SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-25-09, 01:45 AM   #16
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

I've played around with it running it on a virtual machine within Linux. It would not let me upgrade my copy of Vista because it doesn't like that I'm not using the Windows boot loader, and I haven't been bothered to fix that yet.

But it does seem like a modest improvement over Vista. I run it in VirtualBox at 512 MB of RAM, and it is usable. The interface is sexier as well.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 03:44 AM   #17
Ping Jockey
Medic

Downloads: 294

Did upgrade from Vista ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate. Went very well. But Win 7 doesn't like Starforce so SH3 won't load.
Old 10-25-09, 05:56 PM   #18
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Ping - load 1.4 (or 1.5) and it won't matter. CP is removed. Of course - if you want a prepatched version - just update your starforce.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 07:59 AM   #19
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Anyone? If so, how? New computer with 7 installed? Upgrade from Vista? Any XP converts to 7?
No. 7 is basically an update to Vista.
It has all the shortcomings of Vista and since I hated Vista there is no chance in hell I'll buy 7.
I'll keep using xp32 for the time being, and later on update to xp64.
The Ars Technica review is pretty dead on, 7 is simply Vista SP2 renamed. No more, no less.
I think the big changes, and corrections to the many core mistakes that are still in 7 will hopefully be implemented in Windows 8.
That should be around 2014 just in time for Microsoft to stop supporting xp.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 11:18 AM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I would not bet money on Windows 8. As I said in another thread, the future seem to be cloud computing, and no more OS like we used to know them. Google company is on that way since their very beginning as a company.

Reviews also say that 7 is better than Vista: it is slim compared to Vista, and faster, also less compatability issues.

I plan to run XP as long as it is supported or my machine does not break down. I then will go with the medium version of 7, due to it having the XP-emulation (compatability) mode. that should increase my cnaces of not needing to give up old software.

Ping Jockey,

forum rules prohibit me to give you the details, but there are ways to install SH3 from the old discs (the disc is still needed for installation) without needing to install it's Starforce. I assume after so many years, with SH4 out and SH5 coming, it does not matter if I give you this hint. Now, there is Google, and there is you... Don't ask us questions on it.
Old 10-26-09, 02:56 PM   #21
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92

there is this thread in the SH3 section

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157285
SeaWolf U-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 03:18 PM   #22
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

No need to be secretive Skybird, Ubisoft many years ago patched Starforce out of SH III. Heck the budget edition I bought 2 years after the game was released had no protection of any kind. If you have one of the first editions of SH III then just download the official last patch from Ubisoft and you're good to go.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 05:33 PM   #23
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Win 7 is NOT Vista Sp2....

Don't know where you got that idea, but its incorrect.

The kernel has been modified (less crap that you can't turn off), networking has been almost entirely reworked, service interdependancies have been streamlined, and 16 bit functionality is GONE. The last alone required serious kernel changes. This of course doesn't even touch the UI enhancements.

You couldn't do that with an SP, unless you want another like XP sp2 - which WAS pretty much a totally new OS in reality.

What shortcomings in Vista do you see that are not present in XP? What "works" in XP that doesn't in Vista or 7?

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 05:39 PM   #24
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Using 7 Pro x64 on my laptop...stepped up from Vista HP x64 on the 22nd (Hooray $29.99 student license). So far the only thing that doesn't like the upgrade is my fingerprint scanner software. I hope ASUS puts out an update (but I'm not holding my breath).
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 06:52 PM   #25
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
Win 7 is NOT Vista Sp2....

Don't know where you got that idea, but its incorrect.

The kernel has been modified (less crap that you can't turn off), networking has been almost entirely reworked, service interdependancies have been streamlined, and 16 bit functionality is GONE. The last alone required serious kernel changes. This of course doesn't even touch the UI enhancements.

You couldn't do that with an SP, unless you want another like XP sp2 - which WAS pretty much a totally new OS in reality.

What shortcomings in Vista do you see that are not present in XP? What "works" in XP that doesn't in Vista or 7?

Quote:
Verdict: Windows 7 - Like Vista, just a bit easier to use and less annoying
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4277

As it stands now it makes no sense to get Windows7 for a few more gadgets and a kernals. I will keep my $150.00 and continue using Vista. I enjoy Vista.
Old 10-27-09, 06:55 AM   #26
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

A Definitive Windows 7 vs Vista Performance Comparison.

Quote:
Most of Win7’s performance improvements clearly come from improved multithreaded/multitasking performance
http://www.hardcoreware.net/windows-7-vs-vista-performance-comparison/

Last edited by longam; 10-27-09 at 07:12 AM.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 03:14 AM   #27
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92

All I will say as a EX-Vista 32bit user is good riddance to a dam annoying operating system that made doing anything long winded although in all fairness I never had the problems some did.
And hello to Windows 7 64bit version that offers me all the same features as Vista and a whole lot more. and although I am using the 64bit version Windows 7 it runs so much better on my machine opening things faster browsing faster and a much better interface with my documents. I think it is money well spent to upgrade although how it displays SH3 takes some getting use to but I expect someone will come up with a fix soon. I am running the Premium version and even SH3 + wac4.1 runs smother.
SeaWolf U-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 09:16 AM   #28
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Tried a release back in aug, but will stick with Vista and XP dual setup on main pc. Might think about Win 7 after sp1 comes out.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 03:52 PM   #29
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf U-57 View Post
All I will say as a EX-Vista 32bit user is good riddance to a dam annoying operating system that made doing anything long winded although in all fairness I never had the problems some did.
And hello to Windows 7 64bit version that offers me all the same features as Vista and a whole lot more. and although I am using the 64bit version Windows 7 it runs so much better on my machine opening things faster browsing faster and a much better interface with my documents. I think it is money well spent to upgrade although how it displays SH3 takes some getting use to but I expect someone will come up with a fix soon. I am running the Premium version and even SH3 + wac4.1 runs smother.
Agreed! 64bit is simply evolution.
Old 10-29-09, 07:38 PM   #30
Torps
Captain

Downloads: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Anyone? If so, how? New computer with 7 installed? Upgrade from Vista? Any XP converts to 7?

Hey Neal,

I have been using 7 RC for quite a few months. It runs great. No problems with drivers, no freezing at all, even though I have 40+ programs installed. It is almost as fast as XP. I will be upgrading to the full version soon. Go to newegg.com and you can get the "system builders version" for $109. Not an upgrade, the full version. You have to choose between the 32 bit or 64bit. I would suggest the 64bit especially if you have more then 3gigs of memory. Howver you can pay for the full retail version which includes both.

GL Neal.

Contributor
PE for ROW
Reflections on Water
ROW Sound Effects

R.I.P Dave Bunnel aka LeoVampire
Torps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows 7