD radar is to make it function differently from normal radar.
Old 04-23-07, 04:42 AM   #159
kakemann
Samurai Navy

Location: Pretty close to the big german cruiser Blücher in Norway
Downloads: 29

Ducimus,

Du you have a copy of a finished tweaked file with only the SJ radar working? I have a previous file downloaded from this thread but it picks up contacts too musch. It's just annoying!

Thanks anyway!
kakemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 05:36 AM   #160
Redwine
Sea Lord

Downloads: 9

Quote:
I did a little testing of my own and as usual came up with nothing conclusive.

A couple observations:

Quote:
ElevationMin =0
ElevationMax=360
I noticed alot of SH3 radars constructed simularly. Infact, id encourge anyone to examine SH3's radar's for a point of comparision since they're a known entity. Anyway, improving this to encompass all 360 degrees seems to eliminate any chance of a blind spot based on direction of travel and nothing else. I left my files at 359/181, to be safe, but if theres any harm in changing it to 0/360 im not seeing it.
I did that initially, to be sure to catch contacts, but i was reducing it, later i test 0-181, and 359-181.

The only problem with 0-360 may be ... we will pick up subs. MinHeight must to avoid it, but nothing seems to works normally into this file.

Quote:
Another thign i noticed was that after decreasing the MinSensorHeight from 0.2 to 0, a MinHeight change from 8.3 to 9 was still able to pick up aircraft on a Gato. If i remember correctly, before, 9M min height broke air contacts. Hence the 8.3 settings. Increasing it past 9, it no longer worked. I had a halfassed idea to try a minSensorheight of -0.2 and increasing the min height to 10, just to see if it would work. Probably would, but we'd be back to the same problem as before. But, its as if this sucker is acting as an umbrella, with the minSensorHeight being the very bottom edge of that umprella.
The way how reacts the game to this setting is really strnage. I will maintain you 8,3, i remember you wrote before at 8,4 you have not thusted contacts.

Quote:
Changing SD to RWR.
Ive tried again, twice, two different ways. Not working.
I dont like too much the idea of mount radars on planes to ba abkle to have a RWR.

Here the last tweaked files status i am testing for if some body need it.

http://files.filefront.com/Radar_Fix.../fileinfo.html

Last edited by Redwine; 04-23-07 at 05:57 AM.
Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 06:47 AM   #161
joea
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 25

This is one things that must be fixed by UBI if this is to retain the image of a sim. SH3 got get away without it cause radar on u-boats was not as important...but for the US boats it is vital !!! Mod workarounds will not do.
joea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 06:49 AM   #162
ref
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwine
Well here the settings i arrive up to the present time...

Hi Red, I think the problem with the radar not picking aircraft could be much simpler then that, I haven't played SH4 much, but a very important value everyone seems to be ignoring is surface (minimum square meters surface the radar will pick up), most planes don't have a surface of 100 m2., have you tryed reducing this value?, the ranges couldn't be that wrong if the original was picking ships at the published values, and the only thing that changed from 1.1 to 1.2 is the minheight.

Ref
Old 04-23-07, 07:24 AM   #163
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref
Hi Red, I think the problem with the radar not picking aircraft could be much simpler then that, I haven't played SH4 much, but a very important value everyone seems to be ignoring is surface (minimum square meters surface the radar will pick up), most planes don't have a surface of 100 m2., have you tryed reducing this value?, the ranges couldn't be that wrong if the original was picking ships at the published values, and the only thing that changed from 1.1 to 1.2 is the minheight.

Ref
If not remember bad i tryed with lower values like 8, 10... but prior to discover the minheight beyond 180 brings back lossed contacts.

I will try a new time now.

The matter is it must not detect ships by angle, and it doesnt works, but if we can found a surface tweak will be good anyway.
Old 04-23-07, 07:37 AM   #164
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref

Ref
If not remember bad i tryed with lower values like 8, 10... but prior to discover the minheight beyond 180 brings back lossed contacts.

The matter is it must not detect ships by angle, and it doesnt works, but if we can found a surface tweak will be good anyway.

Tested a new time... with a value of 30 and the radar still picking up big ships.

Well... stll on job !
Old 04-23-07, 08:28 AM   #165
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref

Ref

Tested a new time... with a value of 30 and the radar still picking up big ships.

Well... stll on job !
Tested with a value of 10 instead 100....

Ships, small and bigs, stiull detected by early SD.

Planes, issues appears, in example, some of them seems to be not detected.

The Probability of this early SD is 85% , may be this has some influence, but 3 sucesive waves of G4M Betty, H6K, and AM6 Zeros, was not detected and pop-up at sighth range.

I will back to 100 and test a new time.

Aparently, this value should be a minimun surface to detect, if you put there 100000 nothing must to appears into the radar, but nothing works as predictable in this files...

Aparently it must be useful into SJ to prevent them to detect samll contacts as planes or life boats, but not sure.

Here into SD we need a Max surface limit....

Stll testing.