SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-13, 09:07 AM   #1
morra707
Watch

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Is it possible to Chanage graphic files (.tga) in Sh4 and not harm "ANY" MegaMod?

Is it possible to Chanage graphic files (.tga) in Sh4 and not harm "ANY" MegaMod?
I want to change the muzzle flash from the deck gun on american subs, hit flash from the same gun (same file I think), and sea color "back to stock" in TMO 2.5 with RSRDC 5XXX.

Is it really that simple?
Can someone point me to the right game files?
I think the cloud.tga file is for muzzle flash.

Thank you.
morra707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 02:02 PM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

yes you can change tga and dds files and have no side effects to the game other then what the file makes it look like.

I cant say off hand which files are the ones you are looking for but its much easier and better to delete those files from TMO rather then have TMO replace them and you then you will need to replace those with stock copies again just to get back to where you started before TMO.
Old 05-16-13, 03:34 PM   #3
morra707
Watch

Thankyou very much.

I beleive I understand. Once I identify the files I want to change (or leave alone) I would delete them from TMO install directories so my stock files they don't get overwrtten when I apply TMO, right?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-13, 05:12 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morra707 View Post
Thankyou very much.

I beleive I understand. Once I identify the files I want to change (or leave alone) I would delete them from TMO install directories so my stock files they don't get overwrtten when I apply TMO, right?

Thanks.
that is correct.

its always best to set things up so you reduce the number of changes you need to make and this reduces the chances of having conflicts and issues
Old 05-16-13, 09:37 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

You might want to comment out the files, instead of deleting them. Put a ";" in front of the files, so the program ignores it. Then if you change your mind, just remove the ";" to restore the file.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 04:03 PM   #6
morra707
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
You might want to comment out the files, instead of deleting them. Put a ";" in front of the files, so the program ignores it. Then if you change your mind, just remove the ";" to restore the file.
I have to do some research because I do not know which file to open to comment out the item. I have edited various config files in other games to customise them such as this, but i have never had to decompress and recompress files to get this to work.

It would be great if you could tell me which groups or threads I can search to learn which files I need to work with or if you could tell me would be great. If not no prob. I will just search the forums.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-13, 05:51 PM   #7
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

If you want the sea colors in stock for TMO, you basically have two choices, either accept all the colors of stock and use the stock env file or go into TMO's env. file and adjust the sea colors to stock values. There is no way to seperate just the sea colors out of the env. file.

Have you tried Improved Stock Env. mod by caustic, the sea colors are closer to stock. If you want stock colors, simply make a copy of the stock Env files and make a mod out of it. This will change the colors, but you'll still have all of TMO's shaders, filters, scene dat. settings, etc.

I think I may already have a mod for stock env colors for TMO, be glad to email it to you.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 01:34 PM   #8
morra707
Watch

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
If you want the sea colors in stock for TMO, you basically have two choices, either accept all the colors of stock and use the stock env file or go into TMO's env. file and adjust the sea colors to stock values. There is no way to seperate just the sea colors out of the env. file.

Have you tried Improved Stock Env. mod by caustic, the sea colors are closer to stock. If you want stock colors, simply make a copy of the stock Env files and make a mod out of it. This will change the colors, but you'll still have all of TMO's shaders, filters, scene dat. settings, etc.

I think I may already have a mod for stock env colors for TMO, be glad to email it to you.
Thats the way I ill go. I didn't want to use any environment mod because I was scared it would wreck the TMO mod. But I think only .dat file adjustments would do that.

What files would be adjusted if I ant to change the muzzle flash of the "deck gun" AND the "impact flash" when it hits a target? They seem to be the same graphic. The stock versions are more "fire and mist" looks better to me. The current TMO seems to be "cloudy" "rolling bubble like" . The big gun and charge I don't think would have fire "clouds" right out of the barrel because it would be too hot and everything would be incinerated. The air would be pushed out so "fast" in one direction there would be no time to form a "gas cloud" or "bubbles of gasess" right from the barrel. Sh4 1.4 and 1.5 seem better to me in that respect.

The blue sea in TMO but It seems too "Surreal" compared to most wwII films, except of course "Midway" with Henry Fonda or "incredible Mr. Limpit"! I have cruised the pacific and it seems more grey. I like the TMO version though because it looks like that the way the ocean "should" look

I like the motions in TMO. I will play with the gamma but I think the ocean may be a bit too blue for my purposes.

The Explosions are great!

Thanks!
Old 05-22-13, 03:29 PM   #9
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

you have to keep in mind this fact, TMO was designed by Ducimus and the specific things he adjusted that controls everything to do with the AI and sensors to work with the environmental mod that's built into it.

making changes to the environment WILL change things with the sensors and the AI. the extent to which you see it and its noticed is unknown based on the changes you make so a very large part of what makes TMO can and may be messed up by doing so.

just something to consider if your only complaint is your not happy about the water color so is color of the water worth risking the side effects that might result from your efforts to change it.
Old 05-22-13, 05:42 PM   #10
morra707
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
you have to keep in mind this fact, TMO was designed by Ducimus and the specific things he adjusted that controls everything to do with the AI and sensors to work with the environmental mod that's built into it.

making changes to the environment WILL change things with the sensors and the AI. the extent to which you see it and its noticed is unknown based on the changes you make so a very large part of what makes TMO can and may be messed up by doing so.

just something to consider if your only complaint is your not happy about the water color so is color of the water worth risking the side effects that might result from your efforts to change it.
Some files can be altered and some can't .Files I downloaded for graphics mention TMO compat because they only change this or that. I will double check hich ones I can. Like .tga I am pretty sure I can change and also .dds I think

Thanks.

I am also interrested in the deck gun flash and impact.

Not sure if its possible to change , but the impact flash from deck gun in tmo 2.5 is same for armor peircing and high explosive rounds.

The only reason I am concerned is because I think the flashes and colors in stock game seem to look more real wether or not they were accurate.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-13, 11:05 PM   #11
hooper129
Swabbie

Downloads: 35

that is correct.
hooper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 03:20 AM   #12
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by morra707 View Post
Thats the way I ill go. I didn't want to use any environment mod because I was scared it would wreck the TMO mod. But I think only .dat file adjustments would do that.

What files would be adjusted if I ant to change the muzzle flash of the "deck gun" AND the "impact flash" when it hits a target? They seem to be the same graphic. The stock versions are more "fire and mist" looks better to me. The current TMO seems to be "cloudy" "rolling bubble like" . The big gun and charge I don't think would have fire "clouds" right out of the barrel because it would be too hot and everything would be incinerated. The air would be pushed out so "fast" in one direction there would be no time to form a "gas cloud" or "bubbles of gasess" right from the barrel. Sh4 1.4 and 1.5 seem better to me in that respect.

The blue sea in TMO but It seems too "Surreal" compared to most wwII films, except of course "Midway" with Henry Fonda or "incredible Mr. Limpit"! I have cruised the pacific and it seems more grey. I like the TMO version though because it looks like that the way the ocean "should" look

I like the motions in TMO. I will play with the gamma but I think the ocean may be a bit too blue for my purposes.

The Explosions are great!

Thanks!
I would have to find the flashes, but I'll look for them.

As far as changing colors, many don't like the blue of TMO. It's not so muching changing the tone as the depth of color that has effect. For instance, if you don't like the blue water, you could change it to a tone, say more grey or green without any effect on the AI. Playing with the colors really doesn't have much impact during the day as it does night.
Even at night, you have to go really black before it effects the AI as much. You may want to try Caustics Improved Stock Env. for TMO, he simply changes colors.

The main thing that effects the AI in the Env file is the SunMultiplication and SunSkyInfluence. What settings work with the sun, also apply to the moon at night, so if you increase a sun value during the night, it can have great impact on visuals as both increase light. They're several values in scene dat that do have effect on the AI.

TMO, like any supermod tweaks sensors to env. You basically get a desired env look then tweak other values in sim and sensors, ect. Really, they're numerous values you adjust to get a decent balance between env and sensors.

Anyway, if you want to change the blue of TMO during the day, you should be OK just adjusting water colors, etc.. Many have tweaked TMO to ease up on the blue look.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, graphics, sea, stock