SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-21, 03:37 PM   #1
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default SHIII.exe...takes 2 double clicks to start?

I have a clean, unmodded install of SHIII (1.4b) with no Starforce protection.
SHIII is installed on it's own, dedicated HDD and my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

I am looking forward to getting back into SHIII and will be using GWX 3.0 supermod along with a widescreen GUI mod and some other smaller mods.

Before I touch this clean SHIII install, I have a minor annoyance that I want to clear up before I start modding.

Double-clicking the "SHIII.exe", the first time, does nothing. Whether it's the actually exe or a shortcut...nothing much seems to happen...maybe a bit of HDD access but game will not open. Double-clicking a second time on the EXE or shortcut opens the game immediately.

This may be some Windows 7 UAC stupidity...I don't know as no errors come up on first attempt. It's a minor annoyance BUT...I would like to ensure it is not an indication of something importantly wrong with this install before I move ahead.

Any enlightenment is appreciated.
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-21, 03:42 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3 View Post
I have a clean, unmodded install of SHIII (1.4b) with no Starforce protection.
SHIII is installed on it's own, dedicated HDD and my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

I am looking forward to getting back into SHIII and will be using GWX 3.0 supermod along with a widescreen GUI mod and some other smaller mods.

Before I touch this clean SHIII install, I have a minor annoyance that I want to clear up before I start modding.

Double-clicking the "SHIII.exe", the first time, does nothing. Whether it's the actually exe or a shortcut...nothing much seems to happen...maybe a bit of HDD access but game will not open. Double-clicking a second time on the EXE or shortcut opens the game immediately.

This may be some Windows 7 UAC stupidity...I don't know as no errors come up on first attempt. It's a minor annoyance BUT...I would like to ensure it is not an indication of something importantly wrong with this install before I move ahead.

Any enlightenment is appreciated.
Ahoy, prowler3...

With regards to your SH3 copy, what is the source for it & where in your HD do you have it installed, if you would make that known. Thanks...

M. M.

Old 01-24-21, 05:08 PM   #3
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Double-clicking the "SHIII.exe", the first time, does nothing.
Sounds like this silly issue with Windows. Hopefully an easy fix:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...7&postcount=15
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-21, 07:05 PM   #4
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:
[...]my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate[...]

An addition to what stork100 wrote:
This behavior is related to GameUX.dll.

The DLL tries to phone Home to get a DVD-Inlet-Picture for SH3 (MyDocuments\myPictures\SH3.jpg) and tells Microsoft that you will be playing SH3 now. When no Internet connection exist this will Fail, the DLL waits some time. Around 5 Minutes or so, before the game will be started. So when the "2nd Start" ends, there may be the "first" (later started) game in the background. When an Internet-connection is established the game will start immediatly.

This behavior was heavily discussed on Microsoft-Servers when this pops up for the first time on Win7 before April 2015. On more hardened Win7-machines it may "takeown" and "cacls" are needed to rename that DLL. This will eliminate this problem, but will also take down the "GameManager" in Win7, on which other installed games may relay on.

HTH.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 02:15 PM   #5
prowler3
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, prowler3...

With regards to your SH3 copy, what is the source for it & where in your HD do you have it installed, if you would make that known. Thanks...

M. M.

This is a non-starforce SH3 install from DVD, already patched to 1.4b. It resides on "Drive F" at "F:\SilentHunterIII\sh3.exe".
Old 01-25-21, 03:28 PM   #6
prowler3
XO

So far, what I'm reading is...the remedy might be worse than the problem?

@Hebe Vollmaus, "When no Internet connection exist this will Fail, the DLL waits some time. Around 5 Minutes or so, before the game will be started." I have a working internet connection everytime this happens?
Old 01-25-21, 04:49 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
This is a non-starforce SH3 install from DVD, already patched to 1.4b. It resides on "Drive F" at "F:\SilentHunterIII\sh3.exe".
Ok, on that not sure what could be the issue then... other than knowing you have it installed in a good spot then...

Reason I asked for a definitive identification of the source for SH3 was... in knowing that with obtaining it from Ubi, as the source... that they have 2 icons of SH3 in the main folder... 1 of which is the actual .exe for it, that the other 1 can be confused with being thought of as being the .exe that needs to be used, when it is not.

Add to that, the actual .exe has a _(letter) assigned to it, whereas the Steam version only has 1 icon in their main folder only... & does NOT contain that _(letter) tagged on to the end of the .exe... hopefully I haven't confused you with all this details...

Ubi, in short, with the way they did all that, can cause confusion & lead the user of theirs to erroneously, clicking on the wrong icon, thinking they are clicking the right 1... if you follow what I am saying here...

With the or having a DVD/CD to work with, I've never done.. so, I have no knowledge of using 1 to do an install from or much less what issues there may be from doing so... so, am going to bow out & let others with more knowledge assist from here...

I do wish you good luck with getting things set up & running...

M. M.

Old 01-25-21, 05:43 PM   #8
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Icon10

Quote:

@Hebe Vollmaus, "When no Internet connection exist this will Fail, the DLL waits some time. Around 5 Minutes or so, before the game will be started." I have a working internet connection everytime this happens?
I think you should get away with this ...

when at Mad Mardigan I never understand any of his gibberish.
it comes from the fact that you have installed the game or it was not necessary it is because of game explorer which sends rockets to the server ...

Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 05:49 PM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
I think you should get away with this ...

when at Mad Mardigan I never understand any of his gibberish.
it comes from the fact that you have installed the game or it was not necessary it is because of game explorer which sends rockets to the server ...

Ahoy, Kal_Maximus_U669...

The main gist of what I said was this...

If you have access to obtaining SH3, from Ubisoft themselves, dirrectly...
upon opening up the SH3 install folder, will then see that there are 2 icons marked as ''SH3''... 1 of these is the actual .exe needed to be used to run SH3... & the other is NOT... the .exe that is used to run SH3, has an addition to it that the copy obtained from ''Steam'' does NOT have added to the actual, useable .exe to run SH3... namely with the Ubisoft .exe version of the inclusion of _F or _g at the end so it ends up looking as follows:

SH3.exe_f or SH3.exe_g

Steam, is just plain out:

SH3.exe (provided you have files set up to show their entire hidden attributes... which I did, at 1 time, but set it up to do away with that... just the way I like doing it...

Hope this helps you to better understand what I was getting at now....

M. M.

Old 01-25-21, 06:07 PM   #10
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Ahoy, Kal_Maximus_U669...

The main gist of what I said was this...

If you have access to obtaining SH3, from Ubisoft themselves, dirrectly...
upon opening up the SH3 install folder, will then see that there are 2 icons marked as ''SH3''... 1 of these is the actual .exe needed to be used to run SH3... & the other is NOT... the .exe that is used to run SH3, has an addition to it that the copy obtained from ''Steam'' does NOT have added to the actual, useable .exe to run SH3... namely with the Ubisoft .exe version of the inclusion of _F or _g at the end so it ends up looking as follows:

SH3.exe_f or SH3.exe_g

Steam, is just plain out:

SH3.exe (provided you have files set up to show their entire hidden attributes... which I did, at 1 time, but set it up to do away with that... just the way I like doing it...

Hope this helps you to better understand what I was getting at now....

M. M.

Ahoy Mad Mardigan

I allowed myself to heckle you a little Who loves well chatises as well
let's wait to see if the problem and fix ...
have you had pool sound?
good day to you and without resentful
Old 01-25-21, 06:16 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Ahoy Mad Mardigan

I allowed myself to heckle you a little Who loves well chatises as well
let's wait to see if the problem and fix ...
have you had pool sound?
good day to you and without resentful

A good hunt, to you, as well Kal_Maximus

M. M.

And no resentment here... text is grand but not without limitations... more keen, when different languages are in the mix... so no worries mate.

The only time I had a CD/DVD copy of SH, was back on a desktop running Win 98 SE, & was SH: Commanders Edition... & that was many... many moons ago...

Every thing else that I have dealt with regarding SH has been though either Steam or Ubisoft... through online downloads... which I readily admit to being limited in knowledge to issues faced by those using CD/DVD means of installs for SH in any version...

It is hoped that prowler, is able to get this snafu they are having with their copy of SH3 resolved & in as judicious a timely manner as it possible... so that they can then enjoy getting on the hunt in the game...

M. M.

Old 01-25-21, 06:24 PM   #12
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:

A good hunt, to you, as well Kal_Maximus

M. M.

And no resentment here... text is grand but not without limitations... more keen, when different languages are in the mix... so no worries mate.

The only time I had a CD/DVD copy of SH, was back on a desktop running Win 98 SE, & was SH: Commanders Edition... & that was many... many moons ago...

Every thing else that I have dealt with regarding SH has been though either Steam or Ubisoft... through online downloads... which I readily admit to being limited in knowledge to issues faced by those using CD/DVD means of installs for SH in any version...

It is hoped that prowler, is able to get this snafu they are having with their copy of SH3 resolved & in as judicious a timely manner as it possible... so that they can then enjoy getting on the hunt in the game...

M. M.

there is nothing to worry about we are here to learn .... did you manage to download Sound for SH3 GWX pach 1.03 from Poul?..?
Old 01-25-21, 06:31 PM   #13
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:

I'm sorry, i am the Master of my Computer, so this is not really "a Problem".
On my system it needs to be executed two Batch-files (as Admin) to get rid of this ugly behavior. This is needed whenever "System File Checker tool" (sfc.exe) has restored this DLL.

I do not use Win10 (yes i mean Win10), but according to the Rumor in the Internet MS has dropped support for this 'GameExplorer'. Have you ever heard of that? It means that the WebSide it directs to seems to be also closed. This means also, it will react the same as it has no Internet-connection.

Look here, (as of a lot of other Websites!) they have collected almost all infos needed to understand this "Problem":
http://forum.lastos.org/index.php?th...indows-7.1821/
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 06:33 PM   #14
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
there is nothing to worry about we are here to learn .... did you manage to download Sound for SH3 GWX pach 1.03 from Poul?..?
I do have Poul's sound mod, but was NOT aware of a patch for it... will assign some time to do a look see about that, thanks for pointing that info out... Thanks.

M. M.

Old 01-25-21, 06:37 PM   #15
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebe Vollmaus View Post
I'm sorry, i am the Master of my Computer, so this is not really "a Problem".
On my system it needs to be executed two Batch-files (as Admin) to get rid of this ugly behavior. This is needed whenever "System File Checker tool" (sfc.exe) has restored this DLL.

I do not use Win10 (yes i mean Win10), but according to the Rumor in the Internet MS has dropped support for this 'GameExplorer'. Have you ever heard of that? It means that the WebSide it directs to seems to be also closed. This means also, it will react the same as it has no Internet-connection.

Look here, (as of a lot of other Websites!) they have collected almost all infos needed to understand this "Problem":
http://forum.lastos.org/index.php?th...indows-7.1821/
yes that's exactly it... wunderbar:

Tags
issues