SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-22, 10:40 PM   #1
Steve_i400
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Enemy task forces disappearing, Impossible to intercept task force!

Hello! I've been playing a lot of lately GWX silent hunter 3 and have found what appears to be a bug. I get these "enemy task force" reports that are going 8 knots (they most often follow this route drawn on the map, not always though).
However whenever I try to intercept them, they seem to vanish before my hydrophone is able to pick them up. I've tried to intercept them about 20 times now and I'm 100% sure they are disappearing when they get within the game "rendering" range. (to cut the long story short I'm 100% confident in my ability to intercept a convoy going 8 knots, I've done it over 50 times now), but for some reason ALL enemy task forces seem to disappear before I get in contact. *friendly task forces don't dissapear, I'm able to intercept them just fine
I can't be the only one with this issue, has anyone else noticed it's impossible to intercept enemy task forces?

Has anyone ever even managed to intercept a taskforce?

Is there any known fix?

*I tried reinstalling the game and am currently playing on a fresh GWX download with the ARB wide GUI mod, that's all

Thanks in advance for any help or replies!
Steve_i400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 11:13 PM   #2
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_i400 View Post

Hello! I've been playing a lot of lately GWX silent hunter 3 and have found what appears to be a bug. I get these "enemy task force" reports that are going 8 knots (they most often follow this route drawn on the map, not always though).
However whenever I try to intercept them, they seem to vanish before my hydrophone is able to pick them up. I've tried to intercept them about 20 times now and I'm 100% sure they are disappearing when they get within the game "rendering" range. (to cut the long story short I'm 100% confident in my ability to intercept a convoy going 8 knots, I've done it over 50 times now), but for some reason ALL enemy task forces seem to disappear before I get in contact. *friendly task forces don't dissapear, I'm able to intercept them just fine
I can't be the only one with this issue, has anyone else noticed it's impossible to intercept enemy task forces?

Has anyone ever even managed to intercept a taskforce?

Is there any known fix?

*I tried reinstalling the game and am currently playing on a fresh GWX download with the ARB wide GUI mod, that's all

Thanks in advance for any help or replies!
I'll ask our campaign doctor to take a look at them in relation to our next release. (GWX - Knight's Cross edition)

Generally, as I recall without looking, task forces in GWX truck along at rather high speeds to make them difficult to be intercepted by U-boats, and to make torpedo firing solutions difficult. Task forces can certainly scoot down the road much more quickly than merchant convoys. Eight knots actually seems really slow for a task force to me... less than half speed actually.

I don't recall offhand, if they make random zigzags along their plotted courses, as merchant convoys do.

They do not disappear just because you get close in GWX. They do disappear at the end of their programmed sortie.

If you did not get a marking on your navigation map showing their general position at the time of the report, then you received a radio message that is only there for the sake of 'atmosphere' and to help make it feel like you aren't the only U-boat out there on the water.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 06:34 AM   #3
Steve_i400
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
I'll ask our campaign doctor to take a look at them in relation to our next release. (GWX - Knight's Cross edition)

Generally, as I recall without looking, task forces in GWX truck along at rather high speeds to make them difficult to be intercepted by U-boats, and to make torpedo firing solutions difficult. Task forces can certainly scoot down the road much more quickly than merchant convoys. Eight knots actually seems really slow for a task force to me... less than half speed actually.

I don't recall offhand, if they make random zigzags along their plotted courses, as merchant convoys do.

They do not disappear just because you get close in GWX. They do disappear at the end of their programmed sortie.

If you did not get a marking on your navigation map showing their general position at the time of the report, then you received a radio message that is only there for the sake of 'atmosphere' and to help make it feel like you aren't the only U-boat out there on the water.
First of all thank you for this amazing project, I didn't expect you'd respond! Now that I know a new GWX is being developed I might want to add some more details to this potential bug report;

The radio report is 100% real because it shows up on the map as a large task force icon and has a "medium" speed, it also updates every few hours so I was able to calculate it's speed by looking at how far it's moved since the last update and I got a speed of 7.999 knots, so that confirms that they do indeed go 8 knots

As for them disappearing because they reached the end of their path that is not possible because I tried intercepting them in many different places.

In fact no other large enemy task forces seem to be spawning for me except these large 8 knot ghost task forces that I am unable to intercept. (I played through the career 1939-mid1941)
Small destroyer task forces do spawn normally.

Also I should add that this task force moves down the coast and updates every few hours but when I try to intercept it and it "disappears", it stops updating the radio report (it disappears and is no longer updated every few hours) This leads me to believe that it does in fact disappear.
Old 08-23-22, 06:18 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Where are you when they disappear? Can you point that out on the map? Where are you when you start your intercept, and how far does it take you to get to them? As it is normal that they disappear when it reaches Harwic/Southend region. I would hope you reach them much earlier up north of this path.
Old 08-23-22, 11:02 AM   #5
Hooston
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 15

I also noticed this task force and failed to intercept it, although I wasn't trying very hard.
I looked at the GWX campaign in the SH3 editor and couldn't find any scripted task forces in the relevant time/place. There are lots of random convoys, small groups of ships and single merchants going along that sort of route around that time, usually at 8 knots.
Could be that someone in GWX team defined a random group and a route but failed to put any ships in it. Easily done and hard to debug with the available tools. Or could be a problem in the basic game. Put it down to Winston Churchill spreading misinformation - the task group that never was..

While using the SH3 editor go see how many mines those nasty GWX people scattered off the East Coast and ask yourself if you really should be going there.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 10:54 AM   #6
Steve_i400
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Where are you when they disappear? Can you point that out on the map? Where are you when you start your intercept, and how far does it take you to get to them? As it is normal that they disappear when it reaches Harwic/Southend region. I would hope you reach them much earlier up north of this path.
Well, it depends on where I intercept them, so they disappear whenever I get close to them. I've intercepted them in many places from just south of Scapa Flow to just outside of London, they always disappear about 30km away from my submarine (the radio report stops updating and they don't show up on hydrophone). I believe the user Hooston posted the most likely explanation in the replies, there may not be any task force files for the early part of the war so nothing shows up ingame.
Old 08-24-22, 10:56 AM   #7
Steve_i400
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston View Post
I also noticed this task force and failed to intercept it, although I wasn't trying very hard.
I looked at the GWX campaign in the SH3 editor and couldn't find any scripted task forces in the relevant time/place. There are lots of random convoys, small groups of ships and single merchants going along that sort of route around that time, usually at 8 knots.
Could be that someone in GWX team defined a random group and a route but failed to put any ships in it. Easily done and hard to debug with the available tools. Or could be a problem in the basic game. Put it down to Winston Churchill spreading misinformation - the task group that never was..

While using the SH3 editor go see how many mines those nasty GWX people scattered off the East Coast and ask yourself if you really should be going there.
This explanation makes perfect sense, thanks for checking it out!
And yea about the mines, I was running away from a destroyer once and decided to peek through the pericope to see if it was above me only to discover I was surrounded by mines, spooky stuff!
Old 08-24-22, 01:26 PM   #8
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston View Post
Could be that someone in GWX team defined a random group and a route but failed to put any ships in it.
LOL. Nice idea, thank you!
Have you tried this yourself? How does it work for you?

set No= to 0
Will spawn one,

set No= to -1
will spawn one,

set SpawnProbability= to 0
will spawn one,

delete entries below MainEntry ([RndGroup X.RndUnit X])
will crash in-game when Group should spawn,

delete also this MainEntry
will crash the game onLoad CampaignMission.

For me your idea does not work.

Steve_i400
I have checked more or less all Main-BigMods Campaign-files including GWX v3.0 also known as "Gold", but have not found such crap.

Also i can not remember that i ever found a TaskForce sailing that slow. Usually they turn 15 until upto 34 knots. The "normal" User-Submarine is not fast enough to intercept a TaskForce from behind. You must be lucky to see them in front of you. There is mostly only a few seconds to shoot some torpedoes.

In SH3 there IS a Bug, well i will call it a Feature, that it will show an icon on the Nav-Map, but there is no Unit. It has nothing to do with GWX. It has to do with the 'GameExitDate='. But i'm sure this will NOT happen fifty times on different places. This will only happen, when one of the very Last intervall (DelayMinInterv=) from an RND-Group is already 'On the Way'.

Even the Picture in 1st post is nice, a picture tells more then hundred words, it has no useful information for me. What Date and Time exactly, what position of the boat, where is the TaskForce-icon.
Have you tried to find this TaskForce in the Campaign-files? The GWX is the original GWX?

I can only shoot a round into the blue heaven here...

BTW, to find 'Kameraden' with the same problems a SearchMashine may help. I would start with something like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=GWX+...ite:subsim.com
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 01:40 PM   #9
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

You get a report of a task force in a radio message?

Do this...............
Try the exact same mission after removing the messages_en.txt in the Campaign folder.
Old 08-24-22, 01:58 PM   #10
Hooston
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 15

'Tis the ghost task force I tell thee, doomed to travel between the Isle of Mull and Southend on Sea until the end of time (or 1941, whichever comes sooner). Its spirit can be detected over the aether yet none have seen it and lived to tell the tale.

To quote from the 1941 movie "The ghost train"

"If this be a natural thing, where do it come from, where do it go?"

Well, Scotland and Southend. So I think it must be a natural thing. Can someone go and sink it for me?
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 01:59 PM   #11
Steve_i400
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebe Vollmaus View Post
LOL. Nice idea, thank you!
Have you tried this yourself? How does it work for you?

set No= to 0
Will spawn one,

set No= to -1
will spawn one,

set SpawnProbability= to 0
will spawn one,

delete entries below MainEntry ([RndGroup X.RndUnit X])
will crash in-game when Group should spawn,

delete also this MainEntry
will crash the game onLoad CampaignMission.

For me your idea does not work.

Steve_i400
I have checked more or less all Main-BigMods Campaign-files including GWX v3.0 also known as "Gold", but have not found such crap.

Also i can not remember that i ever found a TaskForce sailing that slow. Usually they turn 15 until upto 34 knots. The "normal" User-Submarine is not fast enough to intercept a TaskForce from behind. You must be lucky to see them in front of you. There is mostly only a few seconds to shoot some torpedoes.

In SH3 there IS a Bug, well i will call it a Feature, that it will show an icon on the Nav-Map, but there is no Unit. It has nothing to do with GWX. It has to do with the 'GameExitDate='. But i'm sure this will NOT happen fifty times on different places. This will only happen, when one of the very Last intervall (DelayMinInterv=) from an RND-Group is already 'On the Way'.

Even the Picture in 1st post is nice, a picture tells more then hundred words, it has no useful information for me. What Date and Time exactly, what position of the boat, where is the TaskForce-icon.
Have you tried to find this TaskForce in the Campaign-files? The GWX is the original GWX?

I can only shoot a round into the blue heaven here...

BTW, to find 'Kameraden' with the same problems a SearchMashine may help. I would start with something like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=GWX+...ite:subsim.com
Hey, I could record you one of my many interception attempts? Would that give you enough info? I Just don't know how to upload it here, I guess i could make a youtube link.
Old 08-24-22, 02:18 PM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Now fellers, this is one of those situations where I do believe the original Campaign author (BBW) is having a little fun with y'all... lol - Look in the scripted layer, and you will see a small group that leaves Liverpool, and takes the long-way-round to Southend-On-Sea for the Thames estuary and probably London. This particular group is a grouping of merchant vessels (hence the 8 knots). However, since an Isle Trawler is listed as "Leader", it does show as a Task Force. That is the vagaries of the game. Merchant as Leader, makes it a convoy, even it it is 12 King Georg V BB and a half-dozen Illustrious CV, it will still be a convoy. So a warship as Leader, and you have a Task Force...

Now, as to you fellows passing by and NOT sinking perfectly valid targets, contrary to BdU instructions, and you can expect to be relieved of command upon RTB. Maybe even the possibility of being sent to the Eastern Front, when it opens...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 03:11 PM   #13
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

How sneaky of the GWX Team!
You know to date? NOT a single person has found ALL the hidden stuff!

Call them Easter Eggs or whatever. I know of 3 that not even GWX High Command knows of!
Old 08-24-22, 03:25 PM   #14
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Now fellers, this is one of those situations where I do believe the original Campaign author (BBW) is having a little fun with y'all... lol - Look in the scripted layer, and you will see a small group that leaves Liverpool, and takes the long-way-round to Southend-On-Sea for the Thames estuary and probably London. This particular group is a grouping of merchant vessels (hence the 8 knots). However, since an Isle Trawler is listed as "Leader", it does show as a Task Force. That is the vagaries of the game. Merchant as Leader, makes it a convoy, even it it is 12 King Georg V BB and a half-dozen Illustrious CV, it will still be a convoy. So a warship as Leader, and you have a Task Force...

Now, as to you fellows passing by and NOT sinking perfectly valid targets, contrary to BdU instructions, and you can expect to be relieved of command upon RTB. Maybe even the possibility of being sent to the Eastern Front, when it opens...

All U-boat captains having been noted for reporting 'ghost task forces' are hereby ordered to set course for grid square AB67 immediately.

All U-boat captains having been determined to fail to fire on merchant vessels will be relieved of command and court marshalled.

Be more aggressive.

BdU.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 03:36 PM   #15
Steve_i400
Swabbie

Alright everyone, here is the video of me trying to intercept the "ghost taskforce" Date is 27th of April 1940. These are the taskforces I was talking about, they are very common around this time.

I hope the link works....

Tags
bug, dissapearing, invisible, task force