SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-10, 10:43 PM   #1
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0
Default 1/350 Lindberg Bismarck model made by SH427

Pictures here

I know I broke one of the cardinal laws of modeling when I left the hull the color it was molded in. In my honest opinion though, I think it came out excellent.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 11:27 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Not bad looking. I kinda did the same thing with my USS Lionfish model I had. Painted waterline down black and left most of the rest gray. That your first model or have you done others too?

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 12:13 AM   #3
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0

plenty others. the description on the first picture shows I have a history with this particular kit. But I have built quite a few (mostly ships, I even have a lionfish model too haha) but I only built them just to build them, I've been getting more into painting and weathering and historical accuracy in the last couple years though. I feel far more accomplished.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 04:46 AM   #4
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Kind of messy but that means there's plenty of room to improve upon. My Bismarck is not much better either though I hadn't taken the hobby seriously enough yet then.

But kit modeling is all about the fun of building it and enjoying your work after. So if you had plenty fun building it and enjoy your finish work you're doing great.

I find kit building therapeutic. Good for the soul and mind. Next to serial killing your enemies lol

I suggest that you try to spray paint the model kit with appropriate color with model kit spray cans and practice on smaller scale models. When you get the hang of it make a major project of a big model that you really like and put in the practiced skills and commitment. You'll end up with a model worthy to be displayed in the living room for all to see. But make sure you encased it either in glass or acrylic display case.

My first serious attempt at large model:

I've since added substantial make up to her which includes soot on diesel exhausts, matting the lower hull and extensive weathering on deck(white) and hull(white-an invasion of tiny white spots really tiny white spots to mimic hull abrasion by salty water current and flow) and intense tiny white splotches band forming a sort of line along the bulge on upper upper lower hull next to the bulge free flooding vents, all to give an impression of prolong sea operation or salt abrasion with the hull from waves and vents flow(weathering done with special weathering powder mixed with water). I'm very happy with the current looks compared to the original one(above) which I think was somewhat lacking.

Last edited by Castout; 01-04-10 at 07:17 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model