SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-16, 05:00 AM   #1
FightingSteel1
Bosun

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0
Default "Sound" research for my scale Bismarck

Hi,

I thought this might be a good place to ask a couple of "sound" questions about the KMS Bismarck. I'm working on a functioning model of the battleship right now, and I've acquired some parts to make a sound module for the vessel.

I was going to definitely model the sounds of the 15" guns, and possibly a mix of the secondary armament/AA guns. Beyond that, I'm not sure what other scale sounds the ship would make.

I thought about engine sounds, but I doubt you could actually hear that. I saw something from a crewmember of the ship that said he couldn't even hear the engines from his post a couple of decks away.

So, anything else I could model? Would it make any sense to model a fog horn or bell sound? Did the Kriegsmarine use an audible "general quarters" alarm or anything that could be heard from a scale distance away, or should I just stick to gun sounds?
FightingSteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 07:43 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default HELLS BELLS...a siren and a loudspeaker

Quote:
The Admiral ordered to give the alarm, the eerie sound of the bells brought every man to his battle station. A signal went to the Prinz Eugen to open fire as soon as the proper distance was reached. Captain Lindemann, looking through his binoculars suddenly said "These are no cruisers. It's the Hood, it's the Hood! The second looks like a battleship also!", his words drowned out by the thunder of the first salvo of the Bismarck's mighty guns. The Admiral excitedly shouted "We need a hit, a hit." The firing continued and the Admiral watched. Then he said: "Look, she is hit." They saw large black smoke shooting into the air from the Hood. Several clouds of black smoke flew upwards as Captain Lindemann watched in disbelief as the ship broke apart, with the middle part disappearing into the sea. When the smoke lifted, nothing more was seen of the Hood, absolutely nothing.
http://nevermore.tripod.com/bismarck.html
Quote:
I awoke on Saturday morning about 0500 hours A.M. as it was being announced via the loudspeaker system that 2 battleships and 2 cruisers were coming into sight. Simultaneously, the alarm sounded. After a few minutes the enemy opened fire. Shortly thereafter, "Bismarck" answered the fire.
http://www.kbismarck.com/archives/debriefing6.html
Quote:
Just as he was saying what an honor it was for him to award the Ritterkreuz with swords and diamonds to Captain Lindemann, the sirens wailed. "Alarm, alarm, enemy planes approaching." The anti-aircraft guns were firing before the Admiral and the Captain reached the bridge. They counted nine aircraft, type Swordfish. The Captain realized that the carrier must be near by. One small torpedo had caused some leakage, but no one was injured. The Admiral followed the Captain to the map room, where they argued over...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 07:50 PM   #3
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

My Bismarck would sound like Johnny Horton
Old 04-16-16, 09:11 PM   #4
FightingSteel1
Bosun

Downloads: 60

Do you think that bell/alarms sounds would resonate outside the ship, or something that wouldn't really carry past the interior halls/rooms and the AA gunners. I just wonder if that would be something that would be heard a few scale feet away? I know in movies you always hear that "whoop whoop" naval alarm, and Silent Hunter's ships can be heard from a distance during an attack, but I wonder how real that is.

Anyone know what kind of sound the Kriegsmarine used for an alarm?
FightingSteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-16, 07:04 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

See 1:21:50

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-16, 10:11 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingSteel1 View Post
"whoop whoop" naval alarm
Just an extra piece of information: That particular sound is the collision alarm, sounded when expecting to ram, or be rammed, or...

One lovely day our destroyer was having a towing practice, we were setting up to tow another DD, and they sounded the collision alarm, you know, just in case...

Old 04-17-16, 03:07 PM   #7
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

the drone and whine of powerful fan motors and air rushing through exhaust and intake vents. if its like other ships it probably had lots of them. When I think about it was probably the most prevelant, common sound I heard when I was milling about the weatherdecks.

sound Im talking about starts around 0:23 through :40 something

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-17-16 at 03:40 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-16, 04:29 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

ANOTHER INTERESTING PASSAGE: INVOLVING THE MINISUB ATTACK ON TIRPITZ IN THE FJORD:
Quote:
On board Tirpitz the day had begun much as usual. At 0500 the hydrophone listening watch had been secured and maintenance on the sets had been started when at 0707 an object was briefly sighted but mistaken for a porpoise and disregarded: it was X-6 running aground inside the A/T net. At 0712 X-6 was correctly identified when she again broke surface some 68 meter (75 yards) off the port beam (a note in Tirpitz's log states that times between 0710 and 0730 are inaccurate) and the power boat was manned at the gangway. At the same time the alarm was raised throughout the battleship by the alarm bell.

A certain amount of confusion seems to have arisen here by the misuse of the alarm bell. Instead of the correct number of rings for "submarine danger" the bell was rung for "'close water-tight doors", so that the actual threat to Tirpitz was unknown to most of her ship's company. The anti-aircraft armament was manned but X-6 was too close to the battleship and her attendant craft to allow them to open fire
I cannot imagine that Bismark's sistership would have different bell system alarms. On the occasion of the Airraid that capsized the Tirpitz:
Quote:
At 8.30 on the morning of 12 November 1944, the gun crews and lookouts on the decks of the battleship Tirpitz stood at their action stations staring intently into the eastern sky. It was a crisp, clear day. The sunlight sparkled on the waters of the Norwegian fjord where they lay anchored in a bowl of snow-smudged hills. A few minutes before there had been a clamour of bells and blaring loudspeakers as an air raid warning was announced.
The bells might be similar to D-day german bunker two-gong alarm bells:
shown twice early in the propaganda film but I can't make out the manufacture name on the upper element...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote