SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-21, 05:19 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default New printer wanted

My Canon ip5200 has given up its life, I need a new one. To be fair, it served me long time, and well, but never was fully compatible with Windows 10 anyway, that old it is.

New printer should scan as well. WLAN welcomed. It would best be compatible both with Windows and Linux Mint.

I consider the Epson EcoTank ET-2750.

1.) Has anybody experience with the ecotank models by Epson, or with this one or the 2720 model?

2.) Has anyone experience with it under Linux?

3.) And I read that after some thousand pages or a time limit the ink pad inside needs to be replaced, and that this is a service job for Epson (on which they can cash in again). Is this true, is it a reason for concern, or can it be manually done?

4.) Can a Linux device be set up for connecting via WLAN? I read the WLAN connectivity is for mobiles (android that means), and that these then need an app (that would not be working under Linux Mint then).

Or does anybody know a good alternative with smart ink cost management and as little online subscription harassment as possible?
Old 03-06-21, 06:24 PM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

These printers might be worth a scan Skybird, (pardon the pun)

The 5 Best Printers With Cheap Ink - Winter 2021 Reviews

https://www.rtings.com/printer/reviews/best/cheap-ink
Old 03-06-21, 07:00 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Thanks, but the Canon printers are a no go (Canon joined the anti-Linux alliance almost from beginning on), and Canon uses these infamous chip counter that make sure the device breaks down after so and so many pages printed. ---> planned obsolence.

The brother printer seems to not print colours well, and I do some photo prints occasionally. However, Brother often supports Linux as well.

The ecotank printers by Epson by idea and design are attractive, and the printing costs are unbeatable and just a tenth of that of others. they even seem to have solved the older issue of the ink drying and thus blocking the rubber pipes leading th eink from the tanks to the printer head.

However, I investigated the problem with the waste ink pads. And found it is not difficult to remove them, wash them, dry them and set them in again. BUT: Epson insists on kind of planned obsolence, or enforced leasing even although you bought and thus own the device. You need to reset the printer with a software code after the hardware wash, and that code costs money. No service is given in return for the money, it even is third party companies selling these codes for around 10 bucks or so - BUT WHAT FOR? Resetting the waste ink pad counter makes sense, but where is the service or values they give me back when I pay for that code? They effectively demand to get paid for allowing me to use my printer again after I cleaned it?

Planned obsolence, everywhere. Maybe not as bad as the Canon cheating, but still I call foul. And criminal.

If no negative reviews come in, I probaly stick with the Epson envertheless. The ink costs are hilariously low. Ink cartridges cannot compete here, its another league. Third party ink for 25 Euros gets you 14000 black-white printouts or 5000 colour printouts. Wowh.

I do not complain about the ten bucks for that resettign code, I can easily afford that. I complain about the principle idea behind it. You pay for getting nothing. Its blackmailing.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-06-21 at 07:22 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 06:49 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

After having red feedback in some mplace wehre peopel said the thing runs well under their Linux Ubuntu, I ordered some minutes ago.

Lest wait and see.
Old 03-07-21, 07:11 AM   #5
Moonlight
Admiral

I've just bought this budget printer Skybird, it might not be the greatest printer out there but you only get what you pay for (it's being delivered tomorrow).
"Canon PIXMA TS5050 All-In-One Inkjet Printer - Black".
It's a Compact home printer, copier and scanner and it's apparently versatile and ink affordable, big plus for me was it can use compatible ink. I asked around and my secretary friend who can type a zillion words a minute put me onto it as she says it's what she uses at home, she doesn't print many images on it and what sealed the deal for me is I don't either.

I think I'll pop round soon and show her some appreciation for her advice,
Old 03-07-21, 09:25 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

I wish you satisfaciton with it! Hope you checked the ink mainetnace costs.

Canon is no choice for me since I want - finally - a full Linux compatible-by-default printer, since Linux is my main rig, Windows only my gaming and forum rig. My old canon printer ran on a third party driver for Linux, sinc eCanon does not support Linux, and so had it sissues. Photos did not work: I copied them via USB stick to my Windows game machine and printed them from there.

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B074V...5126757&sr=8-1

Even slightly cheaper here in Germany. And the ink costs: 14.000 pages in b/w or 5000 pages in colour - for 25 Euros. No cartridge printer gets even close to that. The old canon had comparable costs for one load of 3rd-party cartridges that held for not even a tenth of that paper volume.

P.S. Tip, if not oprinting often, make it a rule to print one coloured page per week. Must not be much, no need to waste. Just some use of all colours. It protects the printhead against drying and keeps the good juices inside flowing.
Old 03-10-21, 08:50 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Got the device this morning, and connected it. First impression: outstanding.

Hardware: the design is compact, the frame more robust than quite some others. Its higher than the Canon iP5200, but smaller in width and depth.

The ink system I already love. Very clverly designed and integrated, the flasks with the ink are key-coded at the top, you cannot fill them by mistake into the wrong tank. Very well thought-out. There are valves integrated, so when you turn them upside down and onto the tank's inlet, they do not drip ink.

Installation under Windows took some time, but was a breeze. Just folowing the steps on the printed instruction sheet. The display is a bit small, but the instructions it gives to lead you through the processes of setting the printer head up, are precise and right to the mark: excellent.

Scanning and printing quality is again very good.

I love it so far, if it stay slike this, I'll be a happy owner. Everything msakes a very well-thought out impression in design and detail. Should have made the switch earlier. My third Epson printer in my life, the other two also were very well for their times, compact and easy to use.

Printing costs: dont make me laugh. You dont beat this thing in this regard - bet...!?

P.S. Five ink flasks were included: 2x black, 1x red, blue, yellow. One black is a backup already. Black holds 127ml, the colours 70ml each . One set of four can be had for 25 Euros. Compare that with cartridges! Advertising says with one tank load you get 14000 pages black/white, and 5000 pages colour. Only laser printers work more economic, I assume. Or do they not?
Old 03-10-21, 09:57 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Linux works fine, too. Was a bit more work, needed to search the Epson driver for Linux manually and via forum, the Epson default website says "no drivers",but they are there, one just needs to find out how to dig for them.
Old 03-12-21, 11:28 AM   #9
Moonlight
Admiral

That's a good printer old boy but why didn't you get the ET-3750 version?, the canon I bought was needed for a print job that needed to be done on the Monday, as it was an urgent job any printer was better than none.

I will give it away to charity now as the warden in our bungalow complex says we can all do any printing or scanning we need doing using the office printer for a small donation towards costs.
Old 03-12-21, 03:08 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
That's a good printer old boy but why didn't you get the ET-3750 version?,
1.) costs 100 - 120 coins more.
2.) printing resolution of mine is slighlty higher (yes, the smaller printer has higher printing resolution and smaller ink droplets, its true)
3.) have no need for an automatic multi paper feed, I only scan rarely somethign and then it mostly is single page only.
4.) flat top due to the missing multi paper feed, therefore the suface can be used to put (light) things on it.

WiFi now also put together, works. Simple.

After some days I must say the design and the functionality details are still superb. Its not my first Epson in my life, but alreeady my third, if not fourth, I may have forgotten one. They all were excellent value for their money, and excellently designed and compact. Seems to be the to-go-to brand for printer now, at least for me. For Linux, Brother and Epson are practically without alternative, they are the only brands I know providing factory drivers for Linux by default. Not sure about HP, but I only always hear cursing and angry yelling when somebody mentions HP printers. And when I look at their costs for ink cartridges... I'm very happy with my device. Printed some photos now as well on photo paper. Very good, much better than the reviews suggested. Sufficiently serves my needs. And no cryptic display instructions, but very easy, straight handling. Thats how it is to be done.

He who buys cheap a printer, pays more afterwards for the ink. Better invest more into a good printer, and save on ink later on. Over the distance, you most likely save money this way.